Sign in to follow this  

Subtitle : Murder, Fraud and the Last Trial of Harper Lee.

This is a non-fiction book about a man called Reverend Willie Maxwell, his lawyer and Harper Lee.  

Reverend Willie Maxwell was a rural preacher, in Alabama, accused of murdering five of his family members for insurance money in the 1970s.  His clever lawyer got him off all charges and then, at a funeral of one of his alleged victims, a relative shot him dead.  The same lawyer then managed to get the shooter off. This took place in Harper Lee's home state and she became fascinated by the whole thing so went back to research the crimes with the intention of writing a book about it.  She did do the research but never wrote the book.

Casey Cep wrote the book that Harper Lee didn't and a very good job she does of it.  The book is divided into three parts : The Reverend, The Lawyer and Harper Lee. This means that the author can go into detail about each part, and she does. I thought that she spent just a little too long on the explanations of the insurance but then perhaps it was necessary because it was somewhat complicated and, I have to admit, not that interesting. Everything else was fascinating.

Well researched, well written and absolutely fascinating, in all aspects - except, perhaps, insurance. I learned a lot about Harper Lee that I didn't already know and it becomes clear why she never wrote another book after To Kill a Mockingbird.

Recommended

Edited by lunababymoonchild