Pachinko got quite a lot of attention when it was first published in 2017.

It is a history of a Korean family living in Japan.  The book takes place from the 1900s until the late 20th centtury.

Until I read this book I hadn't realised that Koreans in Japan were not allowed to become citizens, were despised by their Japanses hosts - especially for their christian beliefs, often became involved in organised crime (e.g Pachino parlours - a type of pinball) and usually worked for lower wages than their Japanese counterparts.

And this novel was constgructed to explore those issues. And it manages to address those facts and be a good story at the same time.

This was my first long novel of the year (I'm trying to read books of 500+ pages for a change) and it was very enjoyable.

Binker had some comments here

Thanks for the heads up. I've got it on my Kobo (a cheapie) but I've never been sure if I  want to read it or not. I'm not sure if I said this on this or the other group but I don't really like reading long books on Kobo, not sure why. Maybe I need to hunt out a paper copy.

• 6 months later...
On 12/05/2021 at 13:11, tagesmann said:

Pachinko got quite a lot of attention when it was first published in 2017.

It is a history of a Korean family living in Japan.  The book takes place from the 1900s until the late 20th centtury.

Until I read this book I hadn't realised that Koreans in Japan were not allowed to become citizens, were despised by their Japanses hosts - especially for their christian beliefs, often became involved in organised crime (e.g Pachino parlours - a type of pinball) and usually worked for lower wages than their Japanese counterparts.

And this novel was constgructed to explore those issues. And it manages to address those facts and be a good story at the same time.

This was my first long novel of the year (I'm trying to read books of 500+ pages for a change) and it was very enjoyable.

Binker had some comments here

I continue to have those thoughts.  But it was a huge success in most book clubs, so I'm just grumpy, I guess.