Sign in to follow this  
lunababymoonchild

Howards End

From Amazon because they can put it better than me :  'Only connect.' is the idea at the heart of this book, a heart-breaking and provocative tale of three families at the beginning of the twentieth century: the rich Wilcoxes, the gentle, idealistic Schlegels and the lower-middle class Basts. As the Schlegel sisters try desperately to help the Basts and educate the close-minded Wilcoxes, the families are drawn together in love, lies and death.

Frequently cited as E. M. Forster's finest work, Howards End brilliantly explores class warfare, conflict and the English character.

It took me a while to get into this book but once in it was fascinating.  The class struggle, the close-minded Wilcoxes and the poor Basts.  There are a few twists in the plot to keep the reader's interest and it is clear that 'Only Connect' is at the heart of this book.  Good prose, superb plotting and great characters, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Recommended

Fab book - on my favourites list.  Agree with all lunababymoonchild's comments. Recommend the film too - Thompson and Hopkins are excellent in their roles.

FWIW, it's actually 'Howards End' - there is no apostrophe.

28 minutes ago, willoyd said:

FWIW, it's actually 'Howards End' - there is no apostrophe.

Corrected, thanks willoyd.