• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Do we actually have a definitive end date?

According to the Talmud, it's 30 September, 2239.

11 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Do we actually have a definitive end date?

Hazel was  thinking of June, but she hasn't been any more precise about an end date, nor a process for getting there.

Hey everyone, so Stuart has confirmed the following regarding the site 

closure - 

“when the hosting expires, I will export a backup of the entire site and send it to you. You can use this backup to restore the site in future if you decide to do so. Once this happens however, the website will no longer be accessible, so if members want to make copies of things (like print a page to PDF) then now would be a good time to do that.“

so first of all, if you want to keep certain lists, posts etc, it would be a good idea to start copying things over. 

Second, the site fees are due in June, I will get the exact date ( I paid last years on the 31st May and I am pretty sure that was early) from Stuart and that will be our close date. 

• 1 month later...

I am finding Book Club Forum unsatisfactory, so withdraw any recommendations I made earlier.

I was misled by wishful thinking, and a similar appearnce to BGO - as they had recently transferred to the same host (Invision). The problems evident at that time have not been dealt with, and I suspect that the administrator has taken on more that she can cope with, or has not managed to gather a sufficiently competent team.

It is a shame, but I will not be doing much more than popping in there now and again. 

5 hours ago, megustaleer said:

I am finding Book Club Forum unsatisfactory, so withdraw any recommendations I made earlier.

I was misled by wishful thinking, and a similar appearnce to BGO - as they had recently transferred to the same host (Invision). The problems evident at that time have not been dealt with, and I suspect that the administrator has taken on more that she can cope with, or has not managed to gather a sufficiently competent team.

It is a shame, but I will not be doing much more than popping in there now and again. 

You mean that the site is slow to react? Every time I log in there, it seems to be endlessly buffering or something.

I also dislike the general setup. But otherwise it seems okay.

Yes, it is very slow. I've had some editing problems and can't add links.  Book reviews are difficult to find, and don't seem particularly active. Active threads seem mainly to be personal book blogs, and feel a bit exclusive. 

Don't know if BGO really has a better format, or if I have become set in BGO ways after 16years, either way, Book Club Forum isn't doing it for me.

56 minutes ago, megustaleer said:

Yes, it is very slow. I've had some editing problems and can't add links.  Book reviews are difficult to find, and don't seem particularly active. Active threads seem mainly to be personal book blogs, and feel a bit exclusive. 

Don't know if BGO really has a better format, or if I have become set in BGO ways after 16years, either way, Book Club Forum isn't doing it for me.

Yes, all true.

I dislike the book blogs. You actively have to search through someone's personal reading to see if they're reading something you've also read. Not sure what the point of that is. It's a 'forum.' The idea is surely to encourage discussion rather than ask people to hide it away. Anyway. 

10 hours ago, megustaleer said:

I've managed to post links. I agree with everything you've said though and I thought that my problem was just that I was used to BGO.

ETA: You can do a search on the home page of BCF the same way we do on our forum when looking for a book.  

Edited by lunababymoonchild
addition of hopefull useful information
2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

You can do a search on the home page of BCF the same way we do on our forum when looking for a book.  

To do that you have to have a book in mind. No discovering amazing books because someone has started a thread on it. Would never have read This Thing of Darkness,  The Children's War,  Lonesome Dove

or many other fantastic book if it had not been for the individual threads on them. 

11 hours ago, hux said:

I dislike the book blogs. You actively have to search through someone's personal reading to see if they're reading something you've also read. Not sure what the point of that is. It's a 'forum.' The idea is surely to encourage discussion rather than ask people to hide it away.

Which is how  feel. 

What I will miss about BGO mostly is the people I have engaged with through the forum - many I have been missing for a while, and some I have mentioned on the "Memories of BGO" thread.

I wouldn't expect any other forum to fill that gap, even BGO doesn't do that any longer.

38 minutes ago, megustaleer said:

To do that you have to have a book in mind. No discovering amazing books because someone has started a thread on it. Would never have read This Thing of Darkness,  The Children's War,  Lonesome Dove

or many other fantastic book if it had not been for the individual threads on them. 

Which is how  feel. 

See what you mean.  Me too. 

On 02/05/2021 at 00:06, hux said:

I dislike the book blogs. You actively have to search through someone's personal reading to see if they're reading something you've also read. Not sure what the point of that is. It's a 'forum.' The idea is surely to encourage discussion rather than ask people to hide it away. Anyway. 

They are willing to discuss this on the BCF forum and are looking for suggestions.

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

They are willing to discuss this on the BCF forum and are looking for suggestions.

I feel a bit guilty swanning over there and telling them to be more like BGO 😂

But yeah, the personal blogs aren't to my tastes. It feels almost intrusive. 

19 hours ago, hux said:

I feel a bit guilty swanning over there and telling them to be more like BGO 😂

But yeah, the personal blogs aren't to my tastes. It feels almost intrusive. 

So do I Hux.

Just browsed Book Club Forum and see you lot are causing s storm 😄

Must admit browsing is a pain. For any new visitor they see a sea of all these blogs pffffff.

They are a close community but should accept improvement suggestions if they want new people to join in.

My post last Saturday was probably a bit hard. I hadn't realised that their 'old' host is being difficult about letting "invision" have access to parts of BCF's data(?), which is why they are not progressing with the transfer very quickly. I'm sure the technical things will improve - they are just not as far down the road as I had thought.

BGO had a lot of complaints initially about the long list of forums on the front page, and although some changes were made Bill stuck to his idea of the Book Forums taking the lead here.

We all prefer what we are used to - but it is BGO that is closing, so it is  not surprising that BCF think their way is best!

Probably.  

Not something I can do, Hazels department I expect. She last logged in on March 25th. No idea if she will make an appearance before the plug is pulled -  in three weeks time apparently.

Not only Hazel already moved on, it seems. Tagesmann and I are the only moderators  who have been here in the last month.

1 hour ago, megustaleer said:

Not only Hazel already moved on, it seems. Tagesmann and I are the only moderators  who have been here in the last month.

Hazel moved on a very long time ago. More than a year. And if the Admin of the site can't be bothered then it's no surprise that the site goes down. I had noticed the lack of moderating team a while ago too.

2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Hazel moved on a very long time ago. More than a year. And if the Admin of the site can't be bothered then it's no surprise that the site goes down. I had noticed the lack of moderating team a while ago too.

Yes, we were all less involved.  That's a shame.

Distinctly sorry to read the above observations. Especially that Hazel, as it seems, just f*cked off without a with-your-leave or a by-your leave. I'd (vaguely) understood she had more integrity than that. But of course one never knows. Sorry to have been disappointed in that respect. John

That's not quite  fair. 

Hazel  had a number of ongoing commitments, but had reluctantly taken on the mantel of Administrator after David died, and sort of got stuck with it, as none of the other mods were keen to shoulder the responsibility.

Gradually her other commitments have taken over her BGO time, and although she has continued to handle the finances, liaised with invision and handled technical admin stuff her enthusiasm for posting here has long gone.  

This happens - but she has kept paying the bills, so BGO has had no more catastrophic, unannounced  closures, which happened a couple of times for that reason. in the past.

It would just have been nice if the other moderators, and Hazel herself, had stuck with us to the end, rather than slipping away without a goodbye. But that seems to be the way most people have left over the years.

Silly really, the way we can fool ourselves into thinking online relationships have any sort of meaning.

10 hours ago, megustaleer said:

That's not quite  fair. 

Hazel  had a number of ongoing commitments, but had reluctantly taken on the mantel of Administrator after David died, and sort of got stuck with it, as none of the other mods were keen to shoulder the responsibility.

Gradually her other commitments have taken over her BGO time, and although she has continued to handle the finances, liaised with invision and handled technical admin stuff her enthusiasm for posting here has long gone.  

This happens - but she has kept paying the bills, so BGO has had no more catastrophic, unannounced  closures, which happened a couple of times for that reason. in the past.

It would just have been nice if the other moderators, and Hazel herself, had stuck with us to the end, rather than slipping away without a goodbye. But that seems to be the way most people have left over the years.

Silly really, the way we can fool ourselves into thinking online relationships have any sort of meaning.

I fully understand why nobody would want to do the admin of this, or any other, site. And I thought that because the bills were being paid that we were alright. It's far too late to do anything about it now but I wonder why it wasn't put to the membership, long before it came to this, that a new Admin would be required and/or more moderators to step in to save the site from just dying? If nobody came forward then we would have known that the site was dying and that was that.