Sign in to follow this  
Flingo

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Well someone had to start a thread to actually discuss the book!

Try not to provide too many spoilers, but as there was lots of discussion in the "Who's going to be reading HP6" and the Childrens Discussion list, I thought it deserved a specific home!

Who wants to start us off with their opinions??

My original thoughts are in the children's section, but it seems better to continue here.

I know what you mean, Flingo, about the length, but personally I'd rather have a delightfully fluffy souffle that's gone in a few minutes than a bucket of lardy stodge that I'm forcing down for hours. "Never mind the quality, feel the width" doesn't go with me! If we'd had something of the length and stature of Azkaban I'd have been a lot happier.

Should have said that Snape's storyline was interesting and obviously develops a key narrative thread that's run throughout, but was there any real development of the other characters (apart from examining one another's tonsils, that is)? Malfoy obviously progressed to a new level, which was part of Snape's thread, but not enough was made of it. For the whole book we simply know he's up to something: no real clues or development, just Harry getting obsessively curious. It's difficult to be properly involved with that after a while (length again) unless we're given more to work with. Same with the attacks: they're not really investigated, we follow no clues, so we don't even feel the same air of menace there was in Chamber of Secrets.

We start the book hearing about Dementors breeding, the country under attack, the new Inferi and we're expecting something grander, especially after the previous books took us away from Hogwarts. Instead it all turns out to be preparation for the final book, like everything else.

I've been a real Potter fan, don't get me wrong, but the Half-Blood Prince feels half-baked to me; a glorified preface to the final act. Or am I just being an embittered Argus Filch?

Who knows. Off to feed Mrs N.

Mmmm. I couldn't resist pondering something like that - it surprised me that Rowling seemed to resolve the Snape ambiguity so completely in the penultimate novel.

That said, we've become used to the fact that she's cranking up the seriousness of each character's demise, and comments she made over the weekend seem to suggest there's going to be quite a body count in the final book, so it all seems in keeping with that. I think she'd be opening herself up to heavy accusations of Tolkienesque plotting if she brought the aged, all-knowing wizard back from the dead. I'm not sure we could accept a Gandalfdore scenario.

Well someone had to start a thread to actually discuss the book!

This ought to be in the Hardback Bestsellers forum,but that only lists books that were best-sellers 3 months ago :rolleyes:

I've just finished this and am happy to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found the last book (whose name escapes me) slow, dull and convoluted, but this one seemed to zip along nicely and avoided the 'set pieces' that J.K. seemed to be getting too fond of.

Having said that, I can see what people are saying about the lack of character development and it does all seem to be a bit of stage setting for the finale. I didn't find the length to be a problem, even though nothing seemed to be happening for long periods. I realise that this seems to make no sense, but I just feel that the HP books are a good effortless read and should be take at face value. No one claims that they are Tolkeinesque classics, just good fun.

When is the next one due?

Quote:

Originally posted by Mungus

No one claims that they are Tolkeinesque classics, just good fun.

Well, since The Prisoner of Azkaban was promoted heavily to win the overall Whitbread Book of the Year, being beaten only by Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf because apparently one judge threatened to resign from the panel if a "children's book" won it (why EVER have the best children's books in the final stand-off, then?), clearly the series has been seen as carrying some weight. That said, though, I do look at it as fun, just not as much fun as it used to be, which was my problem. I only made the comparison with Tolkien because it seemed that the (just notional, of course) idea of the mighty guiding wizard being seen to die by the young, impressionable hero who had come to rely upon him, only for him to be magically 'ressurrected' at a later stage might seem a bit, well, derivative? I'm sure she'll have the sense not to do that anyway. He's Dumbledonefor, I'm afraid.

As for when the next one's due, JK said she'd start working on it towards the end of this year, though had a few bits 'n' pieces in place already. I think the pattern seems to be developing that a two-year wait is to be expected, though I suspect the film schedules will start to feel the pips squeak at this rate! I think filming's just about done on The Goblet of Fire and Phoenix will soon be under starter's orders.

Doubtless within a couple of months you'll be able to pre-order HP7 at Amazon, though. ;)

Just finished it today and I really enjoyed it, far more so than OP. I think the ending of this book has left me anxious for the next far more than previous ones did - so that must be a good thing. I am glad that a few usual features didn't occur in this one though - dont want to say too much incase people are still reading it! The Malfoy/Dumbledore/Snape confrontation was excellent and my reading pace quickened considerably!

I liked it - didn't find it stodgy going at all, although I agree we could probably have been given more information about the things supposed to be going on in the background which would have hiked the tension up.

To add to the cautionary note at the start, if I hadn't already read the book I would probably be able to work out most of the plot from some of the previous comments so we probably ought to be a little more cryptic or use the 'spoiler' thingy.

Mmmm. Guilty as charged, Lucyb. I shouldn't have said so much. I had felt that the press and internet coverage of the big demise leaked by people at the publishers was so extensive that probably everyone knew. But they probably didn't and I suppose there was still enough doubt around about whether it was true or not.

I certainly didn't want to spoil anyone's read. Could you explain the 'spoiler thingy'?

If only memory charms really existed!

Sorry, sorry, sorry.

I've just finished HP6 and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It kept me on the edge of my seat until the end. Regarding Snape

JK Rowling seemed to make it so obvious that he was on Voldemort's side from the very beginning, it just makes me feel that it can't be true. Perhaps Dumbledore had told Snape to kill him if there was no other choice in order that Harry will still have someone on his side for the next book

. Anyway I hope she hurries up and writes the next one soon!

I found the ending didn't make me want to read the next one so much, it answers so many of the questions, that I kinda felt it was the end of the series. I will be interested in seeing where Rowling can take it!

I'm about halfway through it, got my hands on a copy finally....I'm not enjoying it as much as the others - I don't really find it as gripping but it's still pretty good.

I have finished the book and loved it but feel very flat now that it has ended. I have to disagree with the previous comments about The Order of the Phoenix - I loved that book, so much happened in it and it was so exciting learning about the group and what they get up to and how they fight etc. This book I felt lacked action.

With regard to Snape I don't think he is evil at all as dumbledore was not surprised to see him and I interpreted his plee to snape to mean "do it!" and not to protect Harry but rather to protect Malfoy and prevent him becoming a murderer as Dumbledore always sees the best in people and does not want any children corrupted. I think if Dumbledore is dead then he is dead and will only come back as a ghost or through some magical method whereby he can communicate - perhaps via a picture? He may not be dead as they talked alot about blocking curses in this book and with Dumbledore being a superb brain he may have been able to do this so that he can proceed with attempting to destroy the rest of the Horcruxes.

Incidently anyone else think possibly Harry is a horcrux?

I agree - at first i thought Harry is a Horcrux for his father since alot seems to revolve his father and his generation - or is that too much as Harry is already his son? I then considered that Harry may be a horcrux for Voldemort since he xcan also speak parseltongue and i would think that an animate horcrux would pick up features of the horcruxee.

I think Dumbledore will appear in the next book in the mirror that brought Harry's parents back to life for him, to instruct Harry in the inevitable battle with Voldemort - I think Malfoy will die in the conflict.

God no - my life is on hold till then- just imagine what we will be like when we have read the last one and there is no more - EVER!!

God no - my life is on hold till then- just imagine what we will be like when we have read the last one and there is no more - EVER!!

I will be glad when it is all over - I don't think my hubby will tolerate anymore weekends of me being absent from the family, with my head stuck in a HP book. Till then though I will obsess and feel the void that waiting for the next one and finishing the last has created!

I didn't enjoy this HP as much as Order of the Phoenix. I felt it lacked a lot in the middle and I didn't feel the characters were developed very much.

All that said, I can't wait for the next one. This book does feel like a bit of a long preface to the next. I felt it has left more unanswered questions than any of the others - the whole Snape story line surely that can't be it, where (or indeed who) are the rest of the Horcrux and who the hell is R.A.B?

(I still think Neville will pull through and he will be the one to do in Voldemort. :) )

I really enjoyed HP6, in fact I think it's possibly my favourite. Nothing much happened in the first 400 pages, but I like Rowling's universe and I'm happy to spend time there. Then the action kicked in and it was a roller coaster ride until the end.

I'd like to post about the ending, but I haven't worked out how to use the spoiler button. Can someone tell me what to do, please ;)

I'd like to post about the ending, but I haven't worked out how to use the spoiler button. Can someone tell me what to do, please ;)

I have sent you a private message telling you how to do it