The Book of Evidence - John Banville

Wish Her Safe at Home - Stephen Benatar

Death and Nightingales - Eugene McCabe

The Fiend in Human - John MacLachlan Gray

Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury

The Cone Gatherers: A Haunting Story of Violence and Love - Robin Jenkins

The Delivery Room - Sylvia Brownrigg

The Diary of a Rapist - Evan S. Connell

I don't know why I am bothering as come January, I'll have to get stuck into my Shakespeare reading list for uni. :rolleyes:

The Diary of a Rapist - Evan S. Connell

Interesting choice. I bought that about a month back but haven't got round to it yet. Saying that, there's books I bought years ago I haven't got round to yet.

Anyway, couldn't walk past Borders yesterday without spending an hour browsing and coming away with Letting Go by Philip Roth.

I keep meaning to try Philip Roth but I am always daunted by all the books on the shelves with the tall thin titles and don't know where to begin.

I didn't quite know where to begin either. I have a few Roth's (The Plot Against America, American Pastoral, and Everyman) and have only read Everyman. But the way I see it, where better to start with Roth than with Letting Go, his first novel, written at the age of twenty-nine.

The Diary of a Rapist though sounds a bit :scared:

There's a review here.

Happened to pass by the British Museum at the weekend, which has several decent 2nd hand shops nearby (Quinto, an Oxfam bookshop, skoob). Came away with:

"News of a Kidnapping" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

"Let It Come Down" by Paul Bowles

"The Tax Inspector" by Peter Carey

Interesting choice. I bought that about a month back but haven't got round to it yet.

It was kind of forced on me by Amazon's 'If you like this then you will like this' - I hate that function, it practically mugs me in the street, empties out my wallet, then kicks me on the ass to send me on my way.

I keep meaning to try Philip Roth but I am always daunted by all the books on the shelves with the tall thin titles and don't know where to begin.

http://www.bookgrouponline.com/forum/showthread.html?t=3686&highlight=Philip+roth

There was bit of a discussion about Roth here, whatnot

Are you any relation to Phoebus??

I've often wondered about that - rare name to pop up twice, but then there are a few of us BGOers that are familial relations, so it's not completely out there. In fact, maybe some of us are more than one identity! BGO is actually just 3 people with myriad 'handles'.

Thanks Stewart & Brightphoebus. Are you any relation to Phoebus??
Oh, no. I chose my name before I noticed Phoebus was a member of BGO and feel a little embarrassed as a result :o. It comes from the words of a song. Actually, I am thinking of changing my name and may do it before the end of 2008, who knows? At present I am poleaxed from work and cannot contemplate such a major life change.

Strange forces sucked me into Waterstones yesterday whilst I was Christmas shopping and I ended up buying:

• The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox - Maggie O'Farrell
  • Grumpy Old Men (a present for my stepdad)
  • Dissolution - C J Sansom
  • A Friend Like Henry - Nuala Gardner

Splendid book, much underrated writer. Enjoy!
Good, good. Got it for £3 in Fopp, which was the clincher.

Anyway, today's haul:

House Of Meetings
, Martin Amis

The Grass Is Singing
, Doris Lessing

Timbuktu
, Paul Auster

Herzog
, Saul Bellow

Wings
, Mikhail Kuzmin

Midaq Alley