Yet another addition to all the books about Jane Austen but one well worth reading. It's a bright breezy take, Lucy Worsley writes like she presents, talking directly to the viewer with a beguiling mixture of hard fact and more ephermeral snippets.

The theme of the book is how much Jane Austen's sense of home and how important it was to her is reflected in her writings and she comes across as a far stronger charecter than the somewhat frustrated spinster she is often portrayed as. 

Ii isn't quite as rivetting as Paula Byrne's The Real Jane Austen: a Life in Small Things but it's inspired me to reread Mansfield Park and maybe even tackle Emma again one day and it's thoroughly enjoyable and informative. Reccommended for Janeites and for those with a less ardent interest!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, I made a note of both as possible present ideas for the austenite in my life :)

14 hours ago, iff said:

Interesting, I made a note of both as possible present ideas for the austenite in my life :)

John Mullan's What Matters in Jane Austen is also very good indeed. Yes, I'm a bit of a Janeite!