I just bought/borrowed/received...

Is the latter a play? I've heard the play's bad.

It is a play - I read a few so-so reviews of it recently, and am always up for some interesting plays.

My sis likes the former! :)
I said "don't say a blooming word!" Now, my street cred has vamooshed. I am not even going to explain, justify or apologise. ;)

(Your sis has great taste!)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Postman just delivered:

Running for The Hills by Horatio Clare - the July read from my postal bookgroup,

and

The Kindness Of Strangers by Kate Adie - a RiSi swap.

I just sent an order off to Amazon for a birthday present for my son, and added a couple of little things for me, to get the free delivery ;)

Yesterday I bought Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, I've never read anything by her so I'm looking forward to that (she's on the Southbank show this Sunday, in case anyone is interested) and A Far Cry from Kensington by Muriel Spark, another author about whom I've heard good things but never read.

Yesterday I bought Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, I've never read anything by her so I'm looking forward to that
That's a great read Ophelia, especially if you like your 19th C doorsteps. While I loved this Waters, I much preferred Affinity, so at least if you enjoy FS, you'll know there's more treats to come.
That's a great read Ophelia, especially if you like your 19th C doorsteps. While I loved this Waters, I much preferred Affinity, so at least if you enjoy FS, you'll know there's more treats to come.
I also enjoyed Fingersmith - Affinity is on my TBR, and has just been bumped upwards! Thank you

Zebra

There's nothing I like more than a good 19th century doorstep, really looking to it now! Is The Night Watch any good?

Is The Night Watch any good?
Argh, no, I didn't like it. But then, to be fair, I like 19thC style and set stories, so Waters' earlier books were right up my street. TNW was just not for me at all, and it was a pity because all her previous books were instant hits with me. But I can't really complain - I can't make her stick to 19thC style books just for little ol' me.

You can find the BGO thread for TNW here -

http://www.bookgrouponline.com/forum/showthread.html?t=2842

Took at trip to the fête in the neighbouring village, where they had a well stocked bookstall selling three paperbacks for £1.00. How could I resist?

Came away with:

Far From The Madding Crowd - Hardy

Double Fault - Lionel Shriver

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

I is for Innocent - Sue Grafton

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke

little face - Sophie Hannah

Two were actually on my Wishlist, and two bought because I remembered longish threads on them here - although I can't remember if the overall conclusion was good or bad. :P

I also bought yet another cookbook :rolleyes:

I wandered around the West End yesterday afternoon but amazingly came away with only one book, "The Human Stain" by Philip Roth, from Foyles.
It's not my favourite Roth, G, but I'll be interested in finding out your opinion.

I've just borrowed "Zuckerman Bound" and will be refreshing my memory by dipping into "The Ghost Writer" before starting the other two volumes. I was almost tempted, after reading SlowRain's lukewarm review of "American Pastoral", to reread that, so I could reply with a devastating three page rebuttal in praise of that marvellous book. I didn't though. The yet-to-be-read won over the terrific-but-already-read.

Trip round Tesco this morning, and I was suckered into buying 2 R&J summer reads - The Resurrectionist and No Time for Goodbye.

ETA - I also bought Jane Smiley's A Thousand Acres yesterday as it is reported to be a 'remarkable, imaginitive reworking' of King Lear.

after reading SlowRain's lukewarm review of "American Pastoral"

I didn't intend my review to be lukewarm, and I'm sorry if it was misinterpreted as such. I even went so far as to say it was a good novel so that there would be no confusion.

I didn't intend my review to be lukewarm, and I'm sorry if it was misinterpreted as such. I even went so far as to say it was a good novel so that there would be no confusion.
Sorry, SlowRain, you are quite right. You did say you would recommend the book, and that you enjoyed it.

It was, I think, your comment that Roth's use of language was not beautiful that hit a nerve, as it is in that book that his power with language seems most evident to me. I also remember feeling strongly that he had meshed the personal stories of the characters with the times they lived through in a most extraordinary way, though it could be you are also right that history won out over characterisation. I think maybe it resonates with me because the history he chronicles with such skill was more or less the time I myself was growing up.

It felt a bit like someone saying your baby is ok but they prefer one of your other children to this one! ;)

It was, I think, your comment that Roth's use of language was not beautiful that hit a nerve

I also feel the same way about The Human Stain, one of my favorite novels: brilliant ideas, great characterization, extremely detailed, but just not beautiful language.

All recent purchases:

• The Lay Of The Land, Richard Ford
  • Girl Meets Boy, Ali Smith
  • Trauma, Patrick McGrath
  • A Case Of Exploding Mangoes, Mohammed Hanif
  • Roadside Picnic, Arkady & Boris Strugatsky
  • The Diving Pool, Yoko Ogawa
  • Laura, Journey Into The Crystal, George Sand
  • Anthology Of Apparitions, Simon Liberati
  • When Rain Clouds Gather, Bessie Head
  • So Long A Letter, Mariama Bâ
  • Eucalyptus, Murray Bail
  • The Glass Bees, Ernst Jünger
  • An African In Greenland, Kpomassie Tété-Michel
  • Sunflower, Krúdy Gyula

Now to, er, read them.

Latest Amazon box had in it:

"A Bit of a Blur" by Alex James

"The Ministry of Special Cases" by Nathan Englander

"Tribe" by Bruce Parry

"The Stone G-ds" by Jeanette Winterson

I am just waiting for [The Diving Pool] to be delivered. Blooming Amazon Marketplace!
I quite like Amazon Marketplace, although some of the sellers take a while to pull their fingers out. The agreement makes mention of giving them a couple of days to get the thing sent out but then the feedback form asks if it arrived within a month. Hmmm. If buying online I tend to use the Book Depository these days, pretty much because of the free delivery worldwide thing...and because it means I don't need to join Amazon Prime to get free delivery on a single item.
If buying online I tend to use the Book Depository these days, pretty much because of the free delivery worldwide thing
The Book Depository comes up quite a lot for my Marketplace purchases, and I end up buying a lot from them, I hadn't contemplated buying from them direct - maybe I should.
The Book Depository comes up quite a lot for my Marketplace purchases, and I end up buying a lot from them, I hadn't contemplated buying from them direct - maybe I should.
Yeah, it works out a little cheaper buying direct because of Amazon's flat £2.75 postage charge.

Flight Fantastic: Illustrated History of Aerobatics (not for me :D )

It's Mr meg's birthday present, because it has embedded into it somewhere a mention of the World Aerobatics Competition 1936, which was held as an adjunct to the infamous Berlin Olympics.

Mr meg's father was in the British team (they didn't win, they didn't even get a mention in the results). It has been quite difficult to find anything about it online. This book is my best result so far, and is a 'used' copy from Amazon Marketplace.

(My Amazon 'Free Super Saver Delivery' order, made a few days earlier isn't scheduled to appear for another fortnight :rolleyes: )

I love the Book Depository, they're great for out of print stuff and the delivery is always pretty prompt. I'm going to start ordering from them direct I think.

I've never heard of this company but looking at their pricings, seems play.com are still a bit cheaper. Having said that I don't think Play offer worldwide delivery for free. Good to have an alternative incase Play don't have what I'm looking for though!