I just bought/borrowed/received...

Grammath

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah... thanks, Hazel. Dragon and Hornets are the only two I've got. I was tempted by the latter, it being so recent, but I take it I should read them in order? Would they not make sense if I read Hornets first? And if I read Dragon first, do I have to read number two before Hornets or can I skip it?

Just went on a bit of a mad spending spree:

~ The Crowner John series (consisting of 10 books) - Bernard Knight;

~ The remainder of the Flashman series (the 8 final books, as I already have the first 4) - George McDonald Fraser;

~ A Voyage to Arcturus - David Lindsay;

~ The Steel Remains - Richard Morgan;

~ Nation - Terry Pratchett.

I have told myself many times that I am to buy no more books before I have read all of the ones I already own. This continually fails! My bookcases are too full for my books (and I own an ereader, but still like seeing the covers on my shelf), and my time is too full to be able to read often, but I still buy! Anybody got any tips? :P

Oh, and I highly recommend Flashman to you all, it is a great read - historical fiction at it's best!

Just went on a bit of a mad spending spree:

~ The Crowner John series (consisting of 10 books) - Bernard Knight;

~ The remainder of the Flashman series (the 8 final books, as I already have the first 4) - George McDonald Fraser;

~ A Voyage to Arcturus - David Lindsay;

~ The Steel Remains - Richard Morgan;

~ Nation - Terry Pratchett.

I have told myself many times that I am to buy no more books before I have read all of the ones I already own. This continually fails! My bookcases are too full for my books (and I own an ereader, but still like seeing the covers on my shelf), and my time is too full to be able to read often, but I still buy! Anybody got any tips? :P

No. I do exactly the same thing so will be interested to hear hints and tips myself.

Which ereader do you have (perhaps on another thread?) and would you recommend one?

Ah... thanks, Hazel. Dragon and Hornets are the only two I've got. I was tempted by the latter, it being so recent, but I take it I should read them in order? Would they not make sense if I read Hornets first? And if I read Dragon first, do I have to read number two before Hornets or can I skip it?
In Hazel's absence, I feel the need to step in and strongly advise reading the trilogy in order. Hornets' in particular will make no sense whatsoever if you read it first, it carries on from the moment the second book finishes. But do read them all, they're fab and I'm currently very evangelical about them!

No. I do exactly the same thing so will be interested to hear hints and tips myself.

Which ereader do you have (perhaps on another thread?) and would you recommend one?

I'll send you a message about ereaders if you wish, instead of going wildly off-topic in here.

The new Hitchhikers Guide
There's a new one!?

In Hazel's absence, I feel the need to step in and strongly advise reading the trilogy in order. Hornets' in particular will make no sense whatsoever if you read it first, it carries on from the moment the second book finishes. But do read them all, they're fab and I'm currently very evangelical about them!

Thanks Jen. It makes sense to read them in order. Sometimes, as in Mother's Milk by Edward St Aubyn, a book that's actually part of a series will make sense despite not having read its prequels, but it sounds like with this series it's important to read them in the correct sequence. Looking forward to starting them.

I weakened and have just ordered Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel from Amazon. Now here's an extremely weird thing : when I clicked on my recommendations, in the books section it recommended Wolf Hall because : "Recommended because you purchased The Case for God: What Religion Really Means" Which is my current read. Wow, I'm really impressed.

They absolutely have to be read in order Leyla. It's not the case that they are three standalone crime novels, they are really one long story. I have just finished Fire and we are left on a cliffhanger that I presume Hornet's Nest picks up from.

Just bought, through the Amazon link -

Brothers and Sisters, series 3 (I know, I know, don't say anything!)

Six Feet Under, series 1 (never watched this, supposed to be excellent)

Telling Tales: A History of Literary Hoaxes, Melissa Katsoulis

Beginners, Raymond Carver

Oh, enjoy. I was hooked on my box sets when I got them.
I've never watched it at all MM, just about know that it's set in a funeral parlour and the guy from Dexter is in it. But everywhere I look, someone is raving about it, so I thought I'd give it a go. Plus, I have to balance out the Brothers & Sisters purchase or you'll all think I've gone soft in the head.

Just bought, through the Amazon link -

Brothers and Sisters, series 3 (I know, I know, don't say anything!)

Six Feet Under, series 1 (never watched this, supposed to be excellent)

Telling Tales: A History of Literary Hoaxes, Melissa Katsoulis

Beginners, Raymond Carver

Hazel, Six Feet Under is my fave telly programme of all time. Love it. Haven't seen them all, and have the boxed set of series one myself waiting to be watched. Am kinda scared that if I start watching them I won't read again for months.

I just ordered from amazon..

"Year of wonders" by Geraldine brooks

"the book theif" by markus zusak

I was very restrained as I have about 13 other books on the wishlist. ;)

I have no time to read and 50 ish unread books so...why I have no idea. But I just thought a book delivery would make me happy!. I am really over excited about "year of wonders" as I absolutely adored "March" it was one of the best things I have ever had the privilege to read. And I am morbidly fascinated by plague. So I may sneak reading it into moments where I am awake but not switched on enough to study.

My copy of "Jamie's america" and "I know how to cook" (I am a recipe book fiend also) arrived yesterday but they are Christmas pressies from my hubby so I am not allowed to look. :mad:

I am really over excited about "year of wonders" as I absolutely adored "March" it was one of the best things I have ever had the privilege to read. And I am morbidly fascinated by plague. So I may sneak reading it into moments where I am awake but not switched on enough to study.

Oh, I enjoyed that, though not as much as March. It certainly gave me a good insight into the plague - useful as swine flu descends!

"the book theif" by markus zusak

I was very restrained as I have about 13 other books on the wishlist. ;)

I have no time to read and 50 ish unread books so...why I have no idea. But I just thought a book delivery would make me happy!. I am really over excited about "year of wonders" as I absolutely adored "March" it was one of the best things I have ever had the privilege to read. And I am morbidly fascinated by plague. So I may sneak reading it into moments where I am awake but not switched on enough to study.

My copy of "Jamie's america" and "I know how to cook" (I am a recipe book fiend also) arrived yesterday but they are Christmas pressies from my hubby so I am not allowed to look. :mad:

The Book Thief is very good, I hope you enjoy it.