Sign in to follow this  
megustaleer

The Dublin Murders

Anyone watching this?

I don't like serials that are shown as two episodes a week, as I am not prepared to use up two evenings to  one drama, but I did watch episodes one and three.  I found it a bit confusing, and couldn't figure out where the road building fitted into the plot,  then when the doppelganger element was added I realised that I was never going to follow it in alternate episodes and gave up.

The drama is a mash-up of two of Tana French's novels, and the critics don't seem to think it worked. I would be interested in the opinions of those who have read the two novels and have seen the drama (last two episodes this week).

I had bought  In The Wood some years ago, on the strength of Hazel's review, so when Mm posted a review of The Wych Elm last month I pulled it off the shelf and, having given up on the TV version have started reading it. I am gripped so far.

I'm afraid I agree with the critics, I read both novels earlier this year - loved the first one, thought the second one was OK but too long - and although I think the first two episodes were excellent, it all started going wrong for me around episode 4, when they started to bring in the Lexie storyline.  When I heard that they were merging the two novels I thought oh-oh, and sadly it's all turning into a bit of a mess, too many storylines.  The road building is in the book, but the first book concentrates solely on the Katy Devlin murder and the earlier disappearance of the other children, whereas the 2nd book is only about the Lexie case apart from a few brief references to earlier incidents.

If you'd watched the 2nd episode it would have made more sense, I don't think you can watch a serial like this in alternate episodes, but the first few episodes were quite steady and did stick pretty closely to the first book before it all started to go haywire.