The first in a series of 7 crime books, so far, starring Inspector Ian Frey and Detective 'Nine-Nails' McGray.  Set in Edinburgh in 1888 Frey is sent from Scotland Yard in London to help McGray, in his new but fake department investigating the occult, investigate the murder of a viruoso violinist who was murdered in his own home in a locked room with no other way in or out.

This was better than I expected and I learned a lot about violins and catgut - wait to you read about that! I also enjoy the 1800's and being set in Edinburgh made a change from Victorian London.  McGray seems to believe in the occult but his backstory emerges through the book and all becomes clear in the end. 

The characters are well drawn the plot is a pot-boiler and the prose is very well written. 

It was a page turner and it has stayed with me for quite a while. 

Recommended.

I read this probably due to the same recommendation as you, Luna!

It was distinctly different to the usual book like this which was refreshing. I enjoyed it  though I felt Frey and McGray were a bit two dimensional.

• 5 months later...
On 13/05/2021 at 14:02, lunababymoonchild said:

The first in a series of 7 crime books, so far, starring Inspector Ian Frey and Detective 'Nine-Nails' McGray.  Set in Edinburgh in 1888 Frey is sent from Scotland Yard in London to help McGray, in his new but fake department investigating the occult, investigate the murder of a viruoso violinist who was murdered in his own home in a locked room with no other way in or out.

This was better than I expected and I learned a lot about violins and catgut - wait to you read about that! I also enjoy the 1800's and being set in Edinburgh made a change from Victorian London.  McGray seems to believe in the occult but his backstory emerges through the book and all becomes clear in the end. 

The characters are well drawn the plot is a pot-boiler and the prose is very well written. 

It was a page turner and it has stayed with me for quite a while. 

Recommended.

Almost finished this and oh yes the catgut, I think I know more about that than I ever wanted to......😝 Having said that the book isn't too gruesome (I've read far worse) and it is well-written.  Enjoying it so far and it will be interesting to see how the chalk and cheese relationship (I love some of McGray's insults) progresses.