To War with the Walkers by Annabel Venning

Take one family of six, four brothers and two sisters. Add in a history of service within the fading Empire, a sprinkle of entitlement and a whole barrel load of dedication and personal fortitude. Introduce a World War and send them off to fight, to heal, to survive. From Devon to India, Burma, Malaya, Italy and the hospitals of London this fast paced, biography reads like a cross between a thrilling action novel and a thoroughly researched family history.

They are of course all dead now, but when, in the epilogue, the author lists the nature and the times of their deaths I felt sadness, so well had I become to know them throughout the book.

This book has almost everything, military history, family history, medical history. Tales of courage and perseverance. Reminders of the horrors of war, the indiscriminate and sadistic. I highly recommend this book.

From Amazon - "The miraculous story of the Walkers, six siblings who survived Blitz, battle and internment and whose incredible experiences tell a new social history of WW2, told by historian and Walker descendant Annabel Venning."

• 3 weeks later...