Sign in to follow this  
hux

The Gathering

I bought and read this because it was a Booker prize winner (2007). It's about the death of an Irish woman's brother and the memories associated with him.

And while it's very good, very readable, with nice short chapters and a compelling narrator, it always felt just a little... I dunno... obvious.

Modern books all seem to be like this. Slightly dazed (and somewhat robotic) narrators who 'gaze at the begonias and think about Richard and the summer when we held hands that time.' It's all a bit by-the-numbers and predictable with an author who talks about the world as though they have a unique perspective that other people just don't have (they're always bored by sex while their partners are very keen). Again, I dunno. It just felt like I've read this already (I strongly suspect 'Normal People' will be very similar). 

The twist, if you can call it that, was another cliche. 

Perhaps it was a mistake to read this after reading 'The Leopard.' That book was a sweeping epic with dense, fluid prose and lyrical language with subtle themes exploring the decay of life, the passing of time, and the fragility of the human condition. This, by comparison, hits you over the head. 

I dunno. I might need some time to digest it. Very readable though. 

Edited by hux

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By iff
      review of The Green Road by Anne Enright

In this book, it focuses on a mother and her children, the Madigan family in Ardeevin, Co. Clare as we visit each of the 5 characters in the first section for one chapter of their life before we get to the final section where they all return from wherever they be to the family home for one last Christmas (That reminds me a bit of The Corrections by Jonathan Frantzen malthough I'm sure others use the same plot too). Don't worry, if that is a spoiler, the back of the book spoils it initially, not me.

Overall this was a disappointing read. I found the characters lacking in character and pretty annoying. The writing was bland, boring and uninspiring. My favourite thing about it was the ending, well getting to the ending.

The style of just picking a short period for each character for their own chapter over 25 years from the first chapter to the last chapter just leaves the reader in the dark and lacks any explanation as to who the character gets to that stage. One minute, one character is off to become a priest, the next he has quit the priesthood and wants gay sex behind his fiance's back. Well I guess that one is kind of explainable but anyway. Yes, we are given some background information during their individual chapters as to how they got to that stage but it isn't enough. Enright could have done a bit more with the story but it was just very meandering and uninteresting.

I just didn't like it

★★
    • By Stewart
      Although it’s a stereotype, sometimes it seems all an Irish writer has to do is take a populous family, spice it up with alcoholism, suicide, some sexual abuse, and then garnish it with an undercurrent of Catholicism. Anne Enright takes this formula in The Gathering and bleaches the prose to the point that all colour is removed. If the spicy topics are grim by nature, then this novel is all the more grim thanks to its unrelenting bleak outlook on life.

Liam Hegarty has went the way of Woolf, weighing himself down with stones and drowning. After this, the remaining nine siblings of the family (three are dead, another seven miscarried) gather in Dublin for his wake. Closest to him is Veronica, our narrator, and The Gathering follows her attempt to confront an event, in 1968, she admits she is “not sure if it really did happen”. It’s this turning point in their lives that Veronica believes has led to her brother’s alcoholism and eventual suicide at forty.

Further to the contemporary story (which amounts to collecting Liam’s body and the funeral) Veronica Hegarty’s story heads back to 1925, where she imagines a love triangle between her grandmother and the two men vying for her heart - Charlie Spillane and Lambert Nugent - that proves the seed for Liam’s later decline. The hazy nature of that time, which Veronica couldn’t possibly know, is readily acknowledge and nicely given substance:

He must be reassembled; click clack; his muscles hooked to bone and wrapped with fat, the whole skinned over and dressed in a suit of navy or brown - something about the cut of the lapels, maybe that is a little too sharp, and the smell on his hands would be already a little finer than carbolic.
      It all seems good, the family saga stripped to the essentials (”I lay them out in nice sentences, all my clean, white bones.”) and the parallel storylines, both of which are (or are not) imagined, that intersect. The only problem is that it’s boring to read. While there’s nothing wrong with Veronica’s merciless grey outlook she is also self-obsessed to the point of wrapping herself in her own story, the endless navel gazing proving tedious along with a phallic preoccupation that goes without explanation. One wonders if she isn’t just using her brother’s death to transfer her own history of sexual abuse to him in an attempt to move on with her life. But, if so, there’s no hint that her life has come to an obstacle. She has a family, she seems grateful - what’s the problem? Why so bleak?

The Gathering is probably the most pessimistic book on the longlist and seems to be collecting a wave of mixed reviews. Personally, I found reading it a fatiguing experience. There’s plenty of nice observations throughout on such topics as the nature of sex, travel, family, but there’s so much more given over to Veronica Hegarty who, rather than tell Liam’s story, seems more comfortable with her own. At least she’s comfortable.