Anyone in favour of a BGO rescue?

OK, I'm putting this out there...

It might be possible that I could take on the site and keep it running. I think for that to happen we would need to have more posts (book reviews expecially) and we would need to attract new members otherwise the site will just wither and die.

So, I guess if enough of you want to, we can keep the site going.

I definitely want to keep it going! I'm not very confident about reviewing, I don't think I do it well, but I'd make a real effort to do a lot more.

2 minutes ago, Viccie said:

I definitely want to keep it going! I'm not very confident about reviewing, I don't think I do it well, but I'd make a real effort to do a lot more.

I am rubbish at reviewing.  But I think that is because I am trying to write a "review" instead of saying what I liked or didn't like about a book.

I'd be happy if the site continued with more focus on books.

I don't think a review has to be anything formal. I just like to see that someone else has read the same thing as me and some thoughts on whether they liked it or not. I think it's a shame if anyone thinks they need to write an essay to post on a book.

I'm definitely on board. I'll aim to post about every book I read even if it's just, read this last week and it was shit.

If funds are needed I'm happy to contribute. Within reason of course. 

As previously stated on another thread I don't really know much about websites and how they are created, maintained or promoted. So I googled and found this 

2. Get reciprocal

The more links that external websites have to your site, and the more links you make to them, will be seen by search engines as a good reason to elevate your importance as a web location. 

Therefore if you have commercial relationships, you can strengthen those by exchanging links and building a flow of traffic between your mutual sites. This is especially useful if you are part of a bigger conglomerate, where the group site can link to all the subsidiaries without the need for permissions.

In an article on Tech Radar, here 20 easy ways to promote your website right now | TechRadar

So my thought is we already have the link to Amazon and we want to increase revenue and members and footfall to BGO. So would it be worth approaching all (or main ones) the booksellers on Amazon and ask if they'll put a link to us on their websites? They may want a link to their website on BGO which could get messy and actually seems redundant given we link to Amazon and people could find them on there. So that could be a problem. 

For the booksellers they would be potentially increasing their customers through our members and for us people who are searching for books not using Amazon might find out about us. 

I'm sure there must be other places we could contact to ask for links to be added on to their websites or posters displayed in shops. Bookshops, libraries, charity shops? I appreciate all this takes time and effort and not all of us (myself included have huge amounts of free time. But perhaps the company that runs the website could advise on the links idea and for the posters well if we came up with a design we all approved then if we all spent an hour or a morning going round local relevant shops we might get some posters up. 

Just some thoughts. 

I would love it if the site carried on. I will try to post book reviews. Do you know, I didn't realise that was the idea? I thought I was supposed to comment on other people's posts, but I'd never read the books they posted about so I never did. I promise to do better if you keep it on.

I've posted quite a few reviews in the last year.

Review posted on March 26 - Confessions of a Mask (Yukio Mishima) 7/10

Review posted on April 28 - The Leopard (Giuseppe Lampedusa) 9/10

Review posted on May 16 - The Gathering (Anne Enright)  5/10

Review posted on May 22 - Normal People (Sally Rooney) 5/10

Review posted on June 2 - Atomised (Michel Houellebecq) 9/10

Review posted on June 23 - The Book of Ebeneezer La Page (G. B Edwards) 8/10

Review posted on July 19 - Blood Meridian (Cormac McCarthy) 3/10

Review posted on July 25 - The Old Man & The Sea (Hemmingway) 5/10

Review posted on August 13 - The Peregrine ( A.J Baker) 8/10

Review posted on August 17 - The Story of the Eye (Georges Bataille) 8/10

Review posted on September 9 - Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas (Machado de Assis) 7/10

Review posted on October 5 - Journey to the end of the Night (Louis Ferdinand Celine) 10/10

Review posted on November 23 - For Whom the Bell Tolls (Hemmingway) 7/10

Review posted on January 10 - The Map and the Territory (Michel Houellebecq) 7/10

Review posted on March 3 - The Book of Disquiet (Pessoa) 9\10

Review posted on March 23 - A Confederacy of Dunces (John Kennedy Tool) 6/10

Review posted on April 1 - If on a Winters Night a Traveller (Italo Calvino) 7/10

Review posted on April 19 - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (Carson McCullers) 8/10

Review posted on April 27 - Norwegian Wood (Haruki Murakami) 8/10

A brief look at them would suggest very little interaction (even when other people have read the book).

People clearly don't enjoy being too verbose in response to reviews so maybe a like button would help increase interaction?

Edited by hux

I've always enjoyed your reviews hux.  And I've often disagreed with you ofr at lerast wanted to challenge you further.
I like the idea of a like button.
But I also realise that I need to actually get involved and ask you "why."

Posted (edited)

Right you lot.
I am definitely taking over BGO Admin.  That means we can keep the site going beyond June.
Don't expect to see anything change as it will take a while for Hazel and I to sort out the "paperwork." Especially as I am a slow learner.

Edited by tagesmann
idiot spelling

I know I have not been here often in the recent past, but I have been a member for so long I would really miss it not being here.  I do hope that it continues and will try and support it more often.

Great. Don't take on more than you need to though.

Running this place is obviously more complicated than it looks.

5 hours ago, tagesmann said:

Right you lot.
I am definately taking over BGO Admin.  That means we can keep the site going beyond June.
Don't expect to see anything change as it will take a while for Hazel and I to sort out the "paperwork." Especially as I am a slow learner.

I am pleased to that tag has decided to become the Admin and will support him with the transfer of all the accounts. 

• 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth I would like to see the site continue. I'm not shy about posting reviews on books but I tend to only post reviews on books which I've either adored or hated no middle of the of the road this book was ok 'Meh' type reviews as I don't think they worth doing.

22 minutes ago, Apple said:

I tend to only post reviews on books which I've either adored or hated no middle of the of the road this book was ok 'Meh' type reviews as I don't think they worth doing.

The middle-of-the-road reviews are often more interesting...

• 1 month later...