Grammath

I just bought/borrowed/received...

This weeks purchases

Juno Dawson - the gender games: the problem with men and women from someone who has been both

Patty yumi Cottrell - sorry to disrupt the peace

44 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Snopes, the Hamlet, the Town, the Mansion by William Faulkner.  An omnibus edition from the Modern Library of the three books William Faulkner wrote on the Snopes Family.

That's cool! Found this handy edition in a thrift store a few years back. Sad to say it is still collecting dust upon a shelf😑

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

We could have a group read!

Doing all three would be a real project! 1065 pages all together! But it could be done, as long as we didn't put tight time constraints on it. Maybe @Binker would like to join in?

8 hours ago, Dan said:

Doing all three would be a real project! 1065 pages all together! But it could be done, as long as we didn't put tight time constraints on it. Maybe @Binker would like to join in?

Actually, I was joking, but always in a rush to read Faulkner (as you know).  We could just read the first book and see how we go.  Yes, Binker, would you be interested?

8 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Actually, I was joking, but always in a rush to read Faulkner (as you know).  We could just read the first book and see how we go.  Yes, Binker, would you be interested?

Sure thing. I'd be ready to start in a couple weeks. 

I got some back pay today, so I went daft and bought four books, all of which I was looking forward to.

Jon McGregor: Reservoir 13

Gail Honeyman: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Bernard McLaverty: Midwinter Break

Chris Brookmyre: Want You Gone

46 minutes ago, Minxminnie said:

I got some back pay today, so I went daft and bought four books, all of which I was looking forward to.

Jon McGregor: Reservoir 13

Gail Honeyman: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Bernard McLaverty: Midwinter Break

Chris Brookmyre: Want You Gone

Same here pay day today so treated myself to the first two on your list, in paperback, Jon Mcgregor and Gail Honeyman. :)

Let's hope we enjoy them Minx, must admit I'm looking forward to them after the comments on this forum.

William Boyd, Restless.  In the Co-Op public library.  Supermarkets are putting bookcases out and asking the public to donate their used books, it's a LOT more convenient for us than going to the charity shops and when you choose a book you put money into the charity box, anyway.  I got this one for £1! 

15 hours ago, megustaleer said:

You can't go wrong with a William Boyd. Lots of favourable posts for Restless on its BGO htread.

I remembered that he was well repected here so I just took it.  Looking forward to it

Hubby went to the library and brought back a couple of books for himself, one of which I picked up and started reading although if he wants to start with this one I shall graciously hand it back.  It's The Secret Lives of Code Breakers by Sinclair McKay.  All about the Bletchley Park brainy people.  Looks really interesting.

I have surrendered the Secret Lives to Dave, I got about 20 pages in and began to lose interest when there was a description of how the Enigma machine worked - not technical  I have trouble just keeping up with computer stuff, lots of people were engaged in the intelligence gathering and it was a huge operation.  Thankfully with so many excellent mathematicians involved and interpreters it was said to have made the war shorter than it might have been.  Just the best of the best and quite a number of really eccentric characters involved, thank goodness, lots of people who could think outside the box. :hmm:

In a two for £4 offer in Morrisons today : Roald Dahl Cruelty, James Herbert Lair, Bret Easton Ellis American Psycho and a Lynda La Plante for my father the title of which I forget.

Vernon subutex 1 - Virginie despentes

Soviet milk - Nora ikstena

The world goes on - Laszlo krasznahorki

Bought a pile of books today -

You, Caroline Kepnes

A Lesson in Violence, Jordan Harper

Still Life, Louise Penny

Tampa, Alissa Nutting

The Grip of It, Jac Jemc

Fever Dream, Samata Schweblin

The Shining Girls, Lauren Beukes

The Woman in the Walls, Amy Lukavics