Madeleine Ferat is a fictional account of a woman's  life.  She is very young when her only remaining parent, her father, dies and she is sent off to boarding school with her care entrusted to her father's friend.  She is very beautiful and the friend decides, despite the fact that he is old enough to be her grandfather, that he wants her for himself. He tries to take her and she escapes straight into the arms of her first love. She lives with him for a year then he decides to go off to China and leaves her where she is.  She does have an income left to her by her father and soon enough she meets another man with whom she co-habits, eventually marries and they have a child. Her husband, William had a very bad time at boarding school and was bullied relentlessly until he meets an older boy who prevents this.  They become fast friends and enjoy a lot of good times together.  This friend eventually goes off to China - yes it's the same man - and is feared dead but returns.  He has no idea that Madeleine is married to William and William, naturally does not know about James.  Then Madeleine finds out that the friend who was feared dead and has returned is James and her shame knows no bounds.  She is eventually forced to tell her husband  and he is as horrified as she is shocked. The bulk of the book is then taken up with their suffering and boy do they suffer.  James never finds out that Madeleine is married to William but he does meet her again a couple of times. 

This was written in 1868 and we are dealing with the morality and sexism of the time period. Which is why both Madeleine and William suffer so. Their love, we gradually find out is an obsessive suffocating kind of love and they were happy for the first five years of their marriage, secluded in the remote country house left to William by his father. His father also left him a fortune so neither of them had to work.  William is a weak individual who sits back and lets things happen and Madeleine is eventually ground down by his evangelistic servant who guesses her secret and quotes the bible at her relentlessly.

It's an intense novel and can be heavy going at times because of this intensity but it's incredibly well written and Zola clearly has a full understanding of the minds of the people about whom he's writing.

I enjoyed it immensely and would recommend it but realise that it's not for everyone.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By lunababymoonchild
      This is the first Emile Zola book that I've read and I loved it.

I read the Robin Buss translation on Penguin Classics.

It was first published in 1867 and caused a sensation. I can see why.

It's a story about a young woman who grows up with a sickly boy and marries him, then goes on to have a passionate affair with his friend who, in colusion with the woman, kills her husband. The book then goes on to examine the psychological effects of the murder on both the woman and her lover, whom she subsequently marries. Even now, what's described is quite shocking and very realistic.

It reminded me of McBeth and Banquo's ghost a little but became so very much more than that. The prose is wonderful to read and Buss's translation (as far as I can tell!) flows very nicely.

As far as I understand it, this is one of the novels that is not included in the Rougon-Macquart series.

Highly recommended.
    • By Lei-Lei Jayenne
      Has anybody actually read all twenty books in this cycle? I'm making an attempt at the moment, though it's hard to find some of the more obscure titles. Having read Nana, Germinal and L'Assomoir so far, I am so impressed with Zola's gritty writing style. I wish i'd started reading him years ago.
    • By Hilary
      I am about to begin Germinal. I have seen it as a film years ago I think and I *think* it was one of the books we read in French for French A-level, though I remember little or nothing of it. Maybe it will all coming flooding back to me when I begin? It will be strange seeing what I remember of the French. If anything.
    • By helenoftroy
      I stumbled across this book in the library a few weeks ago, and have been hooked ever since! Described as 'encapsulation in luxurious detail the phenomenon of consumer society', this is a brilliant book, with stunning imagery and descriptions. It is about Denise, a young woman who moves to Paris with her two younger brothers, orphaned and seeking work, from the provinces, and how her fate becomes embroiled with that of the 'Bonheur des Dames', a clothing shop and haberdashery. May not sound thrilling, but you can have my word that I've so far found this book to be really exciting, insightful and thoroughly interesting, I'd recommend it to anyone, particularly of course anyone interested in that era, or 'consumerism'.

I'd read quite a bit about Emile Zola before, but mostly only biographical, about his friendship with Cezanne, and this is the first book of his I've read (there are loads more which I intend to read also, having read this one). I'm finding that he completely lives us to his reputation as the 'foremost representative of the Naturalist school'.