Grammath

I just bought/borrowed/received...

Thanks, Katrina.

I think I've got my reading sorted for this holiday, but I will go in the Works when we get back and if it is still there, I think I will succumb.....!

I have just ordered "An Absolute Scandal" by Penny Vincenzi from Amazon (via the BGO link). Not quite my usual reading material, but I was told "If you want to get me a Mothers Day present there's this book ...", so I've ordered it. Also ordered myself a copy of Transgressions by Sarah Dunant, as I'm enjoying my current read a lot, as I did Birth of Venus when I read that. Just to put the order value up so I could get free shipping of course, given the size of my TBR pile I'm trying to be good!

I just bought

Nerina Pallot Fires (not a book)

Iain M Banks The Algebraist

Iain M Banks Use of Weapons

Zadie Smith On Beauty

Ted Hughes Birthday Letters

Jane Juska A Round-Heeled Woman

All for £18 I thought that was pretty good. :D

I just bought

Nerina Pallot Fires (not a book)

Iain M Banks The Algebraist

Iain M Banks Use of Weapons

Zadie Smith On Beauty

Ted Hughes Birthday Letters

Jane Juska A Round-Heeled Woman

All for £18 I thought that was pretty good. :D

Really good. Charity shop?

There are a number of posts on The Other Boleyn Girl in the Tudor Times thread on the 'Historical and Romantic' forum.

That's great - I'll check that out. :cool:

I bought another 2 books this morning at the airport - sadly it wasn't me going away but my sister who is moving to Australia :(

I have bought The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (have seen the threads on this and couldn't resist buying it) and Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Just went shopping this morning and found that my Dutch newspaper/stationery shop has English books now. :scratchhe Oh, no! (although not many but still). Of course, couldn't resist and bought The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl. Looking at my TBR pile and the rate I am going through it at the moment, you can expect a comment to the book somewhere around 2012. innocent0009.gif

T Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Oh I bought that last Friday after a night-time run to Borders after the theatre.

Really good. Charity shop?

No a shop called FOPP. Loads of CDs DVDs and a few bookshelves. some things very expensive...lots of books I rejected at £5 or £6 although this was still less than RRP. Paid £3 for the Zadie Smith in a large paperback. smaller version next to it priced at £6.

I bought Half of a Yellow Sun last week but am struggling with it.

I love Fopp there's one in Cambridge, but it is SO dangerous cheap almost cult books and cheap cds, I always give myself a strict limit when I go in, a shop that takes about 2 hours to browse through. The only annoying thing about the place is the see-through carrier bags not great when xmas shopping!

Oh do start a thread and let us know why - I am really looking forward to reading it.

I bought my daughter a couple of books for Easter, and because Waterstones had a 3 for 2 I just HAD to get myself one as well... I got The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney.

I am reading this too however I am finding it a great read....in what way are you struggling Elfstar?

I can't claim to have been 'ambushed' into buying books this morning, as I went into town intending to visit the Sense Book/music shop. I had seen a copy of The Moonstone there a couple of weeks ago, and as it is one of the nominated Victorian books, and I haven't read it, it seemed a good idea to see if it was still on the shelf.

It was, and as it only cost £1.00, I bought it.

I also bought what I thought was another book of poems by Carol Ann Duffy, but it turns out to be an anthology edited by CAD. It remains to be seen whether or not it's worth the other quid I spent there!

I recently had a spending spree on Amazon and have bought:

1. Salmon Fishing in the Yemen Paul Torday

2. On Chesil Beach Ian McEwan

3. Ascent Jed Mercurio

4. The Tenderness of Wolves Steff Meney

5. How to Breath Underwater by Julie Orringer

6. Emergency Sex and Other Desperate Measures Andrew Thomson (sorry to disappoint but it's got nothing to do about sex)

7. Empire of the Sun by J G Bollard

8. Desolation Island Patrick O'Brien

9. Small Island by Andrea Levy (Monther's Day Present for my Mum !)

10. The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy

11. The Odessa File Frederick Forsyth (for the beach)

12. HMS Ulysses Alistair MacLean (another one for the beach or even the bath)

Phoebus

The only book on my TBR pile is Small Island and I have seen the movie Empire of the Sun but apart from that I haven't read a single one. Let us know how they are, Phoebus.

Phoebus, I've read nos. 2, 7 & 9. What excellent books they are.

PS And, oh yes, I've just read a glowing report on the Orringer book in the collected book reviews of Nick Hornby printed originally in a U.S. monthly magazine.

How one thing leads to another!

Got lured by some new selections in the 3 for 2 in Waterstone's today.

The Secret River - Kate Grenville

The Emperor's Children - Claire Messud

Poppy Shakespeare - Clare Allan

They all look great, can't wait to get started.

A little trip out to Borders with my sister yesterday and I left with The Secret River by Kate Grenville and Poppy Shakespeare by Clare Allan. And a Borders book bag as they are now £1.00! Get them while you can folks before Borders disappears.