Sign in to follow this  

As the title suggests this is a story about Uncle Silas. Maude is the somewhat cossetted and innocent only child of Austin Ruthyn (wife deceased) who is wealthy beyond compare and brother of Silas Ruthyn who was similarly wealthy but no more, and is suspected of murdering a man in his house - Silas actually occupies property belonging to Austin. Austin dies suddenly and leaves his entire estate to Maude, held in trust until she is 21, she is 19 at the time.  He also stipulates that she is to be under the guardianship of her uncle Silas and live with him in her father's property, Bartam Haugh. Silas, of course, is vastly different to Austin and Maude discovers that all is not well at Bartram Haugh fairly quickly. What she finds out is the substance of the story.

This is the definitive Victorian, Gothic, psychological thriller and well worth the effort it takes to read it (it is, of course, written in the manner of prose popular in the Victorian era and is, perhaps, a little more challenging than the usual fare of today). It also contains the famous locked room mystery which is resolved at the end of the book.

Highly recommended

This was another book read as a teenager at my grandmother's distinctly gothic house. I loved it. Thanks for reminding me of it Luna I must find a copy to give to my daughters.

1 hour ago, Viccie said:

This was another book read as a teenager at my grandmother's distinctly gothic house. I loved it. Thanks for reminding me of it Luna I must find a copy to give to my daughters.

You are welcome. Definitely one for the dark nights.