Top Posters In This Topic

Dorothy Parker: What Fresh Hell is This? by Marion Meade

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier

The Go-Between by L.P. Hartley

Unrecounted by W.G. Sebald and Jan Peter Tripp

Selected Letters by Virginia Woolf

The Mortgaged Heart by Carson McCullers

And I still had change from my £20 note, a very good day. :)

I absolutely loathed this book. Rambling, turgid, tedious - just a few of the negative adjectives I applied to it when I read it, four years ago.

Haha, I have a feeing that you are in the majority, out of the 16 people in my literature class I was the only person who didn't loathe Sebald. I'm going to have to read it again and think more carefully about why I loved it so much. Another of his, Rings of Saturn is my fail safe answer to the "what's your favourite book?" question!

The Journal Of Dora Damage Belinda Starling

Le Morte Darthur Sir Thomas Malory

The Horned Man James Lasdun

Innocence Penelope Fitzgerald

The Discovery Of France Graham Robb

All bought new from Blackwell's yesterday in a moment of madness. Well, I did get three for two.

I have come to recognise the frisson of excitement when my thoughts go from 'I could buy these books' to 'I'm going to buy these books and nothing is going to stop me'.

Bad, bad BGO. I rarely strayed from libraries before ;)

[

I have come to recognise the frisson of excitement when my thoughts go from 'I could buy these books' to 'I'm going to buy these books and nothing is going to stop me'.

:yup:

For me, it's always best when I went in saying, I'm only in for a look, I'm not buying anything today ...

We don't have Blackwells up here, but I was in one during the summer. I love their book-themed paraphenalia, like the bags, folders etc, with great books quotes on them!

Strictly for this website's benefit, of course, I have just received the following from Amazon in exchange for some money:

"Miracles of Life" by J. G. Ballard

"Tokyo Year Zero" by David Peace

"Exit Ghost" by Philip Roth

"Hothouse" by Brian Aldiss (Penguin Modern Classics)

"The Essential Groucho" edited by Stefan Kanter (Penguin Modern Classics)

"The Book of Other People" edited by Zadie Smith

"Batting on the Bosphorus" by Angus Bell

Three more RiSi swaps:-

A Morbid Taste For Bones - Ellis Peters (as the most suitable reading for my holiday at St Winifred's Well later this month.

New Selected Poems 1957-1994 - Ted Hughes (for my U3A literature course, but not until the Easter term)

The Affair Of The Bloodstained Egg Cosy - James Anderson (because of the BGO thread :))

Those who heard Stephen Fry on Radio4 this morning will know what to call that little bit of punctuation at the end of the first line of this post;)

I have just visited Amazon and bought:

Marabou Stork Nightmares (Irvine Welsh)

Adrian Mole And the weapons Of Mass Destruction (Sue Townsend)

The Bedroom Secrets Of The Masterchefs (Irvine Welsh)

The first real book i ever read was The Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole and i have followed his life ever since, however this chapter in his life somehow escaped me and i cant wait to read it. I have already read Marabou Stork Nightmares but not Bedroom Secrets. Irvine Welsh and Sue Townsend are amongst my favourite authors so no doubt when they arrive i wont be leaving the house for a week.

Not the most natural of pairings, it has to be said! ;)

Haha no they are not, infact when asked what and who i generally read the range is so wide and diverse that people often throw me a confused look. I read evrything from Dickens to Oscar Wilde, from Peter Robinson to the Brontes. In-fact anybody or anything which happens to take my fancy, this in my oppinion is the best way to be as i dont have limitations or boundarys concerning what is acceptible. Of course like anybody else i have my favourites, its just that they are well........ Oddly matched.

:)

Just back from town, I went in to buy my eldest a karate outfit - quite an experience popping into the Savoy Centre (Glaswegians will understand), and I popped over to Waterstones to pick up the Quarterly for a wee browse, and came back out with that and Boy by James Hanley.

In Borders in Dundee today, I gave in to:

The knife that killed me by Anthony McGowan (because the author is coming to my school soon and I will get to meet him, so I thought I should have read one of his books!)

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh (because I really should read it)

The Slaves of Solitude by Patrick Hamilton

West Coast by Kate Muir (about to start this one.)

... came back out with Boy by James Hanley.
Hazel, I have just read Boy. Let us know what you think of this classic when you finally get around to reading it. For me, I'm glad I bothered but it is hard going and it helps to remember it was written in three weeks. Great on social commentary, less good on structure, consistency, chronology.

Popped into my local library this weekend and had the good fortune to catch a book sale. Grabbed:

Smoke and Mirrors - Neil Gaiman (collection of short stories), this will be the first prose of his that I have tried, hopefully it will inspire me to try his novels.

Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell, haven't read this since I was at school.

Area 7 - Matthew Reilly, hopefully another sit back and zone out thriller.

All for the princely sum of 80p!

Hazel, I have just read Boy. Let us know what you think of this classic when you finally get around to reading it. For me, I'm glad I bothered but it is hard going and it helps to remember it was written in three weeks. Great on social commentary, less good on structure, consistency, chronology.
Will do BP - it does look interesting - it was the cover that sang to me!