Grammath

I just bought/borrowed/received...

8. Desolation Island Patrick O'Brien

The best Aubrey/Maturin book I've read so far, it represents the entire series for me, it has the perfect mix of the things that makes O'Brien's books so wonderful.

Oh, and I've just bought a few new fantasy titles:

Before they are hanged - Joe Abercrombie (second in this first law series)

Vellum and Ink - Hal Duncan (first two titles of what I presume is a trilogy)

The TBR Pile is growing while I'm trying to fully digest Pandora's Star, about halfway through it's massive bulk and really enjoying it.

The book for April has arrived from my postal bookgroup. It it An Equal Music, which I will have to read before the BGO Victorian Novel (whichever it turns out to be).

I guess I'd better start reading Miss Pettigrew a bit faster. :(

I had a very non reading bf who read An Equal Music randomly and absolutely loved it, I never read it despite his pestering because he felt the need to tell me everything which was happening as he read it.

The book for April has arrived from my postal bookgroup. It it An Equal Music, ...
Meg, we have a thread about An Equal Music already, so, please, let us know what you and your bookgroup thought.

The Tenderness of Wolves arrived through the door this morning, not sure when I'll get around to reading it though, I really do have to stop buying books! :angry:

On Monday I was lucky enough to be able to spend the morning in Waterstones selecting and purchasing lots of new fiction books for work (I lead a hard life) and of course ended up purchasing for myself from the 'three for two' options. Got The Book of Dave by Will Self (I have wanted to read this for ages), The Good German by Joseph Kanon (I want to read it before I see the film) and Kublai Khan by John Man. Now I need the bank holiday weekend to come so I can curl up and read!

I really do have to stop buying books! :angry:

Do you think, if we were made write that a hundred times on a blackboard, we would get the message and stop? I doubt it somehow. I don't think writing it a hundred times a day for a hundred days would stop us. Wouldn't stop me anyway!

Do you think, if we were made write that a hundred times on a blackboard, we would get the message and stop? I doubt it somehow.
So do I. And to prove it, here's my list of the books I bought today in my favourite international book shop:

Burning Bright - Tracy Chevalier

The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins

The Secret River - Kate Grenville

Two Caravans - Marina Lewycka

In the Country of Men - Hisham Matar

Absurdistan - Garty Shteyngart

A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute

Plus a French and a couple of German books (after I bought another Dutch book the other day). Mind you, maybe I should have written that sentence a hundred times.

I really do have to stop buying books!

I was a really good girl and went to the library rather than the shops (gold star for me!), although the two books I wanted weren't there :grumble: but I picked up Gilead, a book I remember Meg (I think) raving about last year and a YA book called Milkweed by Spineli.

I've been naughty too! I'm staying at my parents' house for Easter, and there are several rather good second hand bookshops round here... so I have bought:

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

The Black Book - Orhan Pamuk

Where Angels Fear To Tread - EM Forster

Room With A View - EM Forster

Complete Short Stories of Kafka

The Impressionist - Hari Kunzru

Abinger Harvest - EM Forster

East of Eden - Steinbeck

and a Jamie Oliver cook book for £3!!

oops....

Went to Borders today and got:

Savage: the Life and Times of Jemmy Button (mentioned on the This Thing of Darkness thread)

Carry Me Down by MJ Hyland - I liked the start and the BGO comments

The Mitford Girls by Mary S Lovell - it just caught my attention

A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Pencil by Christopher Broomyre, for a bit of mindless entertainment after This Thing of Darkness!

There certainly does seem to be a bit of a flurry of book buying around here lately! Looks like some excellent choices though. Looking forward to reading your views.

Lady Lazarus, I thoroughly enjoyed East of Eden. Looking forward to reading what you think.

I will be visiting the library at some point this week as I've neglected it for about three weeks so I will be back to fill you in on what I get.

There certainly does seem to be a bit of a flurry of book buying around here lately!
Lately? :rolleyes: Where have you been since you joined BGO? ;)

Lately? :rolleyes: Where have you been since you joined BGO? ;)

Point taken! I think I meant that there are a few of us who've bought quite a bit very recently as opposed to just one or two books. I haven't been around all that long so I'm sure I haven't seen half the book buying frenzy that goes on! :)

That's alright. I was only joking. And you are right, there has been a lot of buying going on but this seems to be the rule rather than the exception. :rolleyes:

I have just bought 'The Ultimate Teen Book Guide' by Daniel Hahn & Leonie Flynn and, 'Pompeii: The Living City' by Alex Butterworth. Really itching to read the Pompeii one as I am saving up to visit next year, (somewhere I have always wanted to go). :)

Really itching to read the Pompeii one as I am saving up to visit next year, (somewhere I have always wanted to go). :)

You must go. I went in 2005 and it was fantastic. I would like to go again as I did`nt really have enough time to see all I wanted to see.

I was in a Banana Bookshop the other day and I picked up a copy of Jasper Fforde's The Big Over Easy. I like the Thursday Next books for a bit of fun, and it was only £1.99.

Found myself in a good secondhand shop today (oops! How did that happen?) and I got Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth. I've read a few books about slavery recently, so this fits the theme. But it also sounds quite seafaring in content, so I'll assign it to the back of the TBR so I don't get mixed up with This Thing of Darkness!

That's the one!

It's a great shop to go to just for a surprise. I bought 2 books there recently - Gould's Book of Fish and Hide and Seek hardbacks for £1.99. Hate the rest of the mall though, (apart from Gap), it's just too busy and too much of a teen hangout spot.

My partner has just moved into temporary digs in Rochester (he's a contractor). I went to visit him at the weekend and guess what......

It's the home of Baggins Bookshop - the largest secondhand bookshop in the country!!!

Don't know if the claim is true but it's huge - can't wait to try it out :D

Monthly Amazon shop resulted in me buying -

Victorian Fiction: Writers, Publishers, Readers by Sutherland, John

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Our Fathers by Andrew O'Hagan

When They Lay Bare by Andrew Grieg

Electric Brae by Andrew Greig

Appendix A: The Eng of Alice by A M Homes

and Extras - Series 2 on DVD, but that's far less interesting than books!