From Goodreads: 

Messenger is the third novel in the Giver Quartet, which began with the dystopian bestseller The Giver.

Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man known for his special sight. Village once welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must risk everything to make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

This is YA novel.  I thoroughly enjoyed this, it's only 100 or so pages long and very easy to read. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2021 at 20:30, lunababymoonchild said:

I have. Mine is an omnibus edition that contains all 4 stories.  Just one to go!

Thanks Luna, I'll add that to the list. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By lunababymoonchild
      From Amazon : 

The fascinating sequel to THE GIVER which inspired the dystopian genre.

GATHERING BLUE is a return to the mysterious but plausible future world of The Giver. It tells the story of Kira, orphaned, physically flawed, and left with an uncertain future until she is summoned by the Council of Guardians…

On her quest for truth that follows, Kira makes discoveries that will change her life and world forever.

Award-winning author Lois Lowry challenges readers to imagine what our world could become, how people could evolve and what could be considered valuable.  Much as we are being challenged with it now, tbh

Well written and well worth a read.
    • By Flingo
      Lois Lowry was another author that I adored as a child with her series about Anastasia Krupnik. I hadn't realised that she was also a winner of the Newbury Medal (the American equivalent of the Carnegie Medal - judged by Librarians) in 1994 for this book, The Giver. It's completely different to her other books, and I honestly couldn't tell you if I'd read it when I was still at school.

This is science fiction for younger readers, so some of the themes aren't as developed as they might be in a full blown adult sci-fi. This may be a deal breaker for some adult readers, but it really shouldn't affect it's intended audience (compare to Stephenie Meyer or J K Rowling!) or those willing to suspend a bit of belief.

I can see why it earned it's Newbury medal - it's well written but easy to read, it's certainly delivers on developing the reader and giving a lasting experience from the book.

It's also been done many times since in YA fiction - clearly the greatest form of flattery!