Sign in to follow this  
Claire

Falling Angels

I hardly wanted to read this book. Girl with a Pearl Earring was so perfect, I thought this was bound to be a disappointment by comparison. But it was good.

I loved the portrayal of the pressures and quirks and unrest in our society just after the death of Queen Victoria - and the fact that most of the novel took place in a cemetary! The exploration of the different views of death and sex and women worked well, but in some ways I was more aware of all that, than the actual story itself.

I guess I was most moved by the character of Kitty Coleman and her frustrations and her strained relationships with her daughter, Maude. What did other people think of her? I didn't find her entirely likeable, but I did so want her to find the fulfillment she was looking for, somehow.

Loved this book - do read it, everyone! I also have a sudden urge to go and wander around Bradford's large victorian cemetary, to look at the angels!

Who else has read this? Do come and comment. Megustaleer, where are you :)

I loved this book and, for some reason, imagined it as set in Stoke Newington cemetary. Somehow it seemed to me to be a peculiarly London book so it was interesting to see that Claire could place it in Bradford.

I agree with you, BrumB - it does seem very much a London-based book. I hadn't imagined it was actually set in Bradford.

It's just that it would be a very long trip for me to visit a London cemetary, and Bradford is very close and has rather a big Victorian one and I'm curious about it all of a sudden!

How long ago did you read it? Which of the characters or events do you find has stayed in your head the longest?

I had read and enjoyed Girl With A Pearl Earring, but was a bit doubtful when it was suggested a few months later that we read Falling Angels for my RL bookgroup, I have so often been disappointed whe reading further books by an author I have enjoyed at the first 'meeting'.

As it turned out, I enjoyed this more than GWPE, right from that startling first chapter. Although Kitty is disappointed by the previous night's encounter, and seems to be resigned to a 20th century as dour as the 19th it is clear to the reader that she will not be able to stand her restricted life for much longer. We are already waiting for her to break out.

And I felt sorry for Richard, who was really at a loss to know what was wrong, and what he could do about it!

I agree with you, BrumB - it does seem very much a London-based book. I hadn't imagined it was actually set in Bradford.

It's just that it would be a very long trip for me to visit a London cemetary, and Bradford is very close and has rather a big Victorian one and I'm curious about it all of a sudden!

How long ago did you read it? Which of the characters or events do you find has stayed in your head the longest?

Don't worry Claire I realised you didn't think it had been set in Bradford but it was interesting that you saw most Victorian cemetaries as similar.

I read this when it first came out and before I had really heard of Tracy Chevalier. The details are now rather vague in my head. Oddly enough I think the relationship that stayed mainly with me was the one between the girls and the boy, Simon - the gravedigger's son (?). So the class division must have struck me more than the suffragette movement - a bit worrying! As literature, I loved the graveyard metaphors of the urn and the angel. What surprises me when you walk round Victorian cemetaries is how similar the monuments are compared say, with those in a country churchyard. In my experience you seldom get the same sense of the individual or the passing of time. But they are certainly grand places and tell their own story. Think I'll read this again! Thanks, Claire.

Don't worry Claire I realised you didn't think it had been set in Bradford but it was interesting that you saw most Victorian cemetaries as similar.

To be honest, I have no clue at all how similar they might be. If I make it there, I'll let you how it measures up ;)

I also have a sudden urge to go and wander around Bradford's large victorian cemetary,
Watch where you are walking, you wouldn't want to spend a cold winter's night at the bottom of an open grave!

Simon's chilly night was one of the things I remembered most clearly, and I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to you.

He must have been a strong little beggar to survive a night as cold as that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Viccie
      Tracy Chevalier is a writer of serious historical fiction, by which I don't mean that it's all doom, gloom and not a smile anywhere, but rather that she takes a theme, works it - without sexing it up or having her characters act in an incongrously modern manner and when it works the result is a slow burning, very well written, completely compulsive read.

This book is about the Goodenough family, the warring parents James and Sadie who are trying to make a life homesteading in the Black Swamp in Ohio in the 1830s and their youngest son Robert, trying to survive during the time of the Californian Gold Rush.  James is passionate about apples and the orchard he is trying to grow in unwelcoming ground (there is a lot about grafting trees and other tree lore but I didn't find it too much)  and Robert is the only one of his children to have inherited his skill with trees. 

It's difficult to say why this book worked so well, Sadie was such and tiresome and unpleasant charecter that the earlier sections could sometimes be difficut to read and Robert drifts from one thing to the next but the mmentum keeps on building and it ends up by being hard to put down.  I wouldn't say it's the best of her novels, for me that's Remarkable Creatures, but it's still very good.
    • By Momo
      Tracy Chevalier - The Virgin Blue - 1997
      I was just reminded of this book when reading Labyrinth because both novels are situated in France (well, partly) and both novels occur over different centuries.I loved this book - as I liked Girl with a Pearl Earring. If you are interested in reading about people in former time, especially, how women used to live, this is the book for you.
      Has anyone else read it?

(thread first started 03.08.06)
    • By Momo
      Rescued Thread:

Girl with a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier - 1999

12th December 2005, 04:31 PM
      Cathy
      Subscriber and Permanent Resident
      Thumbs up - Girl with a Pearl Earring

I can't find another thread about this book, though I can't believe no one else has read it!

Firstly, I don't think you have to know anything about the artist Vermeer to enjoy the book, I saw the film first which helped with the background, but as a book in itself its a good read and really evokes the look and feel of the paintings and the city of Delft and the uncomfortable feel of the artist's house. Most of all, the book paints a picture of the cold, uncomfortable work of a maid and a charged atmosphere between her and Vermeer. I found myself looking back at the cover a lot to see if I could see what the book was describing, especially during the painting of the picture itself.

I must also recommend the film, although it alters the plot a little (and I prefer the book i that respect) it perfectly captures the feel of the book and again of the style of Vermeer's paintings with the use of light and colour etc. After seeing the film I actually spotted a Vermeer just by how it looked, before looking at the art gallery spiel, so it must be pretty good.

---------------------------------------------
      12th December 2005, 05:23 PM
      elfstar

I loved this book. And I enjoyed the film. I knew some Vermeers ,of course, but this made me re-evaluate and appreciate them SO much more.

12th December 2005, 06:32 PM
      Claire
      Founder Member

I loved this book too. I didn't know much at all about Vemeer and his paintings before I started it.

It was wonderful, really, really wonderful. I'd love to reread it, but I almost daren't - just in case it doesn't live up to my memory of it and I'm disappointed My impression was that the style of writing was beautifully simple as well.

12th December 2005, 07:10 PM
      David

Excellent book. Keep meaning to read another Chevalier, but never get round to it.

The simple style and careful detail about Griet's life in Delft was compelling, but what I ultimately enjoyed most was the atmosphere between Griet and Vermeer. This was constructed and developed by such slow and careful degrees that it felt utterly credible. The most fascinating part about it, though, was how the sense of attraction to Griet and obsession with getting the painting right intertwined alomst inextricably. You couldn't tell where one ended and the other began. The resolution therefore held my interest and felt entirely appropriate and a telling insight into the process of an artist's emotional investment in his work. The changing symbolic uses of the earring were also deftly handled.

Interestingly, I believe that is the only one of Vermeer's paintings not to have any background details, focusing remorselessly on the subject, to the exclusion of all else. It seemed an inspired choice by Chevalier, therefore, as the painting whose genesis she would imagine.

I also enjoyed the film, which was beautifully shot and performed a fair job of interpreting the book, but I don't think it adequately captured the intensity of that atmosphere between them. Without Griet's narrative I think that was probably impossible.

13th December 2005, 09:07 PM
      Hilary

I loved this book too, it was bought for me by my sister Claire who I see on this thread too. Funnily enough, I am gripped by the same fear of rereading it in case I am disappointed that it isn't as enchanting second time around. I knew a little of the artist before reading but not a lot, though I did read up a bit in art books as I went along. I also daren't see the film in case it is a disappointment ~ I'm not a film person so they almost always are. (latest P + P being a good example)

14th December 2005, 09:11 AM
      Claire
      Founder Member

Hi Hilary - you weren't the only person I bought it for that Christmas! I was pretty restrained not buying it for every single person I knew!

For those nervous of being disappointed by reading other novels by Tracy Chevalier, can I recommend Falling Angels . I expected to be disappointed, and started it with some trepidation, but it was equally enchanting, though in a different period and a slightly different style. Well worth the risk, I reckon.