Ralph Fiennes in The Four Quartets

Heather

I have just booked a ticket to see Ralph Fiennes reciting 'The Four Quartets' at the Mayflower Studios in Southampton. I wish I had someone to go with me! It's been touring - has anyone else seen it? I will post a review when I have.

Wow, that was quite an evening. It was just Ralph Fiennes on a stage with two chairs, two blank rotating blocks by way of scenery, a few sounds and quite a lot of lighting. He recited all four poems in a natural way which seemed to be exactly how they were meant to be said. Somehow it brought the pictures in the poems vividly in front of me - the rose garden, the people in the tube train stopped between stations, the buoy moving on the sea swell, the two people meeting on the night of an air raid. It was so much more vivid than just reading the poems. Sometimes he made us laugh: 'That was a way of putting it - not very satisfactory'. Sometimes I was nearly in tears.

I wish I could go back and hear it again!