Sign in to follow this  
Hazel

Bookmarks

Despite all my book abuse, I've never had one fall apart. How long does it take for it to happen?!

About twenty five years if you're careful!

Well, I'm a School Librarian, and I'm sure the kids would say that I'm obsessive about good book maintenance. However... with my own books I'm very different. 'Birds without Wings' went to Turkey with me at half term and I don't think any book has ever been so 'personalised'. Sorry guys but it's dog-eared, bent from being squashed in my bag, written in, spilt on, and the pages are all wobbly from being in the bathroom. Like an old teddy, it looks loved!

And just to send a few more of you into an apoplexy - today I was reading James Frey with my lunch, bit into a cherry tomato, and well, you can guess the rest!

And just to send a few more of you into an apoplexy - today I was reading James Frey with my lunch, bit into a cherry tomato, and well, you can guess the rest!

Aaarrggghhh! ANY other book I might have been able to handle the stress, but the best book of the year!!!!!! I am going into meltdown....

I am definitely in the "anything that comes to hand" group. Train tickets were favourite, but I now have a season ticket which I can't risk losing, so usually use a scrap of paper or a receipt. I nearly always lose "proper" bookmarks by forgetting to take them out when I finish a book, so any bookmark rarely lasts more than one book, I'm afraid!

I buy bookmarks with good intentions, but always end up losing them, or breaking them so that they end up looking worse than the book! I don't fold corners over (and have told flatmate off for doing this) but I will leave a book open to mark a place. I try to be careful, especially if borrowing a book from someone else (Flingo, I'm especially careful with yours :)) or if they're signed or a proof that I want to keep, but on the whole my books are bit battered. Isn't that what paperbacks are supposed to look like?

My favourite things to use are post-it notes - they won't mark the book, they stay in and if you lose it you just pull another off the pad. Perhaps they should market bookmark post-its...

Perhaps they should market bookmark post-its...
They do, I've got some, but I can't remember where got them. They are useful for semi-permanently marking passages you want to refer back to...I just never have them to hand when I want them!

Slight diversion from Bookmarks, but I like books to look read. Part of reading for me is when and where I read a book and who else has read it. I am struggling at the moment to throw away a two volume copy of War and Peace which has travelled all over the world and was last read by my son on a Greek beach. The cover is falling off and it smells vaguely of Ambre Solaire. I have already bought the Wordsworth edition replacement but somehow the old, used copy keeps finding its way back on the shelf. I am interested to know why you would want a copy you have read to be in pristine condition?

I don't know why I like to keep them nice - I suppose I see so many at work that are damaged beyond repair (a key memory involves one that had been dropped in a puddle and then returned to us about a week later - smelly, mouldy and still wet), generally the main problem is that pages come loose when the spine is broken. I like to keep the books I enjoy the most, and I guess I worry that if I cause a page or section of pages to fall out I might not be able to replace it!

I don't know why I like to keep them nice - I suppose I see so many at work that are damaged beyond repair (a key memory involves one that had been dropped in a puddle and then returned to us about a week later - smelly, mouldy and still wet), generally the main problem is that pages come loose when the spine is broken. I like to keep the books I enjoy the most, and I guess I worry that if I cause a page or section of pages to fall out I might not be able to replace it!

Thanks, Flingo - that makes sense but I think there is a difference between a book which has been misused and one which is well read. I'm certainly more careful with books that would be difficult to replace and no longer lend them to other people - have lost too many that way. I think the availability of cheap books via the internet has somewhat changed my way of thinking. Not sure if it is a good thing or not.

I'm in BrumB's camp on this one.

I don't tend to keep books for long; I read it then it usually goes to the charity shop. Equally, many of my books come from said establishments, so they rarely come into my possession in immaculate condition in the first place.

Its a bit sad of me, but I still think there's something kind of cool and bohemian about a battered, well-thumbed, paperback copy of a classic or a cult novel, provided none of the pages have been bent as bookmarks :D .

I'm in BrumB's camp on this one.

I don't tend to keep books for long; I read it then it usually goes to the charity shop. Equally, many of my books come from said establishments, so they rarely come into my possession in immaculate condition in the first place.

Its a bit sad of me, but I still think there's something kind of cool and bohemian about a battered, well-thumbed, paperback copy of a classic or a cult novel, provided none of the pages have been bent as bookmarks :D .

I feel just the same and as a member of Bookcrossing, I now pass on even more books. This is partly due to lack of space. However, I regret it some ways because I have some interesting books inherited from my parents and relatives which are very much of their time and are really entertaining. By keeping 'worthy' books I wonder if my children and grandchildren will get as much pleasure from what I have.

Found some additional postings, until #44

Momo 10th January 2006, 10:38 PM

Nice thread.

I like to keep my books nice but that doesn't mean they cannot look "read". No paperback will look the same after you have read it - especially if you are like me and carry them everywhere so you can use any spare minute to read them and never get bored or pick up some of those awful magazines that you see everywhere (well, that's another subject).

As to the bookmarks, I usually keep a few little post-it notes in the back and mark a page if I think it's worthy to mark. I never, never write in a book!

But my "main" bookmark is a freebie I received from my old library in the UK, it just reminds me of a happy time. However, I keep buying "nice" ones and always intend to use them but they end up together in one drawer (yes, the bottom one) and I sometimes look at them thinking "I should definitely start using one of them ..."

----------------------------------------------------------------

angel 12th January 2006, 12:48 AM

I have some lovely bookmarks that I do use – the sort where you each get a piece of coloured card and write your name at the top then pass the bookmark round a group of friends. Using fine tip coloured pens, on both sides, each person writes something positive about the owner of the bookmark. This is then laminated.

I have one we did as a family years ago, one done with a group of friends and several done with groups at school (we didn’t sign those, which helps teenagers feel less inhibited about being complimentary). Many have added little drawings too.

The warm and witty comments give a lovely little boost to my self-esteem on grey days. Some of the Year 10s at school told me that they don’t use theirs in books because they don’t want to lose them – they keep them safe …. to read.

Also whenever I buy a book (oops I’m supposed to buy here) I ask the assistants if I can take several of the free bookmarks for school. They usually give me far more than I would dare take. Pupils like to choose one when they take a library book and surprisingly they re-use them.

I liked Mungus‘s idea of using greetings card and I think I might use those in the library too. Thanks

Cathy 12th January 2006, 11:54 AM

All the comments about book abuse like folding over pages has changed my habits - I've stopped! But I haven't got a bookmark yet so I just have to try to remember where I'm up to

Momo 12th January 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by angel

I have some lovely bookmarks that I do use – the sort where you each get a piece of coloured card and write your name at the top then pass the bookmark round a group of friends. Using fine tip coloured pens, on both sides, each person writes something positive about the owner of the bookmark. This is then laminated.

Oooh, that is such a lovely idea. That would be such a nice gift idea, as well. Maybe we should all write something nice about Cathy, she can then print and laminate it and finally has a bookmark.

Cathy 12th January 2006, 04:35 PM

I found a postcard inside a book bought from a charity shop of 'Nostalgic Sheffield', and am trying it out! Its a bit odd though, as I've only been to Sheffield once and am certainly not nostalgic about it!

Claire 12th January 2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by angel

I have one we did as a family years ago, one done with a group of friends and several done with groups at school (we didn’t sign those, which helps teenagers feel less inhibited about being complimentary). Many have added little drawings too.

The warm and witty comments give a lovely little boost to my self-esteem on grey days. Some of the Year 10s at school told me that they don’t use theirs in books because they don’t want to lose them – they keep them safe …. to read.

What a fantastic idea - I look forward to plagiarising it soon!! I've done something a bit similar with a church youth group a couple of times, once as a "youth" and once as a leader, but we just did it on sheets of paper. I love the idea of making it a bookmark and laminating it, to give it a use and make it much more lasting and keepable. Excellent!

Thumbsucker 12th January 2006, 08:42 PM

I've got some lovely magnetic bookmarks from Ebay shipped from Hong Kong. There are six in the pack and they each have a calender month for 2006 on either side.

GeneralKelly 12th January 2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by BrumB

Slight diversion from Bookmarks, but I like books to look read. Part of reading for me is when and where I read a book and who else has read it. I am struggling at the moment to throw away a two volume copy of War and Peace which has travelled all over the world and was last read by my son on a Greek beach. The cover is falling off and it smells vaguely of Ambre Solaire. I have already bought the Wordsworth edition replacement but somehow the old, used copy keeps finding its way back on the shelf. I am interested to know why you would want a copy you have read to be in pristine condition?

Couldn't agree more, I think it's great to see a book that has clearly lived as interesting a life as it's contents have!

On the subject of bookmarks, I like to use family photographs instead of bookmarks. Failing that I'm afraid I'm firmly in the 'whatever comes to hand' camp!

Lei-Lei Jayenne

13th January 2006, 04:05 PM

I'm a page bender not a bookmark person i'm afraid. It's already been said, but i like a book to look lived in, though of course a bookmark/receipt/paper-clipping is only polite when reading a book borrowed from someone else.

Mostly I read in bed, and there is a ledge next to the bed that is just the width of a paperback book, and my current read is sitting on there, the (larger) unread portion face down on the ledge, and the thinner section hanging down at an angle of 90degrees to it.
I'm struggling to think where on earth I was sleeping in November 2005. I do occasionally change bedrooms, or move the furniture around, but I cannot picture the 'ledge next to the bed' referred to, in any room in the house. :confused::confused:

Don't worry, you'll go to bed tonight and all of a sudden you will have the picture in your mind.

I use bookmarks. I have one of a golden retriever that I've had for years and a boomerang-shaped one that my brother brought me home from Australia last year. I have a metal one with a fish on top too but that one's really too heavy to use.

For Christmas my sister gave me a porcelain tankard that has 'the noble and most ancient house of Black' written in black script on it and all my bookmarks and book light go in there when not in use.

I have collected bookmarks for some time, friends and relatives bring them back for me when they go away.

However I don`t use them, I like to keep them pristine.

I mostly use the free bookmarks from the library, however I have at times used what ever came to hand i.e. receipts, envelopes etc.

I hate the thought of turning the corner of the page down.

I am addicted to buying bookmarks. I also especially cannot go into Borders without buying the latest Paperchase ones. I must have over 200 - what a waste of money - but I do use them.

This thread prompted me to count mine. I counted 40 and felt embarrassed that I had so many, until I read your posting Hazel :hmm: seems I have a long way to go yet and can now feel less guilty the next time I buy or acquire one.

Most of my bookmarks are from bookshops and BBC (for their different book programmes) but I have some from the local library and from my Uni a few years back. I also have three made of leather, one fabric one shaped like a bookworm, a laminated one I bought at The Globe Theatre, one given to me by a friend who is a nun with a poem on it she wrote, two crocheted (I keep in my bibles) and one from James Thin in Edinburgh (from when I used to live in Linthithgow and spent every hour I could at Thins on South Bridge.

My beloved also gave me a silver bookmark a few Christmas' ago with a figure of a fairy on the top. Sadly, it is too top heavy and can damage the pages, so it just sits on my desk looking pretty.

I love bookmarks :)

I like to choose one appropriate to the book I am reading - well, that's what I tell hubby when he moans about the amount I have. I have leather, laminated, and card ones. No metal as it ruins the pages. I also hate the ones that clip over the top of the page, or that are magnetized to sit over the page. They ruin the pages as well. I always buy one when we visit a place. It's so nice to have a lovely bookmark.

It's so nice to have a lovely bookmark.

Ohhh, I so agree. I can see it on my headstone now! Ooops, I think I should have put that on the 'Morbid or not' thread :ssh:

I use booktowels from BookChair.com. I like to hold/fondle them while I read. I have, in the past used receipts, bus tickets and (my favourite) postcards as bookmarks. But since I discovered booktowels I have stuck with them.

I am not afraid to place abook down open to a page but I do notbreak spines delioberately, in fact I pride myself on being able to read a book without breaking the spine.

I lose bookmarks. I have no idea where they go - I'll have a lovely one, and keep it for two or three books, then it just disappears before I start the next book.

Usually, I use train tickets, boarding pass stubs (good to find years later, as it reminds me of holidays!), receipts etc.

We had family headlice problems on and off for a while last term, and were very frustrated when our one decent nit-comb went missing. (We've accumulated several, but most are very scratchy and hurt your scalp)

It was only when I was sorting out a pile of overdue library books, that I found the nit-comb neatly inserted in one of them as a book mark!

and here's me thinking that "bookmarks" were what Firefox called "favourites" :o
You're obviously in the wrong group here. ;)