I just bought/borrowed/received...

I was passing a bookshop in Bordeaux yesterday during the Grande Braderie where everything is marked down at the end of the sales and put on trestles in the street.  They had several boxes of books in English at 2€ a pop.  I scored:

Don't Point That Thing at Me - Kyril Bonfigioli

Various Pets Alive and Deead - Maria Lewycka

The Newlyweds - NellFreudenberger

The Prisoner of Paradise - Romesh Gunesekera

The Financial Lives of the Poets - Jess Walter

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered that too, Luna.  But I have several ahead of it in line.  I'm going to a friend's book group at the end of this month and they are discussing The Great Gatsby, so I had to get that too.  I've read it several times and not particularly liked it any time, but I will do my part.  This is why I don't actually belong to a book club IRL.

I ordered that too, Luna.  But I have several ahead of it in line.  I'm going to a friend's book group at the end of this month and they are discussing The Great Gatsby, so I had to get that too.  I've read it several times and not particularly liked it any time, but I will do my part.  This is why I don't actually belong to a book club IRL.

I'm going to finish my current read before I get to this and have some 400 pages to go so it will take me a while to get to it too. I've never been in a book group IRL but have heard some horror stories about it so not too disappointed

I have recently bought The Birthday Party by Harold Pinter because I was told that it compares well to Waiting For Godot by Samuel Beckett, I am currently halfway through Act 2 of 3 and it's enjoyable.

I also recently bought the Penguins Little Black Classics version of The Yellow Wall-Paper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, very creepy but very interesting, I really liked it.

I think I'm going to fully indulge and buy the full set of the Little Black Classics!

Oh I should probably add that I bought my plays/novels from 'Wordery', very good value for money if you ask me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the Blyth Tall Ships event and I couldn't resist the urge to go to a local book sale and get some great books for cheap!!

Today I bought:

Macbeth - Shakespeare

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

Great Expectations -  Charles Dickens

Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift

Woman In White - Wilkie Collins

Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson 

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

All for £1.40!!! They are all in amazing condition too, 4 of my new novels are leather bound and from the same collection/series (tuns out they are from the 'Literary Heritage Collection' which was originally distributed by Heron Books)

I have recently just ordered the rest of the MaddAddam Triology, Dancing Girls (also by Atwood) and the complete box-set of Penguins Little Black Classics. Let's just say I have a lot of reading to do before school starts again!  :love:

Edited by Lemlest

Just bought on Kindle A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny, an Inspector Gamache novel set in the fictional Three Pines area in Quebec.  I've enjoyed all of her books and would recommend her to any who enjoy a mystery.  Louise Penny writes very well.

I finally received 'The Year of The Flood' and 'Dancing Girls' by Margaret Atwood, absolutely cannot wait to start reading The Year of The Flood! Oryx and Crake is one of my all time favourite novels and I can't wait to see what Atwood does next 

Lately I can't seem to help but buy books! (Even though my reading pile is MASSIVE)

Today, on my wanderings, I picked up 'Theo' by Ed Taylor. I have never heard of Ed Taylor before and the book itself was in the weirdest place? I was hunting for some wire meshing for my garden and I somehow stumbled upon this book in the gardening section of some random bargain store that I happened to walk into! I think the only reason I decided to buy it was because of it's eye-catching cover, but I am very eager to start reading it.

Lately I can't seem to help but buy books! (Even though my reading pile is MASSIVE).

*laughs* Welcome to the perplexing world of reading and the addiction that comes with it. We can't help you though because we are all in the same boat but at least you have someone to talk to. Enjoy.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Lately I can't seem to help but buy books! (Even though my reading pile is MASSIVE)

Today, on my wanderings, I picked up 'Theo' by Ed Taylor. I have never heard of Ed Taylor before and the book itself was in the weirdest place? I was hunting for some wire meshing for my garden and I somehow stumbled upon this book in the gardening section of some random bargain store that I happened to walk into! I think the only reason I decided to buy it was because of it's eye-catching cover, but I am very eager to start reading it.

Lemlest, this thread used to be called " Oh no, I've done it again! ". Just saying.

I have bought even more books! God help me I can't seem to stop  :D

Today I bought:

The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood

The House Of The Dead - Fedor Dostoieffsky

Schrodinger's Kittens - John Gribbin (I have no idea how to do the accent)

Sociology Themes and Perspectives - M. Haralambos

A History Of Philosophy - Frederick Copleston