With the following put on reserve at the library:

• The Gathering, Anne Enright
  • On Chesil Beach, Ian McEwan
  • Gifted, Nikita Lalwani

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Flingo: From the lovely people at Penguin - Slam by Nick Hornby (his new book for teenagers)

I have just received this as well, looks really good at a glance. Looking forward to comparing notes Flingo!

Ordered a copy of 'I am the Messenger' by Markus Zusak as well, really looking forward to that!

From a charity shop - An Uncorrected Advance Proof of How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff.

Interesting...I've been wondering if charity shops sell proof recently as I have a lot that I would like to get rid of. I'm finding it rather hard work bookcrossing them all, so maybe a charity shop will be the answer!

I did resist Jasper Fforde's Well Of Lost Plots

shakehead.gif Oh, Meg, I'm disappointed.

yesterday

Ian McEwen - On chesil beach

Donal Ruane - WLTM (a comedy. ruane is a mimbo. he did ho0wever write an amusing collumn in a current affairs magazine for some time)

Colum McCann - Zoli

Philip Roth - The Great American Novel

i had 50euro vouchers left over from christmas bonus so i finished using them yesterday :)

Originally Posted by Momo

Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi

Momo, is this in a graphic format? I'm sure I've heard about this book and what I heard was complimentary: I've never bought anything in that sort of format before but might dip my toe in for this.
Didn't know what you meant since this is just an ordinary paperback. But others have given the explanation already.
Originally Posted by Radders

The Far Side Gallery - Gary Larson...

For that child inside

Not for children, Radders. Larson is far and away my favourite cartoonist and his day-by-day calendar is in my bedroom. I also have all the Gallery books. I'm still having counselling that he's packed it in...
Depends on the children. Mine really like him, too. Especially my seventeen-year-old. But - he has loved him for years.
Ooh just had a spend on Amazon (through the BGO link, of course!)... bought A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry ...
One of my favourites. Have fun!

Went to the library with my children last week and couldn't resist to borrow:

City of Oranges - Adam LeBor

The Gravedigger’s Daughter - Joyce Carol Oates

My husband couldn't believe it. He said there's a couple of hundred books on my TBR pile at home and I go and borrow more. Well, couldn't believe it myself either. :banghead:

In town yesterday to buy eldest's school stuff, I wandered into Waterstones as you do, and came out with Alexander Trocchi's Young Adam, and The Cement Garden by Ian McEwan.

Has anyone else thought this? When I am in a bookshop now in Glasgow. any one, and I am looking at a book or reaching for one, if there is a person next to me I start to wonder if they are one of the Scottish contingent of BGO. And I think, wouldn't it be nice if we had some sort of badge to recognise each other? I am going mad, clearly.

Has anyone else thought this? When I am in a bookshop now in Glasgow. any one, and I am looking at a book or reaching for one, if there is a person next to me I start to wonder if they are one of the Scottish contingent of BGO. And I think, wouldn't it be nice if we had some sort of badge to recognise each other? I am going mad, clearly.

No, Hazel, you're not going mad. This thought regularly crosses my mind when I'm in Borders at the Fort!

In my efforts to ensure I exceeded the luggage limit on the way home, I bought the following last week in the US:

From The Strand, NYC:

- "The Russian Debutante's Handbook" by Gary Shteyngart

- "Absurdistan" by Gary Shteyngart

- "Libra" by Don DeLillo

- "The Crack in Space" by Philip K Dick (never published in the UK to my knowledge)

- "Men and Cartoons" by Jonathan Lethem (short stories)

- "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" by Jack Finney (a favourite film which I'd no idea was based on a novel)

- "Collected Novellas" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (contains "Leaf Storm", "No One Writes to the Colonel" and "Chronicle of a Death Foretold", all published seperately in the UK)

- "For the Relief of Unbearable Urges" by Nathan Englander (short stories)

From Springfield, MA CostCo's discount book table:

- "The Ruins" by Scott Smith (only $4.49!)

From my host's bookshelves:

- "Cakes and Ale" by W. Somerset Maugham

- "Call It Sleep" by Henry Roth

From the Coop, Harvard's bookstore

- "Collected Stories" by Graham Greene (such a volume does not exist in the UK)

From the Boston Museum of Fine Arts gift shop

- "69" by Ryu Murakami (never published in the UK)

From the Booksmith, Brookline, MA

- "Not the End of the World" by Kate Atkinson

I did do other stuff apart from shop for books, honest!!

No, Hazel, you're not going mad. This thought regularly crosses my mind when I'm in Borders at the Fort!

Well, as that is my local MM, I will have to think of something to distinguish me. Possibly the husband following me around with empty wallet will be a giveaway?

You'll be ok if you bring your boys - as long as the older one uses that winning smile!

I forgot about them! They are pretty much a dead giveaway. The older one is actually the one in the back, he is 6, and the smiler is only 2.

Has anyone else thought this? When I am in a bookshop now in Glasgow. any one, and I am looking at a book or reaching for one, if there is a person next to me I start to wonder if they are one of the Scottish contingent of BGO.

You can recognise me from my last.fm profile. I'm the one working my way from A to Z in Borders or Waterstones.

You can recognise me from my last.fm profile. I'm the one working my way from A to Z in Borders or Waterstones.

Unless you are wearing your specs Stew, I wouldn't recognise you!

Ok, I'll make a bold stab - In Borders at the Fort, I always browse Z to A, then have a look at the children's section (Stew - I know you are never there!). I usually have my 2 boys with me and a burgandy across-body handbag. The chances of catching me in a town bookshop are slim. So, if you spot me at the Fort feel free to say hello - I may scowl but that's my normal demeanor!

Nice job on the badge Adrian!

Unless you are wearing your specs Stew, I wouldn't recognise you! ...Ok, I'll make a bold stab

You'd best lose the specs then, Stewart!

Nice job on the badge Adrian!

Indeed. Although I worry that Hazel will simply be pestered by shoppers assuming she's a Borders (Glasgow) Operative.

I was out in UCD yesterday (my first time on campus in six years!) buying some of my course books. I got:

Gender - Claire Colebrook

An Introduction to Queer Theory - Nikki Sullivan

Sophocles' Electra - new version by Frank McGuinness

Euripides' Hecuba - new version by Frank McGuinness

Racine's Phaedra - new version by Frank McGuinness

Antigone's Claim - Judith Butler

The MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers - Jospeh Gibaldi.

I had to order the rest, which will take about two weeks to come in, bt I've plenty to be going on with!

Borrowed a bunch from the local library yesterday

The Clearing by Tim Gautraux

A Bride most Begrudging by Deeanne Gist

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Adichie

Eve Green by Susan Fletcher

Hide & Seek by Clare Sambrook

Small Island by Andrea Levy

I hope they will not disappoint me... :)