The Stand

shazzer

Hi

Just thought i would start a thread. have just recently started reading The Stand (i haven't finished it yet so please do not spoil it) and so far i am really enjoying it.

It strange, the book was written in the late 70's - its almost as old as me. But still 25 or so years on its really relevant - Captain Tripps the mysterious flu bug - could that be Bird Flu or the Sars of a few years back. Germ warfare - was certainly an issue when we started this war in Iraq - a weapon of mass destrucion - as far as i have read it appears to be doing that job well!!!

Am i reading to much in or is it just as striking to anyone else???

Still want to read Salem's Lot as its one of his earlier novels too

Shazzer - King is probably my favourite author of all. The Stand is one that I haven't got around to, although I do have a copy sitting in my TBR pile. When you get the chance, try the Dark Tower series - there are some links to The Stand around Book 4 or 5.

I'm reading Different Seasons - King's first book of non-horror stories, which includes an interesting Afterword, written in 1982, in which he says he was worried about being "typed" as a horror writer!

Salem's Lot is a much more traditional horror story, which contains the strongest links to the Dark Tower series.

I think the only book of King's that I didn't like was The Dark Half.

hi

I think i have read Different Seasons - is it a book of four separate short novella's - i think one is about a plane crash - or am i way off key

i have always thought that the Dark Towers would poss be too sci fi for me but i have yet to try it - i have seen it in library - maybe that will be next

I really liked the Dark Half ( i am not so good at reading critically (i liked the idea of the a dark half of a person - i have suffered from depression on and off for the past 4 years)

I think i just like a book i can relate to....... maybe it can help me solve all my problems or maybe its just an escape. Who knows and to be honest who cares why, I just love reading books YYYAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I think i have read Different Seasons - is it a book of four separate short novella's - i think one is about a plane crash - or am i way off key

Yes, that's the one, Shazza. Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption was the first one, and I'm currently on the second (Apt Pupil?) about a boy and a German war criminal. Some of the themes of King's later books were beginning to be explored here.

Dark Tower isn't sci-fi, although it has sci-fi elements, along with fantasy, horror, western, romance. Can't recommend it highly enough (but read Salem's Lot and The Stand first).

my local library has it in the sci-fi section which has always put me off - but i want to start reading all book types including sci fi - always quite fancied terry pratchett - dont know why ...

my library doesnt have the best selection but its not too bad

Shazzer

Funny that as I have just found the full version in my local library(The Stand) I like King's big books thouroughly enjoying "IT" Just finished Pet Cemetary & really enjoyed that too. Some of is I find hard work. Just got the Dark Tower No 2 Cnnot seem to find No1.

Looking forward to some Sci fi.

Colin. :D

• 1 year later...

Hi, Thought I'd add my comments and along the way revert to the original theme of this forum - 'The Stand'.

I have read 'The Stand' and seen the film, and usually the film doesn't do the book justice, but this one kept to the nature of the message really well. Of course this is just my oppinion (and the oppinion of the film maker too). Films are just one person's interpretation of the book, and obviously ours matched.

The book is one of my favourites of Mr King (he is held in too high esteem for me to dare use his first name), and my knuckles had gone numb whilst reading it as I never put it down. Having said that, I have to point out one of Mr Kings failings - he never really ends his books well. Sure everything is tied up, everything is factually correct, the correct mix of suspense and conclusion is applied, but I'm generally left disappointed with few exceptions: 'It' is one and my favourite 'Insomnia' is another.

Now I have expressed an oppinion (albeit short and vague), can I ask what other peopl think of film adaptations of Mr Kings books.

I really liked The Stand and enjoyed reading it. And, no, the film is pretty poor. I think the only King books that adapr well to film are the short stories. Certainly the most successful films all came from the short stories in Different Seasons: Rita Hayworth...(Shawshank Redemption), The Body (Stand By Me), and Apt Pupil.

Regretfully though, King has gone the way of his films and has become generally tiresome. The last book of his I bought was From A Buick 8, and now only a bare handful of his books remain on my shelves. It's a shame.

• 1 month later...

The Stand is one of my all-time-favourites. When I worked as a lab scientist I worked in infectious disease research, particularly respiratory pathogens and for me his description of the global spread of the disease is incredible. Not to mention the rest of the book :)

I've never seen the film so can't comment on it. I also loved the book Insomnia as it was very well finished but like a lot of people I've become tired of his later works. I haven't liked any of the Dark Tower series or his most recent works.

• 4 weeks later...

The Stand is in my top three all time favourites - a great (if long) read altho' I do agree with alot of people in that the ending could have been that much better. I would avoid the film tho (it was actually a made for TV film for USA) - it definately doesn't do the book any justice imho. SK, in his earlier days, produced some great horror writing, Salem's Lot, The Shining, Carrie, Christine all great books that went onto be great films but I think his best days are long gone - he moved too far away from his horror roots and more and more into the :confused: 'dreamlike, escapism' world for my liking altho' one of his latest efforts 'Cell' did certainly move him back towards his genuine grizzly beginnings.

I think 'The Stand' is one of my favourite Stephen King books also. I found it quite different to most of his other books and for me the 'horror' aspect doesn't come over quite as strongly. It took me quite some time to get through it though...it's huge!

Has anyone read 'The Talisman' by Stephen King and Peter Straub. That is another of my all time favourites and it does have some similarities to 'The Stand'.

I think 'The Stand' is one of my favourite Stephen King books also. I found it quite different to most of his other books and for me the 'horror' aspect doesn't come over quite as strongly. It took me quite some time to get through it though...it's huge!

Has anyone read 'The Talisman' by Stephen King and Peter Straub. That is another of my all time favourites and it does have some similarities to 'The Stand'.

I have read 'The Talisman' k8e, I agree with you, it is an excellent book.

• 2 weeks later...

The Stand and The Talisman are two of my favorite books, not only of Stephen King's, but of all time! I think what makes The Stand so scary is that the situation in which the human race finds itself is all too believable. How do we know that the government isn't busy creating superbugs that could wipe out 99% of the world's population? I would find it harder to believe that they weren't!

• 1 month later...

The Stand is my favourite but I am currently finishing the Dark Tower series, got the last one left and then I am done. This series has had me loving some books and hating others for example it has taken me a year to finish Song of Susannah, I kept picking it up and then putting it down again. I finally finished it last night and am giving myself a couple of books break before starting the final one.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

It strange, the book was written in the late 70's - its almost as old as me. But still 25 or so years on its really relevant - Captain Tripps the mysterious flu bug - could that be Bird Flu or the Sars of a few years back. Germ warfare - was certainly an issue when we started this war in Iraq - a weapon of mass destrucion - as far as i have read it appears to be doing that job well!!!

Am i reading to much in or is it just as striking to anyone else???

Still want to read Salem's Lot as its one of his earlier novels too

Stephen King at his best is absolutely amazing - I remember reading The Stand & just not wanting it to end. In the horror genre, the same goes for The Shining, Salem's Lot, Carrie, It, The Tommyknockers, & others I can't quite bring to mind just now.

My favourite King books are his 'straight' ones, e.g. Rita Hayworth & The Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, The Body etc. Also The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Dolores Claiborne & Hearts In Atlantis (probably my favourite Stephen King book).

It's worth saying, however, that his bad books are - well, pretty bad. In my opinion, anyway. In this category I'd definitely put Desperation, Insomnia, Bag Of Bones, & possibly Needful Things.

But I was very sniffy about Stephen Kind before I'd read any of his books - thought he was a bit 'below' my notice, as it were. I was very surprised, therefore, to discover that: a) he writes really well, & B) his stories are incredibly engaging.

Good luck discovering the rest!

My favourite King books are his 'straight' ones, e.g. Rita Hayworth & The Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, The Body etc.

Isn't that just one book of short stories - Different Seasons?

his bad books are - well, pretty bad. In my opinion, anyway. In this category I'd definitely put Desperation, Insomnia, Bag Of Bones, & possibly Needful Things.

I agree about Insomnia, but Desperation, Bag of Bones and Needful Things are among my favourites. I love the twin to Desperation, The Regulators too.