21 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I've been on this other forum for a while

It seems that my membership to Book Cub Forum is still 'llve', even though it must be ten years since I last posted. 

The 'maintenance' for which they were recently down' was because they have a new host, and they were updating the site.

Interestingly, their new host is "Invision" - which is the host for BGO, so the layout is quite similar to ours, so it won't be such a dramatic change, visually, for anyone moving over to them.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably still to do their change of host - work seems still to be ongoing. 

We had a few members of BookClub Forums join BGO back in 2018, when they were in trouble and considering closing, but it seems that one of the moderators stepped in and took over, so it never actually happened. Unfortunately for us, only Madeleine stayed on here.

3 minutes ago, megustaleer said:

Probably still to do their change of host - work seems still to be ongoing. 

We had a few members of BookClub Forums join BGO back in 2018, when they were in trouble and considering closing, but it seems that one of the moderators stepped in and took over, so it never actually happened. Unfortunately for us, only Madeleine stayed on here.

I was in the unenviable position whereby my login name was listed as taken but I couldn't log in without the confirmation email.  I have that now, so it probably was just a hiccup. 

I remember that some came over here and yes, left again.

I've created an account there. I don't like their set-up as much as here. It seems a little vague in terms of where to post book reviews. Doing it by century seems more straightforward. 

I also like the bar on the side that let's you know what the most recent posts are.

Edited by hux
9 hours ago, hux said:

I've created an account there. I don't like their set-up as much as here. It seems a little vague in terms of where to post book reviews. Doing it by century seems more straightforward. 

I also like the bar on the side that let's you know what the most recent posts are.

I'm sure that we'll get used to it.  As for the most recent posts you can click on the Activity tab at the top of the page (next to the Browse tab) and that tells you the most recent activity or at the right hand side there's an All Activity tab which does the same thing. Also, when you log in there's an unread content tab. I prefer it the way we've set it up too.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Change is always difficult, especially if you've been used to a particulart state of affairs. There were lots of things we found uncomfortable in the changes when we first moved to Invision, but which we found we preferred once we got used to them. The recent update here, only a few weeks ago, gave me a couple of problems but once I knew what the changes were I soon got used to them. 

I think Book Club Forums is the nearest forum to BGO that has been found so far, even though there are things about it we think are better done here (like cataloguing books by century)

Oh no! I'm so, so sorry. I know all I have ever done is post on the poetry chain, but you can't imagine how much that has meant to  me. Thank you so much, Luna, for keeping it going. There are so few people out there who love  poetry.

I'm not on Facebook, so when the site closes it will be goodbye. Thanks to all those who made it possible.

Tout lasse, tout casse, tout passe.

1 hour ago, Heather said:

Oh no! I'm so, so sorry. I know all I have ever done is post on the poetry chain, but you can't imagine how much that has meant to  me. Thank you so much, Luna, for keeping it going. There are so few people out there who love  poetry.

I'm not on Facebook, so when the site closes it will be goodbye. Thanks to all those who made it possible.

Tout lasse, tout casse, tout passe.

You are welcome, Heather. Can you not join Book Club Forum (Book Club Forum) and we can start a poetry thread over there?

3 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

You are welcome, Heather. Can you not join Book Club Forum (Book Club Forum) and we can start a poetry thread over there?

There is a "Poetry, Plays and Short Stories" forum over there, and the "favourite poets" thread reaches 7 pages, although there has been nothing posted on it since 2019. I'm sure that could be revived, and I don't see why a Poetry Chain couldn't take off

Just a few questions.

What happens to all the posts on the forum when the site closes in May/June? Will all this information, laughs, sobs, debates and insight just be lost? Would be a shame if it is, so much to learn on here.

If they are similar types of forums using the same kind of data bases, would it be possible to transfer as an archive to the Book Club Forum?

Just seems such a shame to lose so much.

Edited by Clavain

Bless you Hazel. An admin that really hasn't been involved much recently. Took control says how it is. Sadly comes to you to announce.

Goodbye all was good. 

Edited by Clavain

Very sad to hear of the dwindling membership, resulting in closure of this site. Although I've rarely, if ever, contributed to discussions, I've always been fascinated to read people's annual book lists, so I'll miss this site - thank you so much to everyone who kept it going for so long. I won't be joining the Facebook group - apart from many other issues with Facebook, I find the "groups" structure very messy and impossible to impose any meaningful order, unlike the excellent Forum structure of this site. I'll be moving over to Book Club Forum, so hope to see all your lists there, folks!

1 hour ago, pvincent said:

Very sad to hear of the dwindling membership, resulting in closure of this site. Although I've rarely, if ever, contributed to discussions, I've always been fascinated to read people's annual book lists, so I'll miss this site.

Perhaps we could have a BGO collective on Goodreads to suplement Facebook?

7 minutes ago, tagesmann said:

Perhaps we could have a BGO collective on Goodreads to suplement Facebook?

Well we can.

As a test I created one here https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1148702-bookgrouponline

Is this an idea people want to take forward?  Of course, instead of giving Facebook your data you would be sharing with Amazon (but only about books).

1 hour ago, tagesmann said:

Well we can.

As a test I created one here https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1148702-bookgrouponline

Is this an idea people want to take forward?  Of course, instead of giving Facebook your data you would be sharing with Amazon (but only about books).

I'm there!

3 hours ago, tagesmann said:

Well we can.

How does it work over there? I assumed it was just a billion book reviews (that become difficult to follow as a consequence) and not much more. 

7 minutes ago, hux said:

How does it work over there? I assumed it was just a billion book reviews (that become difficult to follow as a consequence) and not much more. 

Have a look.
You can document your library, record which books you have read, and join discussions.

Well I am as guilty as others for not posting as much as I should/could have. But I always checked in and read the reviews and when I had something to say about a book I would contribute. Like Clavain I would have been willing to consider a monthly payment to keep the site going but fully understand the reasons for shutting it down. I hope it is still available as an archive for reference and if that isn't possible could someone let us know ASAP as I think there are some things I'd like to save for myself. 

I have enjoyed the site, like all I felt a change after David was no longer with us, but it still provided a place where I could go and know I was in the right kind of company. I am sad it will end and hope that the new alternatives prove successful. I've joined the Good Reads one and will give the Book Forums one a go as well. 

Unfortunately, like some others, Facebook is not for me. 

I would also like to add my thanks to all the mods, past and present for their work keeping the site alive and a pleasant place to visit. 

Edited by Tay
On 15/02/2021 at 11:39, Tay said:

I would also like to add my thanks to all the mods, past and present for their work keeping the site alive and a pleasant place to visit. 

I agree. Thank you so much, all of you.

I know that I was far from a regular poster here and had a tendency to stay away for lengthy periods of time. But that does not prevent these tidings to sadden me.

What I like a lot here are the games and quizzes. I will mis those sourly.

Let's see what the new avenues bring us.

Tom

On 07/02/2021 at 20:15, tagesmann said:

Well we can.

Just a reminder that this group is just getting started on GoodReads.