At 165 pages, in my copy, I'd say this was a short story.  It's classed as a dystopian novel and has won an award.

It tells the story of life through the eyes of a boy who turns twelve years old in, what seems to him (and portrayed to the reader), a perfect society.  However, he is given his lifetime profession at his coming of age ceremony and since he's been chosen as the new Receiver his eyes are opened gradually to the imperfections that he wasn't aware of that run the society.  The old Receiver becomes the Giver of the title.

This is the first of a quartet that I bought in one volume and I look forward to reading the other three parts.  This was well written and I did not spot the twist at the end.

Recommended.  

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Flingo
      Lois Lowry was another author that I adored as a child with her series about Anastasia Krupnik. I hadn't realised that she was also a winner of the Newbury Medal (the American equivalent of the Carnegie Medal - judged by Librarians) in 1994 for this book, The Giver. It's completely different to her other books, and I honestly couldn't tell you if I'd read it when I was still at school.

This is science fiction for younger readers, so some of the themes aren't as developed as they might be in a full blown adult sci-fi. This may be a deal breaker for some adult readers, but it really shouldn't affect it's intended audience (compare to Stephenie Meyer or J K Rowling!) or those willing to suspend a bit of belief.

I can see why it earned it's Newbury medal - it's well written but easy to read, it's certainly delivers on developing the reader and giving a lasting experience from the book.

It's also been done many times since in YA fiction - clearly the greatest form of flattery!