1971, Never A Dull Moment. Rock's Golden Year

Viccie

This is music journalist David Hepworth's paean to what he considers is the greatest year of rock. He is hugely knowledgeable about the music of his youth (he was 21) but even if nostalgia has influenced his belief that 1971 produced more records  that have really stood the test of time than any other year it's hard to dispute that there was some great music. His monthly playlists had me constantly firing up Spotify and my library has increased considerably.

It's a very enjoyable read, full of interesting little facts and written with a refreshingly dry cynicism but he's never spiteful. It's probably of most interest to those who are familiar with at least some of the tracks either through being there at the time or discovering Pink Floyd, the Who, Carole King, Sly and the Family Stone, Roxy Music etc much later on.

1971, I was eleven and probably still more influenced by the chart bands of the day but there was an awakening (if that doesn't sound too pretentious- probably fits with those mind stretching times), a realisation that music could be more than just background. Which unfortunately to my old soul a lot of new music today seems to be. This sounds like a book I would definitely enjoy. Thanks for reviewing Viccie.