Grammath

I just bought/borrowed/received...

The British in India:Three Centuries of Ambition aand Experience

David Gilmour

Milkman, Anna Burns, as recommended by MrHG and The ABC Murders, Agatha Christie, as seen on TV this Christmas period.  I've also seen David Suchet's version and I just want to see what Agatha actually wrote.

I have bought the ebook version of Summoned to the Thirteenth Grave by Darynda Jones which is the 13th and final installment in the fabulous long running Charley Davidson series, which I found and 'binge read' last year, I pre-ordered it to arrive as soon as it was released which it just has been, earlier this week.  I am currently reading something else but this has immediately been bumped to the top of my TBR list.

Also recently bought: (all ebooks)

The Black Mile by Mark Dawson,

Doll House by John Hunt, 

Human Remains by Elizabeth Haynes,

Marking Time by April White (This was actually a free ebook so not holding my breath as to how good it is)

Edited by Apple

I got Dark Genesis by A D Koboah as an ebook, I say 'got' rather than bought because it was actually FREE  it's the first in a trilogy and you obviously have to buy the rest.  It sounds intriguing and covers the emotive subject of slavery but there is also a supernatural twist.  From how it reads it sounds like vampires are involved but I could be wrong.  This is either going to be very good or very bad!  

Edited by Apple

The Ice Virgin, Hans Christian Andersen.  Apparently, he wrote stories for grown ups too. Recommended by Lizzie Siddal, once of this group, via her FB page. It's a short story and I bought it on paper

Edited by lunababymoonchild

The Darkness Of Wallis Simpson by Rose Tremain.

Another venture into reading short stories.

I have loved all but one of the Rose Tremain novels I have read, and last year accidentally bought a collection of her short stories (Evangelista's Fan), which I also enjoyed, so am hoping for good things from this collection.

A quick trip to Oxfam during my lunch break resulted in:

Nutshell - Ian McEwan

Pope Joan - Donna Woolfolk Cross

The Rider - Tim Krabbe

Merckx - William Fotherington

Detective Inspector Huss - Helene Tursten

The Torso - Helen Tursten

Having a little time to kill before my U3A Singing group started this morning I browsed the charity bookstall in the Co-op. There's usually nothing there of interest, but today I came away with The House on The Strand by Daphne du Maurier, and Small Steps by Louis Sachar. 

Not sure about either of them.

The du Maurier was written in the late 1960s, not my favourite literart period, and much later than my favourite du Maurier books. Small Steps is, apparently, the third in the Holes series and, although I greatly enjoyed Holes, I have not read the second book and don't know how this one will work as a stsnd alone story.

I enjoyed House on The Strand, it's a bit different to her usual books but I liked it, might seem a bit far-fetched though!