Sign in to follow this  
lunababymoonchild

Which is best, paper, audio or e-book?

I have lots of opinons.

I don't think there is a difference between physical and ebooks

I think the suggestion that we use different parts of our brains is worth exploring - because my experience suggests no difference.

I prefer ebooks for the convenience.  I like physical books because they are an advertisment and encourage interaction with other readers.

I'm torn between paper and e-book. I love my paper books and much prefer them but waiting for them to come through the post and then knowing what to do with them once I'm done is a constant challenge. I love that I can buy the complete works of ……… on Kindle for 49p and have done but I don't enjoy reading it on the app on my tablet.  I had a Kindle but sent it back because it just didn't suit me. 

Never tried audio books.

I definitely don't read as deeply when I'm reading an ebook. I like their practicality and the freedom that buying books at 99p gives you since you don't feel so oblidged to finish them or have to work out what to do with a turkey like you do with a physical book.

E books are nothing like as satisfactory for plots which need flicking back occasionally, have maps or illustrations or the sometime very necessary cast lists. I'd never have a cookery book on Kindle either.

I've recently come to audio books and that again is a different experience - the narrator shapes the listener, for good or bad, in their perception of the story. Fr instance I've just been listening to Clare Fuller's Swimming Lessons which was a god story but the narrator gave one of the charecters a whiny cod-Essex voice (she grew up on the south coast so it was especially off) and it was so irritating that I very nearly abandoned it. According to the reviews a lot of people did. I've just read Tata Westover's Educated on Kindle after listening to it last year, and the reading was much more powerful and emotive. Of course this could be because I was already familiar with the narrative.