Does anyone watch this BBC book review programme? I really like the format just wish there was a longer, unabridged version. Just feel the guests have more to say on the books and they're being edited too much. But always end up with at least one book to add to the TBR.

I posted this on the other forum...

"I wasn't very impressed with the first series as it's the same carousal of panel show comedians (who clearly don't read much) discussing their favourite books. I'd much rather they had guests with a bit more weight to them. Plus, the contemporary books they choose are standard detective novels and mainstream fluff. 

The only one from series one that caught my eye was 'Hangover Square.'

Anyway, there's a series two coming... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1zRxrpdZTYNlKPdVpzZyyMs/twelve-brilliant-books-to-set-you-up-for-a-summer-of-reading"

I watched a couple of episodes of the first series, but the time wasn't really convenient for me.

I did find them a bit lightweight, but welcomed the series as  I do almost any means of plugging books and reading.

It took years for me to move on from  "standard detective novels and mainstream fluff", and I'm pretty sure that if I ever found a way to be physically comfortable reading a book that is where I would start.

I agree with Tay that the guests often seemed to have more to say, but do not have enough time to go very deeply into their experience of a book. 

On 20/05/2021 at 20:55, hux said:

"I wasn't very impressed with the first series as it's the same carousal of panel show comedians (who clearly don't read much) discussing their favourite books. I'd much rather they had guests with a bit more weight to them. Plus, the contemporary books they choose are standard detective novels and mainstream fluff. 

Of course there are comedians as guests they help draw people in but there have been newsreaders and writers. And why dismissive of comedians? Lots of comedians are university educated, Bill Bailley has an English degree, Ade Edmondson studied drama, Sara Pascoe studied Philosophy at Cambridge.  It's not aimed at Booker Prize novels, I doubt there would be much of an audience for that. I disagree that the guests were people who didn't read much, they all talk about their reading tastes etc. I except it's a lightweight programme but it is only on for 30 minutes so not much time to expand on that. Perhaps if it is successful it may lead to more programmes on books on TV. 

50 minutes ago, Tay said:

Of course there are comedians as guests they help draw people in but there have been newsreaders and writers. And why dismissive of comedians? Lots of comedians are university educated, Bill Bailley has an English degree, Ade Edmondson studied drama, Sara Pascoe studied Philosophy at Cambridge.  It's not aimed at Booker Prize novels, I doubt there would be much of an audience for that. I disagree that the guests were people who didn't read much, they all talk about their reading tastes etc. I except it's a lightweight programme but it is only on for 30 minutes so not much time to expand on that. Perhaps if it is successful it may lead to more programmes on books on TV. 

LOL, I don't doubt that they're university educated. That's part of the problem. I'd much rather see members of the public (certainly non-BBC carousal types) or actual writers speaking about books that are more obscure. Plus, most of the books they'll be promoting on the show are the very same books that probably need the least promotion. Shows like this don't lead to more (or better) shows, they usually just lead to more of the same (the great British book-off can't be that far away). There's a handful of exceptions to this and I noticed Rick Stein chose 'The Leopard' which is a book I love. But they discussed it for about 30 seconds them moved on (and he kinda spoiled it by suggesting you watch the film first??).

I'll keep an eye on it but it feels like an extended version of Mock the Week or something. But each to their own. My main gripe is the type of books they generally discuss. Do you follow any YouTube book reviewers? There's a couple I like including 'Better Than Food' which is what I'd much rather see on TV.

Meanwhile, this is what we used to get. A mainstream chat show where Gore Vidal and Normal Mailer express their hatred for each other. Today, a programme like this would be tucked away at 2am on Sky Arts. 

Edited by hux

Obscure doesn't sell Hux, surely you know that. Not in enough quantities to make mainstream broadcasters feature it in review shows. Film review shows spend all the time talking about the next big blockbuster and the last minute talking about the foreign language movie. 

As for your clip, like two preening spoilt peacocks parading their self love. But as you say, to each their own. 

1 hour ago, Tay said:

Obscure doesn't sell Hux, surely you know that.

I'm not asking for a prime time show. Stick it on channel 4 at midnight on a Wednesday and make sure the guests all have five pints before they go on.

Edited by hux

I am finding it an interesting show

On the most recent one, David baddie made a good point about how in chapter 41 in Emma, it changes perspective and how this hasn't been done in books before it. That is something I mean to bring up with my brother, who is a big Jane austen reader. 

Edited by iff