Sign in to follow this  
BrumB

What do you do on Christmas morning?

Each year a member of my family takes it in turn to host Christmas -sometimes in their house, sometimes in a holiday let. Although this involves some variation, the actual morning is spent in much the same way wherever we are. As the next generation comes along and the size of the gathering increases I wonder if a change might be in order! Is chaos an inevitable part of Christmas or am I just getting older! :confused:

Christmas involves families.

Families involve chaos.

Ergo, yes, chaos is an inevitable part of Christmas.

(Usually pleasant chaos, though!)

:)

Thanks, David. I suppose I should know this by now. It's just that all those Sunday magazines with people dressed in silk and velvet serving dainty canapes and champagne confuse me.

Christmas morning I get in the car and bomb up the M4 to my parents who near London, to join whichever other members of the family are coming for Christmas dinner.

I remember it being chaotic as a child, but nowadays it isn't at all, since none of my generation - me, my brother, our cousins - have children.

Definitely no canapes, silk or velvet though. Will be roast beef and yorkshire pud for Christmas lunch this year and I expect I'll be wearing jeans and t-shirt.

Being a nice ( :confused: ) Jewish boy, I am not expected to put in family time to swap gifts etc. over the festive season, although I often slope over to the folks for lack of something better to do - if you're going to be bored stupid, you might as well do it in company, IMHO.

Work usually gives me enough stress mid-December, since people seem to do their food shopping on the basis that war is imminent and they need to stock up NOW, so I am glad not to have all the attendant hassles of the day itself as come Xmas Eve I'm usually knackered.

Bah humbug!

Mmm, Christmas morning! Excited already! I've always, always been at home for Christmas, and elderly relatives sort of do a satellite orbit and spend Christmas with us on a rotation basis with other bits of the family...Apart from general feasting and drinking, Christmas is the only time we get to speak to relatives in Australia, and by the time they phone us, they've had their feasting and drinking and are a little worse for wear! I love Christmas, however, we never have Turkey, I rarely go to church or a carol service, and have never watched the Queen's speech. And its great.

First thing in the morning, get up, make a big mug of Whittard's Christmas tea and leave it to stand for about an hour until the whole house smells of cloves, oranges and cinnamon. Put some carols on the CD. Ring my family if at home, ring his family if away. Open a couple of private prezzies between the two of us and then sit back and wait to be invaded. Since we got out own house a few years ago we've been taking it in turns to do Christmas Dinner - I'd do it every year if I had a choice in the matter - I love all the preparation- pigs in blankets, crossing sprouts, having everyone round to stir the Christmas Pud and make a wish, making mince pies with friends, bouncing around the house to Slade, dressing the dog up in a 'Bah Humbug' hat and seeing how long it takes for her to paw it off (2 tenths of a second and an 'aww muuuuum' expression), decorating the tree (takes most of a weekend to get it just right), wrapping prezzies, hiding edible treats on the tree for the nephews to find, polishing the cutlery, setting the table (don't forget the ivy leaves!) ..... should I stop? Christmas is without doubt my favourite time of the year.... only 33 days to go! Deck the halls with boughs of holly tra la la la-laa, la la la laaaaaaaaa! :)

6.00. Wake up and go get our stockings

6.05. Go and jump up and down on parents bed

6.30. Say 'OK WHAT NEXT'

12.00. Have Christmas lunch (and try to avoid the fact that the Turkey may contain Bird Flu)

1.30. Open presents from underneath the Christmas Tree

10.00 - 10.30. Go to bed

Sorry this is nospacesallowed

(and try to avoid the fact that the Turkey may contain Bird Flu)

We are going to get a turkey from the local farmers market this year - so hopefully there will be no bird flu in ours!!!!

Christmas morning itself has always involved people moaning at me to get up, and me saying "just 5 more minutes" until about 10.30 (at the earliest)!!!!

More and more in the last few years I have found it really hard to get excited about Christmas. I'm not religeous. I feel very strongly that Christmas is about families and loved ones, and when my parents divorced it really changed a lot of things for me! It does make it very hard when deciding who to go and visit (home is not the same when something like divorce happens)!

Last year we went to the out-laws, which was nice but I felt quite peripheral.

This year we are staying home, just the two of us - no invasions, no panics and no crises!!!! There will probably be lots of whinging though when I won't get out of bed to unwrap the presents!!!!!

I've just read that back and it seems really downbeat and depressing - sorry - just ignore me and my Scrooge attitude!

6.30. Say 'OK WHAT NEXT'

12.00. Have Christmas lunch (and try to avoid the fact that the Turkey may contain Bird Flu)

10.00 - 10.30. Go to bed

That is so so so so so confusing! Is it so hard to log in?!

Christmas is without doubt my favourite time of the year.... only 33 days to go! Deck the halls with boughs of holly tra la la la-laa, la la la laaaaaaaaa! :)

I'm with you, lucyb! I LOVE the whole season of decorations, traditions and rituals. Of course, with all my family, most of my friends, and even my dog on the other side of the ocean, I have had to start up new traditions over here with my partner and the cats, but it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm one iota! Although, I do miss Thanksgiving! Pumpkin pies, turkey, the whole family pigging out and great football! And it really starts the festive season off over there.

I've already started into my viewing the seasonal DVDs (of which I have many) ritual. Can't wait to start on all the decorations and lights and gift wrapping and the tree!

6.30. Say 'OK WHAT NEXT'

10.00 - 10.30. Go to bed

LOG OUT!!!!!!! Stop using my account.

Having two grown-up daughters and now two young sons, my Christmas morning routine seems to have been the same for most of my life (with just a few years in between where I could take it easy!).

5.30 Get woken up by excited children ("He's been!")

6.00 Get up

6.05 Feed bewidered cats

6.10 Feed delighted dog

6.15 Put kettle on

6.16 Continue attempts to keep children out of front room

6.17 Give breakfast to totally dis-interested children

6.20 Put kettle on again and make tea

6.22 Allow children into front room

6.22.30 Begin pressie opening, with wife attempting to keep list of what came from whom, so that "thank-you" phone calls or letters can be worded appropriately.

7.30 Tidy up

8.00 Take dog for walk

9.00 Home, and breakfast - usually scrambled egg and smoked salmon

9.30 - 12.00 Play with my toys, with phone calls to family members in between, and possibly a glass of sherry when in-laws arrive (probably the only glass of sherry I will have all year!)

12.30 Pre-dinner beer

I'm totally with Flingo on the divorce topic. I took me several years to start enjoying Christmas after my first wife and I separated. My Christmas morning phone call to (or from) my daughters are one of my favourite bits of the day.

I'm not a Christmassy person to be honest... I think it should be about spending time with your family but like Flingo I have the whole divorced parents thing to deal with. :( Luckily for me I don't have much of a choice - I want to be where my boyfriend is (less than 10 miles from my mums house) so it's always there! I do get to talk to my dad for ages on Christmas day though which is always something to look forward to! I'm sure your grown-up daugthers look forward to that kind of thing as much as I (& you) do MFJ! :)

As for my Christmas day...

I get woken by my little sister (little being 18!) who runs into my room with my stocking. I usually tell her to go away and come back after 6am. By the time she's dragged me out of bed, I've got dressed and eaten breakfast it's time for presents. That's over by 9. At which point I usually curl up with one of my many new books to read til lunch. After a lovely Christmas dinner I trek out to my boyfriends house where I spend most of the afternoon/evening with him and his family. Then I get to go home, fall asleep and try to sleep through boxing day so I don't have to go and suffer my gran's awful cooking and snide comments about my vegetarianism.

This year I'll be back up at uni on the 27th, so I get the rest of the holiday with just my boyfriend! I'm really looking forward to the day in the (probably very distant) future when I can decide I'm not going home and can spend all day with him having a very romantic and mostly sleeping Christmas! :D