Sign in to follow this  
lunababymoonchild

Clock Without Hands

Famous for The Heart is a Lonely Hunter it did not occur to me that she had written anything else.  Until this popped up on my Instagram feed.  Apparently it's her final novel.  And what a novel it is!

Set in the American South, in a small town run by white people just around the time when segregation was being abolished.  It concentrates on the lives of four men : J T Malone, a middle-aged pharmacist, John Clane an elderly judge whose mind is beginning to wander, Jester grandson of the judge and closet homosexual  - all of whom are white - and Sherman a blue-eyed mix-raced black man around the same age as Jester (late teens early twenties).  There are other themes running through the book which are not difficult to access but not all of them are obvious.  All of their lives are intricately intermixed and they affect each other. 

The prose is lyrical and sweet and a joy to read.  The story is good, the characters believable, and the title is referred to in the book to explain it's meaning - and it's a profound meaning so I won't spoil it.

It's very well worth reading and not a long book, some 201 pages, but it does contain the N-word in several different forms.  Although this was used in dialogue and showed how people, both black and white, spoke at the time it was not there to indicate an insult.  It is there, though and I thought that I should mention it.

Highly recommended.

3 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Famous for The Heart is a Lonely Hunter it did not occur to me that she had written anything else.  Until this popped up on my Instagram feed.  Apparently it's her final novel.  And what a novel it is!

Set in the American South, in a small town run by white people just around the time when segregation was being abolished.  It concentrates on the lives of four men : J T Malone, a middle-aged pharmacist, John Clane an elderly judge whose mind is beginning to wander, Jester grandson of the judge and closet homosexual  - all of whom are white - and Sherman a blue-eyed mix-raced black man around the same age as Jester (late teens early twenties).  There are other themes running through the book which are not difficult to access but not all of them are obvious.  All of their lives are intricately intermixed and they affect each other. 

The prose is lyrical and sweet and a joy to read.  The story is good, the characters believable, and the title is referred to in the book to explain it's meaning - and it's a profound meaning so I won't spoil it.

It's very well worth reading and not a long book, some 201 pages, but it does contain the N-word in several different forms.  Although this was used in dialogue and showed how people, both black and white, spoke at the time it was not there to indicate an insult.  It is there, though and I thought that I should mention it.

Highly recommended.

You forgot to mention the author's name... 😐

8 hours ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

You forgot to mention the author's name... 😐

The author's name is in the red tag next to the title of the book.  If you click the red tag you'll see all the books by this author that have been reviewed

Thanks Luna, I loved The Heart is a Lonely Hunter so will add this to the list.