Classical Music

Royal Rother

Being in a particularly stressful period at work I have taken to playing classical music in the background recently, but having been through my not extensive collection 2 or 3 times I need some more.

I particularly like:

Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto.

Brahms' Violin Concerto.

Beethoven's 5th and 6th

Swan Lake

L'Arlesienne (Bizet)

Finlandia Suite (Sibelius)

Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto

Scheherazade - (Rimski Korsakov)

Any recommendations for me?

Edward Alleyn-Johnson - Purple Electric Violin Concerto, especially his variation on Pachelbel's Canon (apologies if that's not the right spelling).

The Humming Chorus from Madam Butterfly

O Mio Babbino Caro - Gianni Schicci (Puccini)

Chi il bel sogno do Doretta - La Rondine (Puccini)

Faure's requiem (can't do the slanty thing above the e) a little depressing but quite calming.

Good luck!

I'd include any of these in a list of music to take my mind off stressful things:

Bach Double Violin Concerto

Bach Brandenberg Concertos

Bruch Violin Concerto

Grieg Holberg Suite

Arvo Part - Spiegel imSpiegel

To my mind, the Bach Double Violin and the Bruch Violin Concertos are full of huge striving stirring themes... The Brandenbergs and the Holberg Suite are busier pieces, but I find them motivating and the Arvo Part is hypnotic and meditative...

Would love to hear back as to whether you love, hate or remain unmoved by any of these! :)

• 1 year later...

Replies

Royal Rother 19th January 2006 09:49 PM

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.

I have only today got around to downloading Beethoven's Sonatas 1, 2 and 3, Bruch's Violin Concerto No 1 and Bach's Violin Concertos BWV 1041, 1042 and 1043.

1043 appears to be the "double concerto" you refer to Jane Nadia. What does BWV and the number actually mean though? :o

Dr. Strangelove 19th January 2006 10:29 PM

I'm a big fan of Debussy, his work is so dream like and doesn't sound like anything else. Good stuff. I love the usual, however I think Vivaldi's 4 seasons are highly overrated.

Stewart 19th January 2006 10:49 PM

Orff, Mozart, and Mussorgsky for me.

Flingo 19th January 2006 10:54 PM

I believe the BWV comes from German. It is part of the numbering system for Bach's work. They use a K for Mozart. The number is like a catalogue number - chronological in order of the different works.

Google explains that BWV = Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis

a Thematic-Systematic Listing of the Works of J.S. Bach

see

here for more, or do a google search for "BWV" Bach Why

Harriet 20th January 2006 09:20 AM

I think that Rhapsody on a Theme of Pagnini by Rachmaninov is one of the most beautiful pieces ever written. Can't get enough of it.

My Friend Jack 20th January 2006 12:17 PM

That's how I feel about the Intermezzo from Cavelleria Rusticana, composed by Pietro Mascagni. Beautiful.

Lei-Lei Jayenne 21st January 2006 12:43 PM

I've been getting into a bit of classical music lately aswell. It's soothing effects on newborn babies is widely acknowledged and very accurate in my experience, especially the likes of Mozart and Bach. Someone also gave me a CD of Baroque music, that Scarlett and I adore, though as they didn't put a track-listing with it, I couldn't begin to tell you the pieces or composers. Apparently, as well as soothing baby, some Classical pieces are very stimulating for baby brain cells.

Mungus 21st January 2006 01:22 PM

I'm a total dunce when it comes to classical music but I'd really like to get in to it. What I need is some expert advice...

When it comes to non-classical ('pop' doesn't seem to be the right word!) music, I like things with complicated arrangements and strings, the sort of thing that rewards repeated listening. If anything is ever described as 'over produced', I'll probably love it. My particular favourties in this regard are Rufus Wainwright (who I know loves Verdi) and Bjork (who oddly enough seems to listen to death metal, whatever that is).

Anyone got any suggestions for me. Nothing too dark and moody.

Flingo 2nd February 2006 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mungus

Anyone got any suggestions for me. Nothing too dark and moody

What about Shostakovich - has lots of layers and unusual key changes and tempo's? Years of music study at school (GCSE and A level) exposed me to lots of different types of classical music, most of which I can appreciate the brilliance of. Out of choice though, I tend to listen to the more "modern" classical music, early 1900's. It is much more fun to perform as well!

I knew I'd replied to this one and I found my entry. But there is one missing between RR's #15 and my #17.

Momo 26th January 2007, 08:40 PM

I have only just found this thread. I like a lot of different classic composers, Bach, Beethoven, Elgar, Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovski, Vivaldi, to name a few famous ones. But there are a lot of great ones out there that are not as known. Anyway, a good way to start is to listen to the radio and/or watch Classic FM on Sky (if you get it). And there are a lot of cheap compilations. The good thing with classical music is that there are so many different artists interpreting their songs and because they have been dead for so long, there are no (or very little) royalties to be paid so you can have a lot of CDs cheaply (if you don't choose the one from the most famous artist).

Anyway, someone asked what the K in the list of Mozart's works is. There was a musicologist called Ludwig von Köchel who listed all of Mozart's compostions and gave every single one a number. This list is now called the Köchel-Verzeichnis (= Köchel list).

Here it is!:

Adrian 26th January 2007, 11:00 AM

Recently I've listened to the Mozart Piano Concertos (there's a lot of them, variable in quality but none a duffer and some really good, but you oughtn't listen to too many at once) and Rachmaniov's symphonies. I think the second was the best, but they're all good.

And bits of Wagner. Parsifal is four hours of heaven. I've sat through other operas and everybody wakes up at well-known pieces, but with Parsifal there's not a wasted note in the whole piece. I went in expecting not to like to like it and came out stunned.

There is also a post 18:

Dr. Strangelove 26th January 2007, 11:37 PM

Rachmaninoff's concerto 2 is absolutely astounding....

What I love about classical music is that its open to everyones own interpretation, it doesnt have word to tell you what to think. And its about 10,000 times more expressive than most pop music.

I HATE Vivaldi's 4 seasons and also don't like Mozart that much.

My favourite pieces are:

Tchaicovsky's Swan Lake

Rachmaninoff's 2nd concerto

Ravel's Bolero

Cavelleria Rusticana as mentioned by MFJ

The Planets by Holst

I'm a huge fan of opera and I think my favourite songs have to be

Libiamo from La Traviata

La Donna e mobile from Rigoletto

Recondita Armonia from Tosca

L'improvisso from Andrea Chernir

of course Nessun Dorma from Tosca.

La damnation de Faust

And other odd bits here and there, it's a shame more people my age (17) don't appreciate classical music because it is so amazing and breathtaking. The first time I heard Mars from the planets i literally felt a shiver down my spin.

I think that's all folks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Being in a particularly stressful period at work I have taken to playing classical music in the background recently, but having been through my not extensive collection 2 or 3 times I need some more.

I particularly like:

Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto.

Brahms' Violin Concerto.

Beethoven's 5th and 6th

Swan Lake

L'Arlesienne (Bizet)

Finlandia Suite (Sibelius)

Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto

Scheherazade - (Rimski Korsakov)

Any recommendations for me?

Ahh Finlandia...fantastic pieve of music and amazingly good tasting Vodka from the land of the Finns. ;)

And for recommendations?

Anything by Hans Zimmer

and the score of Lord of the Rings by Howard Shore because it is truely a masterpiece. :)