5 members have voted

1. 1. Which book?

• The Never Never
    • Snow Water
    • The Soho Leopard
    • Landing Light
    • Dart

Hello,

I believe this is the first post to the poetry forum. I'm neither an administrator or an authority on poetry, and hope that after I've initiated this someone more capable might take over. I suggest discussing one, or two books a month in detail, with the possibility of posting any kind of critique you want to the forum - of the whole collection, of one poem, of one image. Above all, I would honour honesty and accuracy, not heedless praise.

Being half-immersed in the British poetry scene I suggest to begin with picking one book from the T S Eliot Prize Shortlist:

The Never Never by Kathryn Gray

Snow Water by Michael Longley

The Soho Leopard by Ruth Padel

Landing Light by Don Paterson

Dart by Alice Oswald

My preference is for Longley, but I hope to set up a voting system for this.

Hello,

I believe this is the first post to the poetry forum. I'm neither an administrator or an authority on poetry, and hope that after I've initiated this someone more capable might take over. I suggest discussing one, or two books a month in detail, with the possibility of posting any kind of critique you want to the forum - of the whole collection, of one poem, of one image. Above all, I would honour honesty and accuracy, not heedless praise.

Being half-immersed in the British poetry scene I suggest to begin with picking one book from the T S Eliot Prize Shortlist:

The Never Never by Kathryn Gray

Snow Water by Michael Longley

The Soho Leopard by Ruth Padel

Landing Light by Don Paterson

Dart by Alice Oswald

My preference is for Longley, but I hope to set up a voting system for this.

Ok, I have the Longley one, so am happy to go with that. It takes me ages

however to read poems - so should we pick on a couple and discuss those?

Okay, we'll start with Longley then; I'll begin a new thread. Hopefully if we just get going more people will join in - tell everyone you think might be interested.

I'm just going to discuss one poem - the problems I have with it, the questions, and, inevitably, a little of what I like about it - but you can approach it whichever way you like. Taking ages to read poems is a good thing!

What we really need is a whole forum for poetry, if not a whole board, so that each book can have its own discussion area with several threads. Maybe they'll promote us if we show lots of activity, otherwise we can rebel and create our own.

Nick.

Your wish is my command, Nick!

I have already discussed it with the very clever chap at http://www.distortion.co.uk who did the really hard work in building this site, and he's going to move the poetry forum into a much more prominent position under General Fiction. It will mean shutting the site for a short time, so we have to choose the best time for that.

There is no problem at all in discussing more than one poem at a time. The more the merrier! I would love it if poetry lovers felt this was a place they could come and congregate to share their thoughts and feelings.

Bill,

Webmaster, BGO

Now you've terrified me. I was getting used to being tucked away in a corner where no one could see. Will it have its own sub-forums, or just threads? I think Sue suggested elsewhere the possibility of also discussing classic poetry. Perhaps two sub-forums, one on contemporary, one on pre-1950, would be good? I don't know.

More than one poetry forum also sounds a good idea. Incidentally I have bought, but not read yet, Gilgamesh - a new English version by Stephen Mitchell - anyone else like to read and discuss it?

It had a good write up somewhere - I'm happy to buy it and might get round to reading it over Xmas.

With regard to Michael Longley's Snow Leopard and it being shortlisted for the T S Eliot prize 2004, the poetry book society are doing a reading of the books on 16th Jan 2-5pm at UCL Bloomsbury. Last year I went to a group reading run by the PBS and found it very interesting, you can always pick up insights from other people. I shall probably go to this reading too.

Any more views on starting a new thread on Gilgamesh as well as Snow Water?

Hi Sue, go ahead with it. I'm sure more people will join in. As long as we have say one structured, regular book a month then you should be able to post up any book that you also happen to be reading. I only suggested those five because I thought most people would have at least one.

Nick.