I just bought/borrowed/received...

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monthly splurge -

Corrag, Susan Fletcher (loved Eve Green, didn't like The Oystercatchers, give this a go)

Blackwater, Kerstin Ekman (as recommended by jfp)

Even the Dogs, Jon McGregor

Auslander, Paul Dowswell (recommended by a BGOer recently)

Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven, Sherman Alexie (loved Part-time Indian)

Tales of Error / Greetings from Hellville, Thomas Ott (the last couple to complete my Ott collection, LOVE the man!)

Picked up Hoo Hahs and Passing Frenzies, a collection of Francis Wheen's journalism, Jon Canter's "A Short Gentlemen" from the Jewish Book Week bookshop during the week.

I haven't. In fact, I didn't even know it was a movie!

Perlman's name is one that has been in the back of my mind ever since jfp posted a review on this forum of his novel Seven Types of Ambiguity. I picked this up, it sounded intriguing, noted it had received several awards in Australia, which is definitely the land of the unwanted gold!! and so thought it might be worth a punt.

Ah it´s an Australian movie..well worth a look, here´s a Review by David Stratton am definitely going to look up the book now! Thankyou!

This is not strictly a 'just bought/borrowed/received' thing as the book was just returned, but I had completely forgot I had it.

My friend borrowed from me the book 'Ben-Hur: A Tale Of The Time Of Our Lord' by L Wallace. It was given to me about three years ago as I love the film, but I just cannot seem to get into it. It is clearly an old copy with no date in it that I can find, which is why I have tried starting it quite a few times. However, each time I have quickly put it down again for another book and just forgot about it. My friend was unable to finish it too despite many attempts. She had put it aside to return to me as soon as possible and only recently rediscovered it while sorting through her own books. So now I have it back on my TBR pile for another attempt, although I am not sure I will - I may just stick with the film and forget about it again.

I found Donna Tartt's The Little Friend in a charity shop yesterday and as I'd just finished, and loved, The Secret History it seemed like fate! ;)

Treated myself to Colm Toibin's Brooklyn (thanks to Jen's recommendation) and Wolf Hall, £7 for both in Sainsbury. I'm not even safe from temptation at the supermarket! :rolleyes:

And two guilt-free new books: The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver and a lovely edition of Coraline and Other Stories by Neil Gaiman, both birthday presents.

More from Amazon:

"Collected Stories" by Hanif Kureishi

"Adventures on the High Teas" by Stuart Maconie

"The Wapshot Chronicle" by John Cheever

"The Kindly Ones" by Jonathan Littell

Yesterday i was let loose in Waterstone's for an hour and i bought

Never Let Me Go ~ Kazuo Ishiguro

Lolita ~ Vladimir Nabokov

Let The Right One In ~ John Ajvide Lindqvist

The Secret History ~ Donna Tartt

And also the 3 books i had ordered from Amazon came too - The Handmaid's Tale ~ Margaret Atwood, The Wasp Factory ~ Iain Banks and The Kite Runner ~ Khaled Hosseini

Should keep me going for a wee while

:D

Just ordered from Amazon :

Third Man: AND "The Fallen Idol" (Vintage Classics), Graham Greene

The Power and the Glory (Vintage Classics), Graham Greene, John Updike

The Shape of Things to Come: the Ultimate Revolution (Penguin Classics), H.G. Wells, John Clute

I Am Legend (Gollancz), Richard Matheson

Casanova: Actor, Spy, Lover, Priest, Ian Kelly

The Fortune of the Rougons, Emile Zola

The Forsyte Saga (Wordsworth Classics), John Galsworthy

Travels with My Aunt (Vintage Classics), Graham Greene

A Daughter's Love: Thomas and Margaret More, John Guy

Catherine de Medici: A Biography, Leonie Frieda

FlashForward, Robert J. Sawyer

Hope for the Flowers, Trina Paulus

My excuse? Gift certificates and the last one isn't for me. Think I'll get away with it? :D

"Sunnyside" by Glen David Gold

Oooh, having loved Carter, I have been looking forward to this but waiting for the right time. It just looks fab and I so don't want to be disappointed. I have it on my shelf. Maybe you'll get to it before me.