Sign in to follow this  
cjstevens8

New guy discusses his favs...

Hey there bookworms,

Im 22 and currently reading a book published in about '67 called

'The Tattooed Rood', only about 40 pages in but very cool well written and exciting so far. Anyone else ever read this??

Okay another of my favourite books of all time is The Fog by James Herbert, probably one of my favourite authors ever, anyone else enjoy his stuff??

Im not a compete cultural loser, I have read 'Frankensten' and think this is one of the greatest novels of all time, and I studied English and American lit at Uni finding a special fondness for Fitzgerald 'The Great Gatsby' and also Faulkner 'Light in August' very very good book.

Anyway, I am currently embarking on a quest to read the Observer top 100 novels ever, starting with Don Quiote. Any one ever read this? Good?

So anyhoo, modern books...I am a very big Elmore Leanord fan and am also going to try and read my first ever B.E Ellis book soon, anyone got any comments?? Recommendations based on what I have already mentioned.

Thanks people,

CJ :D

So anyhoo, modern books...I am a very big Elmore Leanord fan and am also going to try and read my first ever B.E Ellis book soon, anyone got any comments?? Recommendations based on what I have already mentioned.

Thanks people,

Hmmm, not Glamourama - I hated that book and it put me off Ellis for life. I used to really like his stuff though and even queued to meet him at a reading. Rules of Attraction is fab, but you can't beat American Psycho, though sometimes I have to hide that book it scares me so.

These lot are a real talkative bunch aren't they?
You've just got to catch us when we're all here!

Re: your favourite books.

I agree about Frankenstein. Disagree about Gatsby. Don Quixote is on my Amazon Wish List. I haven't read any of the others.

Frankenstein is certainly a most impressive and thoughtful book, which I find particularly interesting as an older novel exploring issues surrounding science. It is one of those stories that works so well as a cautionary fable as well as being moving, testing our reactions to both Victor and his creation.

I have long been an admirer of The Great Gatsby, which is beautifully written and thick with interwoven meanings. Poignant and tragic, it is one of those novels that lives on with you for a long time.

I have long meant to read Moby Dick, which often vies with Gatsby for the critics' title of greatest American novel, but have not yet managed it. Similarly, Don Quixote is on that list, but I've only listened to the Radio 4 adaptation. You'll have to post your thoughts when you've finished it, CJ.

Haven't read the others.

It's been a fairly quiet day on the site today; sometimes you have to be a little patient before the responses come in, but if you post it, they will come.

;)

Im not a compete cultural loser, I have read 'Frankensten' and think this is one of the greatest novels of all time, and I studied English and American lit at Uni finding a special fondness for Fitzgerald 'The Great Gatsby' and also Faulkner 'Light in August' very very good book.

I studied Frankenstein in 2004 as part of my OU degree - it really opened the book up to me as I had previously thought it was deadly dull. And I love William Faulkner, As I Lay Dying is my fave.

First of all CJS welcome to BGO. In answer to your post, I'm very dubious about lists of best books so why don't you follow your interests - much more fun. Can't see why any reader of any kind of book should call themselves a 'cultural loser'! I haven't read any Herbert but believe he is rather scary so you could try The Brothers Karamazov, The Trial, Brave New World, 1984 if you haven't already read them. If I were to recommend my favourites from the list from when I was your age they would be Catch 22, Catcher in the Rye, Lucky Jim, and To Kill a Mocking Bird so that certainly dates me!

Thanks people,

If you want to dip your toe in the water with Ellis, CJ, I'd say his debut "Less Than Zero" is probably the best place to start. Its an easy read and introduces a lot of his themes around the amorality of the modern world in an accessible way.

Good to see another Elmore Leonard fan on the board. I particularly rate "Out of Sight" and "Get Shorty", even better than the movie versions, both of which are pretty good in their own right.

I also studied American Lit and Uni. I found Faulkner hard going, but then we had "As I Lay Dying" on my syllabus. I'm not familiar with "Light in August", I must admit - what did you think of it.

I too had to read "Gatsby", which I know some people find rather a cold novel but I recall rather liking it (this was 15 years ago :eek: ). I also liked some of the short stories I read - try "The Diamond As Big As The Ritz". I rediscovered Fitzgerald last year having read "Tender is the Night". One day I will get around to reading the rest of his output.