Sign in to follow this  
chuntzy

A Month in Siena

In this short book the author fulfils a long-held ambition to visit this unspoilt Tuscany city. The artworks dating from the 13rh and 14th centuries are his prime interests and his observations on these show great perceptiveness. And then the narrative opens out as he saunters the medieval lanes that radiate out from the great central piazza.  He had left his native Libya when it was under Gadaffi's rule, settled in London and sometimes in New York.

His writing is perceptive and unshowy. I visited Siena many years ago and share his love of it. I wish I could write about it like him.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Flingo
      In the Country of Men - Hisham Matar
      Rescued Thread from 27th March 2006

Which is a straight copy of what it says on the back of the book!

This is due for publication at the end of July, and Penguin have decided to send proofs round to Reading Groups to get some feedback. There is a questionnaire that accompanies it, with some very bizarre questions(eg "What is the most unique thing about this book?").

The back of the book also states this is "as unputdownable and heartbreaking as The Kite Runner". Having not read The Kite Runner, and having seen Stewart's review I had no desire to!

However, I thought I ought to give this a go. It was a lot more readable than I expected, and dwelt a lot less on the politics of the Gaddafi regime than it could have. I don't think I lost out by not knowing much about the political or historical detail.

I didn't find it as emotional, or unputdownable as the back led me to believe I would, but I am glad I read it. I am also interested now in reading Kite Runner to see how it compares.

As I say the writing style was easy to read, and the plot was well-constructed. The main character, Suleiman, is clearly a product of his upbringing, and in the UK would be regularly visiting a counsellor! The background to the family, and the family life, is so clearly described that you can understand why he behaves in the way he does.

Suleiman and his family do seem like real people. I visualised a lot of the detail of the setting (eg the garden around their house) very clearly.

Overall, a good book - well written and well developed.