I just bought/borrowed/received...

Grammath

The other half of my Amazon order has just arrived. It includes:

"The Fire Gospel" by Michel Faber

"20 Fragments of a Ravenous Youth" by Xiaolu Guo

"The Psychedelic Experience" by Timothy Leary (Penguin Modern Classic)

"The Kabbalistic Tradition" edited by Alan Unterman

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Psychedelic Experience" by Timothy Leary (Penguin Modern Classic)
Jeez, remember to wear sunglasses with that one.

I bougth Bad Vibes: Britpop And My Part In Its Downfall by Luke Haines today.

Oh, and Homage To Czerny by Gert Jonke and Savoy Hotel by Joseth Roth yesterday.

I have so many books to list from Xmas, and the subsequent voucher I received. It seems people know I like reading. :D

Watchmen (Graphic Novel) - Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons

Life After God - Douglas Coupland

All Families Are Psychotic - Douglas Coupland

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut

Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut

A Fire in the North: Annals of Lindormyn 2 - David Bilsborough

The Naked God (Night's Dawn Trilogy Pt 3) - Peter F. Hamilton

Friday Night Lights - H.G. Bissinger

The Damned United - David Peace

Stealing the Wave: The Epic Struggle Between Ken Bradshaw and Mark Foo - Andy Martin

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson

I think that's it. A lot to look forward to this year. Especially the sports books, which has become a new genre for me.

EDIT: Got home and found other new books that I had forgotten about, that's quite bad isn't it.

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro

The Testament Of Gideon Mack - James Robertson

A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

I'm almost sure that's all of them. ;)

I haven't bought books for aaaagggees, so I thought when I got my cash in January, I would probably wipe out my Amazon wishlist in a delicious frenzy. But following a hideous cold which left me confined to the sofa, I exhausted my DVD collection to keep myself entertained. And so, when I next went to Amazon I found myself filling up my basket with new DVDs to watch. And a couple of books.

Outnumbered (series 1)

Gavin & Stacey (series 2)

The Complete Royle Family

The Shield (series 1)

The Complete Eerie Indiana (does anyone else remember this excellent kids' show - kind of like the X-Files?)

and the books,

Audition, Ryu Murakami

He Died With His Eyes Open, Derek Raymond

The Heroines, Eileen Favorite

I am dancing with joy! I found these books near the back entry doors of my local library. I asked if I could take some books from a very large pile (or piles) and to my utter surprise I discovered some true gems. These are the books I took with me:

Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre by Emily Bronte (2 volume collectors box set): very good condition.

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman (one volume collectors box): fair condition; and beautifully illustrated throughout.

The Bridal Wreath, The Mistress of Husaby, and The Cross by Sigrid Undset (3 volume collectors box set): very good condition.

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (volumes 1 & 2): fair condition.

Cass Timberlane by Sinclair Lewis: very good condition.

Franny and Zooney by J.D. Salinger: good condition.

Pavillion of Woman, and Mandala by Pearl S. Buck: very good condition.

All of the above books are first editions. Incredible!

I also borrowed these from the library this afternoon:

Field Guide to the Birds of North America a National Geographic edition: This is for research I am doing for a short story. The protagonist is an avid bird enthusiast.

Rosa Parks by Douglas Brinkley, and Rosa Parks: My Story by Rosa Parks: This is for research on another short story I am now outlining.

I am dancing with joy! I found these books near the back entry doors of my local library. I asked if I could take some books from a very large pile (or piles) and to my utter surprise I discovered some true gems. These are the books I took with me:

But isn't it distressing, aquablue, that they are getting rid of these wonderful books? They will no longer be available for the public to access and discover :mad:

I always have such conflicting emotions when I pick up old gems for 10p. Rage that they are thoughtlessly tossing out our literary heritage, thrills that I can have them at home with me forever.

What I figure is that they were owned by someone who had just died and that the family members had to get rid of them. That's what I think. I will take good care of them and enjoy them for years to come.

Oh, good. I thought they were discarded library books. They get rid of loads at my local library, to make way for four copies of the latest celebrity 'autobiography'. I know you'll cherish your new books, ab.

hey, ya i just bought a book called revelation, has any one read it? and if so what do you think about it?

Are you referring to C J Sansom's book? If so, there's a discussion about it under the crime section, novelists and books. I've read it and enjoyed it a lot, especially the carefully researched London background.