Grammath

I just bought/borrowed/received...

When They Lay Bare by Andrew Grieg

Electric Brae by Andrew Greig

Oh, I love Andrew Greig! No-one else on here seems to mention him, so it will be good if he gets another fan.

Oh, I love Andrew Greig! No-one else on here seems to mention him, so it will be good if he gets another fan.

Never tried him before but the subliminal pushing by my local Borders to buy Electric Brae finally pushed me in his direction.

Went to the library this afternoon and came home with:

Great Expectations - Dickens

The Awakening - Kate Chopin

A Long, Long Way - Sebastian Barry

The Ladies of Grace Adieu - Susanna Clarke

Girl with a Pearl Earing - Tracey Chevallier

Quite an eclectic mix, I think.

That's the way to be! Do you think if a TV programme swooped on our bookshelves and music collection they could catgorise the person they belonged to? (other than that they liked reading and listening to music). They'd have a fine old job with me: and you too?

Girl with a Pearl Earing - Tracey Chevallier

It certainly is. I loved Girl with a Pearl Earring. There is a thread here started by Cathy. Let us know what you think about it.

I went to Borders today to get Higher English past papers, and ended up adding Restoration by Rose Tremain, On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan, and The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham.

I went to Borders today to get Higher English past papers, and ended up adding Restoration by Rose Tremain,
Ooh, H, I loved that strange and gentle book.

That's the way to be! Do you think if a TV programme swooped on our bookshelves and music collection they could catgorise the person they belonged to? (other than that they liked reading and listening to music). They'd have a fine old job with me: and you too?

Oh, definitely. I surprise myself with my taste sometimes! I am extremely awkward when it comes to books, CDs and DVDs, expecially music, I think. I usually have to actually tell people what to buy me as gifts, that way they can rest easy and I can too!

Momo, I certainly will let you know what I think of it.

The Awakening - Kate Chopin
Quite a collection there FirelightSpirit, but I would love to know what you think of Kate Chopin's book when you have read it. It's one of my favourites, which is why I susggested it for this month's read.

Quite a collection there FirelightSpirit, but I would love to know what you think of Kate Chopin's book when you have read it. It's one of my favourites, which is why I susggested it for this month's read.

I'll definitely post on it when I've read it.

Too many books!

The Book People were selling in the foyer of the building I work in last week, and I bought a boxed set of Lemony Snickett books - 10 hardbacks for £10. I've only ever read one of Lemony's books before, but found it sufficiently interesting to go for the full set.

My experience with anyone doing a programme is that they have already made up their mind about you. So they will replace all your Jane Austen with Stephen King etc. and then ask you to stand in front of it in a certain way and read it. :rolleyes:

I bought a boxed set of Lemony Snickett books - 10 hardbacks for £10.

Bloody hell - that's a bargain. You only 3 more to buy now!

I do like the Book People but I have to be SO strong.I usually ignore the emails and throw away the catalogue if nothing catches my eye on first look. I just had the Dream Merchant, 2 x sets of detective novels (one a russian, one Sicilian) a book by the Dalai Lama, Poems on the Underground and one or 2 others for about £30. will post on some of these soon. Well it was the Easter Holidays. :(

I manage to throw The Book People's catalogues away without looking at them, but when I was working their rep used to leave a selection of books for us to browse through every couple of months.

Once I got them in my hands I was lost!!

Dream Merchant....will post on some of these soon. Well it was the Easter Holidays. :(

There is a thread on this one in the Fantasy Forum I think. There was some debate about whether it ought to be in the CYA Forum instead. Please tell us what you reckon!

I've had a bit of a mad book day, I recieved Gould's Book of Fish , Flanagan through the post from greenmetropolis.com, it looks so good I just want to read it straight away but I can't as I have 2 book group reads to get through first.

I also went to the library and came away with this selection:

The Stone Diaries, Carol Sheilds (for RGroup)

Flowers for Algernon, Daniel Keyes

Reading Lolita in Tehran, Azar Nafisi

Silas Marner, George Elliot

The Bookseller of Kabul, Asne Seierstad

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou

Most of these are for book challenges that I have signed myself up for :dunce: on blogspot, I'm hoping they will help me braodern my reading habits!

I read these two.

The Bookseller of Kabul, Asne Seierstad

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou

The Bookseller is alright but more fiction than fact which the author tries to imply. I loved the Caged Birds.

I recieved Gould's Book of Fish , Flanagan through the post from greenmetropolis.com, i

I recently bought this too and it does look really good.

I had a quick trip out to get the boys new trainers and popped into Borders. Walked out with:

In The Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami

Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli

(and 8 new bookmarks - couldn't resist the new selections).

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to go to a book shop that sells English novels, so I came away with:

A History of the World in 10 ½ Chapters - Julian Barnes

The Religion - Tim Willocks

I just got an Amazon delivery with the Mark Twain book Following The Equator, the one which was mentioned in the Brad Newsham book, Take Me with You.

It's a substantial tome - one for the summer TBR pile.

The Religion - Tim Willocks

I'd be interested to hear what you make of that, Momo. I picked it up and put it down again when I was last in a bookshop. I read and enjoyed Willocks' debut, "Green River Rising", a superior thriller about a prison break, a few years back, but this sounded very different.

Speaking of said bookshop visit, I did buy:

"Tescopoly" by Andrew Simms - unsurprisingly, this is immediately going near the top of the TBR mountain. I love reading bad things about my beloved employer!

"The Interpretation of Murder" by Jed Rubenfield - yeah, I know its an R&J book, but it sounds my sort of thing.

"The Sound of No Hands Clapping" by Toby Young - his debut, "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People", made me laugh from title onwards.

"Dr. Bloodmoney" by Philip K. Dick - an addition to my collection of the work of history's greatest sci-fi writer, recently reissued.

I read and enjoyed Willocks' debut, "Green River Rising", a superior thriller about a prison break, a few years back, but this sounded very different.

I had a look at this on Amazon, and it does look very promising, so I have added to to my wishlist.

"Tescopoly" by Andrew Simms - unsurprisingly, this is immediately going near the top of the TBR mountain. I love reading bad things about my beloved employer!

Sounds like a sackable offence!!