Sign in to follow this  
lunababymoonchild

Mid Year Review

So, how is your reading going?  Is it according to plan?  Do you have a plan?  Do you have a list?  Do you set goals?  Do you keep a reading diary and if so, how - paper, digital etc

I keep a spreadsheet of everything that I read and I also keep a database (it's an app) of all the books that I possess, read and unread.  It gives me all sorts of information that I have found geekily useful including that I have so far read 405 books and possess 605 books, so the gap between reading and possessing is closing and much faster than I anticipated.  I am now happy with my reading rate having previously thought it too slow and am embarking on my 29th book of the year (at 165 pages it's a short story really) at the end of the 28th week.  Naturally, not all the books I've read this year take a week but that's the average.  I seem to be interested in strong independent women this year, having read 4 non-fiction books about the lives of 3 out of the 4 that I'd never heard of. I've also come across a lot of books through browsing the internet, not all of them interesting but some were. I don't have a plan or a list, choosing what to read from the books I have available (although I still buy books)  and my goal is, as it always has been, to read more books this year than I did last year.  Not sure how that's going tbh, I haven't checked. I am, despite the above, more interested in enjoying my reading and making sure that I read a wide breadth of material across a broad spectrum of fictional and non-fictional books. I have enjoyed what I've read so far and look forward to reading more enjoyable books during the rest of the year.

I'm also looking forward to hearing what everybody else is doing.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

I don't have a plan - just to try and get some reading done, which has not been all that successful in recent years.

However:

I am now on book 9 for 2019 - which is already three times the number I read in 2018, and seemingly 9 times as many as I read in 2017 (I'm sure that cant be true, but can find no mention on BGO of more than one book started that year).

So, this year can already be considered a success, thanks to the unscheduled medical emergency.

I don't set myself targets or have a plan, just read what takes my fancy when I can. Noticed that half way through the year I've only read 10 books which is a kind of record for me. Reading the door stopper  Les Misérables took up a big chunk of my year and then there's the weather. I suffer from hayfever when the pollen count gets very high and this year so far has been horrible. When you want to read outside when the sun is shining but your eyes are sore and watering it gets a little frustrating. Having said that I've got a lot of books on the tbr pile to look forward to in the second half of the year and winter is coming :)

My target is 50, so far I have read 31 by my counting but July was a poor month for me. Mostly I have read short books so far, average length 234 pages 

I was off last week and read about 100 pages. It was too hot which made me tired to read.

I don't set a target, live is too variable to hold myself to a number, I just read when I can. But, as I have relayed on this site before, I do have a reading plan. Years ago I found I would buy lots of books that I wanted to read but would actually avoid reading them. Various reasons, too long, too hard etc. So I wrote out a list of genres etc which goes something like fiction old (pre 1960) biography, fiction new, travel etc it is a list of sixteen topics and some of them are repeated and within it I have 'own choice' in case a book appears that I can't wait to read. Within the categories I will either read in alphabetical order or chronological order if a specific author. I know most people would hate this but I like having my next book already decided and by alternating between fact and fiction I don't have that thing where a great work of fiction stays with you and affects the next work of fiction you try to read. I have also, because of this system, tackled and enjoyed a lot of those books that were just languishing on my shelves.

What is the App you use Luna? Apologies if I have asked you that before and my aging brain has decided to delete the information 🙂 

1 hour ago, Tay said:

I don't set a target, live is too variable to hold myself to a number, I just read when I can. But, as I have relayed on this site before, I do have a reading plan. Years ago I found I would buy lots of books that I wanted to read but would actually avoid reading them. Various reasons, too long, too hard etc. So I wrote out a list of genres etc which goes something like fiction old (pre 1960) biography, fiction new, travel etc it is a list of sixteen topics and some of them are repeated and within it I have 'own choice' in case a book appears that I can't wait to read. Within the categories I will either read in alphabetical order or chronological order if a specific author. I know most people would hate this but I like having my next book already decided and by alternating between fact and fiction I don't have that thing where a great work of fiction stays with you and affects the next work of fiction you try to read. I have also, because of this system, tackled and enjoyed a lot of those books that were just languishing on my shelves.

What is the App you use Luna? Apologies if I have asked you that before and my aging brain has decided to delete the information 🙂 

Sounds like a good plan to me, and if it works why not?  The app is called Book Crawler and is written for iOS so to be found on the Apple App website.

On 09/08/2019 at 11:21, lunababymoonchild said:

Sounds like a good plan to me, and if it works why not?  The app is called Book Crawler and is written for iOS so to be found on the Apple App website.

Thanks Luna, don't seem to be able to get Book Crawler on android so I've gone one called My Library. But now I have the huge task of getting all the books onto the thing, it's just a scan the barcode job but still time consuming. 

4 hours ago, Tay said:

Thanks Luna, don't seem to be able to get Book Crawler on android so I've gone one called My Library. But now I have the huge task of getting all the books onto the thing, it's just a scan the barcode job but still time consuming. 

Glad to hear you got something. I know, it took me ages to get it done. My phone is Android and I'm not scanning 615 books in  to a new database!

Edited by lunababymoonchild