Sign in to follow this  
Cathy

You might notice that I now have an avatar, which I am trying out. There was a glitch on the site that has now been resolved.

However, this is NOT a green light to have your own avatar. At the moment, this is restricted. I am about to implement a voluntary subscription scheme, and one perk of this (or should that be the one perk of this?) is that subscribers will be permitted to have their own avatars. Don't worry, I won't be asking for huge amounts of wonga. We're about to enter the second year of this site, at which point I have to pay our kind hosts Distortion to continue.

I will be making a proper announcement about the Subscriber plan very shortly. In the meantime, moderators (ie Harriet, MFJ, megustaleer and Lulu) already have permission to have avatars, and I am happy for them to experiment. Go to Your Settings, and Edit Avatars and take it from there. You can either upload from your computer or from an existing website. If you need any help, post on here. Be warned though, the size of the avatar must be 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).

This is all I get..:(

Your Current Avatar: No Avatar Specified Avatars are small graphics that are displayed under your username whenever you post.

Do not use an avatar

Note: if you have a custom avatar selecting this option will delete it.

Did you try to upload an avatar from your own computer or from a website eg photobucket? Was it definitely small enough?

I ended up uploading from my computer, and it worked.

Sounds like a really good scheme to raise a bit of money for the site and to decorate the place all in one go....

Look forward to learning more.

There's nowhere for me to upload anything or put a link etc

Ah I see. I've just logged in as MD&G, and didn't have the avatar options I did as Bill. I'll look into it.

Edit - Try now, Harriet. Am about to enable the other moderators too.

It's from the World Series baseball last month, won by the Chicago White Sox. The losing Houston Astros have a player called Craig Biggio, who goes by the nickname BGO. You could have knocked me down wiv a fevver when I saw that in the crowd, and I managed to record a screen grab which I transferred to my computer.

All working, and have gone for the oh so amazing Thom Yorke.

80x80's teeny though! Not nearly enough to do him justice, any chance of making those limits a bit bigger?

That's looking very effective! When the time comes, Bill, I'd certainly appreciate some advice on how to shrink the image so that it's the right size. I remember your image from the captions thread, where it was obviously a lot bigger. That would be really helpful!

:)

Just a warning, since this is the most active current thread in this forum, that there may be periods in the next couple of days when the site may be down temporarily, although not for very long each time. This is to implement some of the changes I've been talking about.

This is most likely to be late at night, when traffic on here is at its slowest.

I have my avatar all lined up and raring to go - roll on the subscription service!!!!

D&D, I'm very impressed with the way you two did that!!

My little bro plays "Dungeons and Dragons", however whenever I hear those letters I think "Doom and Death" - are David and Deino the BGO's answer to Shakesperare's 3 witches?!

I wanted the improvements to the site to be in place, but hopefully the subscription option should be up and running by the end of next week.

I have to decide too whether it should be a one-off payment or annual (which would obviously be a smaller amount). And also decide how much!

are David and Deino the BGO's answer to Shakesperare's 3 witches?!

Well, if Bill suddenly meets an untimely end and is replaced by Megbeth then you'll know we've been up to something!

By the pricking of my thumbs...

Once you have paid the subscription can you change your avatar as often as you like?

In a word, yes. You would have complete control of uploading your avatar.

Interestingly, though, does that mean if we're in the middle of a post and the site goes down we'll be cut off in the mid

:D:D

David, BGO just wouldn't be the same without you.