Outstanding Audio Books

Viccie

I've Really got in to listening to audio books in the last couple of years, usually listening  when I'm driving or using them to ease the boredom of housework. I don't count it as "reading", it's so very different to seeing words on a page and there are books I thoroughly enjoy listening to which would exasperate me in print, Timothy West reading Trollope being one series.

There's also huge pleasure in listening to books you already know and love, providing they're well read of course.

Anyone got some suggestions for building up the audio library? So far this year I've listened to a couple of crackers and am in the middle of a third:

La Belle Sauvage by Phillip Pullman, read by Michael Sheen.

The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern read by Jim Dale - exquisite and made me fall in love with the story all over again.

The Huntress by Kate Quinn, read by Sakia Marleveld which I'm half way though. This is one of those books I'd never read in print and I got it only because it was on special and had read how good the narrator is. Quite true, I suspect she's one of those who could make the telephone directory sound fascinating.

Hi Viccie

I read a lot of audio books, these are some of my favourites in last few months. 

A Higher Call by Adam Makos, Erebus by Michael Palin, detective books by Abir Mukherjee, When All Is Said by Anne Griffin, Barnaby Rudge by Dickens read by Jason Watkins - superb reading - the Oryx & Crake series by Margaret Atwood & A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. 

I agree La Belle Sauvage was excellent. 

I think I might get Erebus, I've heard how good it is from others too and I snap up anything read by Michael Palin when it comes up on a special.

I've read When All is Said and loved it.

11 hours ago, Viccie said:

I think I might get Erebus, I've heard how good it is from others too and I snap up anything read by Michael Palin when it comes up on a special.

I've read When All is Said and loved it.

Did you read When All is Said as an audio book? The reader was brilliant, perfect Irish voice for the book. 

On 14/05/2021 at 22:27, Tay said:

Did you read When All is Said as an audio book? The reader was brilliant, perfect Irish voice for the book. 

I read it on my Kobo but I'd like to listen to it as well.  I love hearing books I've loved being read, it adds an extra dimension.

I agree Viccie, I found in the past when I read Dickens I often struggled with the sheer volume of language being thrust upon the reader but when I listen to them being 'performed' in an audio book it brings the language to life. And I love the 'cheating time' aspect of audio books, being able to read whilst driving or doing things in the house, time when I wouldn't normally have been able to get any reading done but now ..... 

You are right, Timothy West is a very good narrator.

Paul Daneman reading Len Deighton's Harry Palmer books is worth a listen.  Michael Palin reading his own books. Robert Powell, Anna Friels, Steven Pacey and John McDonough.

And all of the Regency and VIctorian classics work really well.  As Tay said, the language is so rich it deserves to be "performed."

• 2 months later...