Top Posters In This Topic

just bought:

V2 - Robert Harris,

The Mermaid of Black Conch - Monique Roffey

The City We Became - N K Jemison

The Devil and the Dark Water - Stuart Turton

Ask Again, Yes - Mary Beth Keane

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought The Blind Owl (Authorized by The Sadegh Hedayat Foundation - First Translation into English Based on the Bombay Edition) Paperback – 1 Nov. 2011by Sadegh Hedayat  (Author), Naveed Noori (Translator). I will really need to keep away from Goodreads recommendations, 🙂 the TBR was out of control a long time ago!

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Just bought The Blind Owl (Authorized by The Sadegh Hedayat Foundation - First Translation into English Based on the Bombay Edition) Paperback – 1 Nov. 2011by Sadegh Hedayat  (Author), Naveed Noori (Translator). I will really need to keep away from Goodreads recommendations, 🙂 the TBR was out of control a long time ago!

I almost bought the Blind Owl but a YouTube Reviewer (whom I generally respect) wasn't very impressed so I was put off. 

I'd appreciate a second opinion. Let me know what you think. 

3 hours ago, hux said:

I almost bought the Blind Owl but a YouTube Reviewer (whom I generally respect) wasn't very impressed so I was put off. 

I'd appreciate a second opinion. Let me know what you think. 

I will.

ETA  From the research that I did this book hangs on the translation. Apparently the D.P. Costello translation is good but doesn't really give the nuances needed for the book (so they say!)

• 2 weeks later...

Lady Audley's Secret, Mary Elizabeth Braddon and The Illustrated Varney the Vampire; or, The Feast of Blood — In Two Volumes — Volume I: A Romance of Exciting Interest — Original Title: Varney the Vampyre by James Malcolm Rymer, Thomas Preskett Prest, AND The Illustrated Varney the Vampire; or, The Feast of Blood — In Two Volumes — Volume II : A Romance of Exciting Interest — Original Title: Varney the Vampyre by James Malcolm Rymer, Thomas Preskett Prest.  Eeek!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Agnes Grey, Brontë, Anne

The Penguin Book of Exorcisms, Laycock, Joseph P.

A Hero of Our Time, Mikhail Lermonto Mikhail Lermontov

Zeno's Conscience, Svevo, Italo

The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Dickens, Charles

The Celibates Trilogy: Pierrette, The Vicar of Tours & The Black Sheep (The Two Brothers), Balzac, Honoré de

P`ere Goriot, Balzac, Honoré de

Alias Grace, Atwood, Margaret

Just using up a birthday gift certificate from February

• 2 weeks later...