Grammath

I just bought/borrowed/received...

Finished Splinter the Silence by Val McDermid, good police and profiling plot, with some clever slightly illegal cyber hacking which opens up the plot.

Was in Dublin today, got three books

Story of a new name - Elena ferrante

13 ways of looking - column McCain

The motel life - willy vlautin

The column McCann book is a novella and 3 short stories. One came to 12 pages which I read while having lunch

First time poster. Long time lurker while living in Connecticut.  I'm back writing a sci-fi novel that i first started back in 2013. I like to take breaks from writing by reading light material and short reads.  Recently a friend turned me on to a joke book titled Jokes Against Humanity which I finished in a little over an hour.  The problem is it has some really dark humor, yet i found myself laughing silly at several topics that I normally would find offensive.   Can anyone recommend other joke books in the same vein as this one  (ie raunchy yet funny)?  I'd like to reciprocate to my friend.  Thanks!

Do you work at something that requires you read economic textbooks chongjasmine?

Can't beat the price Clavain.  Funny thing about my Kindle, occasionally there will be a book arrive which I didn't order and it's by a good author, I think they sometimes do a free book thing to boost sales which is alright with me.

Two library books and one Kindle download:-

Barchester Towers - Anthony Trollope

Home Coming- Susie Steiner

Yeah Yeah Yeah:The Story of Modern Pop - Bob Stanley

You do seem to like William Faulkner Luna. I have never read any of his books and have been put off a little by comnents of other readers suggesting that they can be a bit hard going. Now that I am coming to the end of The Poldark series I will be looking for a new author. Maybe someone could suggest where to start with Faulkner!

RG and I have been going down memory lane a bit and aquired copies of A Choice of Poets and Modern Short Stories. Both were set books at 'O' level years ago! We are really looking forward to becoming reaquainted with the two books. It was books like these that started our love of literature.

I LOVE William Faulkner!

I started with the group read of The Sound and the Fury. It did not suit everybody because it is written in stream of consciousness. Not all of his books are stream of consciousness - although I have no doubt that you are more than capable of reading s-o-c - so you could start with Flags in the Dust which is not s-o-c or his short stories.

I LOVE William Faulkner!

Luna, this makes me so happy.  Cherry Pie, you could read The Sound and the Fury using the information on the read we did as a group, including my spoilers, which I think make it easier to understand, but Luna is right that it's a difficult read, especially the first chapter.  It is considered one of his best, though.

When I was in high school (not sure what it's called in the UK--I was 15 when I started and then graduated at 18), we read Intruders in the Dust and a short story called "The Bear" in my next-to-the-last year.  That was to get us prepped for The Sound and the Fury, which we read my final year in high school.  I still remember starting that first chapter and realizing that I would need to grapple with it.   Actually, we read a lot of great literature in those two classes:  Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn and Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man.  Probably that's where I really honed my love of reading.

You do seem to like William Faulkner Luna. I have never read any of his books and have been put off a little by comnents of other readers suggesting that they can be a bit hard going. Now that I am coming to the end of The Poldark series I will be looking for a new author. Maybe someone could suggest where to start with Faulkner!

RG and I have been going down memory lane a bit and aquired copies of A Choice of Poets and Modern Short Stories. Both were set books at 'O' level years ago! We are really looking forward to becoming reaquainted with the two books. It was books like these that started our love of literature.

I've always felt that Light in August was a good intro to Faulkner. It is one of the most accessible, yet it could only have been written by Faulkner

I've always felt that Light in August was a good intro to Faulkner. It is one of the most accessible, yet it could only have been written by Faulkner

Thanks for the advice, may well give it a try.

I've just finished Collective Mind by Klyukin as a beta reader. I like it, but author decide to rewrite some moments and delete book from internet instead of that fact that Eva Longoria, Natalia Vodianova and Frederic Beigbeder consider this book worthreading! Strange man! However, writing book is infinity in some way..

I just bought the Kindle version of The World's Most Dangerous Secret Societies. It should make interesting if not scary reading.

Edited by momac

The 'Most Dangerous Secret Societies' is not for me, almost anyone who has or had celebrity status seemed to be mixed up in one of these organizations, whether true or not.  Will leave it for others who want to delve into secrets and conspiracies, read part of it and then returned it. 

I wasted 2 hours last night trying to get The Mysteries of Paris, Eugene Sue, Part One to download (from Project Gutenberg) to my Kindle app.  I succeeded eventually but it just convinced me more that paper is the medium for me, even if I have to pay for it.

No disrespect meant for those who have and are using Kindles.

Little parcel from Amazon that for once I was at home to take delivery of, so no trek to the Post Office - hooray! Second volume of Elena Ferrante's Neopolitan series, The Story of a New Name, Donal Ryan's short story collection A Slanting of the Sun, The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma and To Kill a Mockingbird for my daughter.