I just bought/borrowed/received...

Just bought two books that looked interesting (well, I read number one of Stephen Clarke's novel which I thought quite funny).

Lands Beyond the Sea - Tamara McKinley

Merde happens - Stephen Clarke

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought 6 books yesterday :o:o (well, there was a 3 for 2 on all books at WHSmith, so what can you do)?!

I bought:

The House at Riverton - Kate Morton

Just got a copy of this too. Thought it looked v interesting. But did you notice that there isn't one review quoted anywhere on the jacket or opening page? I'm trying not to let this affect where I place the book in my TBR pile, but it seems almost unheard of for a book prominently placed in a Borders promotion, much less one of Richard And Judy's summer reads. You would have thought there'd at least be an '"Intriguing" - Melbourne Advertiser' somewhere on the inner jacket.

Just got a copy of this too. Thought it looked v interesting. But did you notice that there isn't one review quoted anywhere on the jacket or opening page? I'm trying not to let this affect where I place the book in my TBR pile, but it seems almost unheard of for a book prominently placed in a Borders promotion, much less one of Richard And Judy's summer reads. You would have thought there'd at least be an '"Intriguing" - Melbourne Advertiser' somewhere on the inner jacket.
Perhaps they were just clearing their old stock before bringing out the edition with "Richard & Judy Summer Read" emblazoned across the front, and all those 'puffs' on the back. Lucky you, I say!

Hmmm...I hadn't noticed that, but it is very odd.

Maybe they rushed through the print run once R&J bestowed their gracious blessing and didn't have time to get reviewer's comments in. There doesn't seem to be a hardback on Amazon. It's teetering on the edge of my Amazon shopping basket. Once the credit card has ticked over, I'm going to do a Big Shop.

I wanted to go to the borders today, but it's out of town, by the airport, which was closed yesterday while they removed a suspicious vehicle, so I thought better of it.

So I went to the waterstones in town, which wasn't quite as fun. Didn't stop me spending though! I bought:

Of Love and other demons- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Sputnik Sweetheart- Murakami

Selected Short stories- Balzac

That makes my TBR pile 4. I thought it was bad that I'd have that many books that I hadn't read, but judging by others on here I obviously show a lot of restraint!

That makes my TBR pile 4. I thought it was bad that I'd have that many books that I hadn't read, but judging by others on here I obviously show a lot of restraint!

I think you've got plenty of scope for more purchasing there, Rosiebunny!

I've been busy having a clear-out on ReaditSwapit lately, Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd came last week, The 5 People you Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom came today, and I'm waiting for The Virgin in The Garden by A.S. Byatt still to come.

The 5 People....is a great book :)

I had a bit of a book buying binge at the weekend (which is not that uncommon)

I bought:

Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons (been meaning to get for ages)

The Time Machine - H G Wells (great movie - time I read the book)

Beyond Words - John Humphreys (love books about language and the use of words)

Grave Doubts - Elizabeth Corley

The Savage Garden - Mark Mills

The Complete Polysyllabic Spree - Nick Hornby

A Spot Of Bother - Mark Haddon

My haul this weekend:

"One Good Turn" by Kate Atkinson

"The Fourth Bear" by Jasper Fforde

"Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman" by Haruki Murakami

"The Apple" by Michel Faber

"Heat" by George Monbiot

"The Illuminatus! Trilogy" by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson

"So Many Ways to Begin" by Jon McGregor

The reason for the final purchase is this - I want to get involved because I want to see how its going to work on a festival scale.

The reason for the final purchase is this - I want to get involved because I want to see how its going to work on a festival scale.
I wish I'd known about that before we had made arrangements for that weekend :mad: .

I hope they do it again next year, it would make a good weekend break. My husband could leave me there while he went off to look at the sea and boats ;)

It does look like a civilised sort of festival. I don't know if anyone read Charlie Brooker's account of his Guardian-sponsored trip to Glasto. He starts off echoing my sentiments (people! more people! mud! camping! no!) and gets converted, or thereabouts. Maybe I should dabble... But not this year. :rolleyes:

But I digress, I have treated myself to a monster order on Amazon:

The House at Riverton - Kate Morton

Imperium - Robert Harris

One Good Turn - Kate Atkinson

Weekend - William McIlvanney

Sacred Games - Vikram Chandra

The Lay of the Land - Richard Ford

The Meaning of Night - Michael Cox

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - Paul Torday

Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance - Atul Gawande

A Change Of Regime - J.N. Stroyar

I can't wait until the order arrives!

My visit to Southwold in Suffolk Yielded.

Three men in a boat Jerome K Jerome.

The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker (A new author for me)

The Wings of the Dove Henry James.

The Sea The Sea Iris Murdoch and Portrait of a lady by Henry James

I've been busy having a clear-out on ReaditSwapit lately, ..., The 5 People you Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom came today, ...
The 5 People....is a great book :)
I thought so, too. But not everyone agrees.
A Change Of Regime - J.N. Stroyar
You must be soooo excited about this one. It's just as great as The Children's War.
Three men in a boat Jerome K Jerome.
That's a cute little story.

Oh oh!! I've just received from Amazon (via the link on BGO, of course):

• The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
  • The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney

I may get around to reading them sometime before the and of this decade.

How exciting is it getting new books - there's nothing quite like it

:arms::festive::banana: