Sign in to follow this  
Lucian Hodoboc

Impactful non-fiction books

In this thread, I'd like to discuss about non-fiction books that we could call "life changing". Has any non-fiction book made you see life in a different light (whether in a positive or a negative manner) or had a powerful impact upon your beliefs or principles? Feel free to share a few titles, and tell us some details about how these non-fiction books influenced you. 🙂

Top my head I can think of two.

Naomi Klein - This Changes Everything https://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Changes-Everything-Capitalism-Climate-ebook/dp/B00JK52W1Q/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=naomi+klein&qid=1559431948&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

A book that I think started my awareness of humanities destruction of the planet and will get more important as the decades progress.

Owen Jones - The Establishment https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KTRZJI2/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

I know he's left wing but it shows how much your life is effected by institutions you have no control over. An eye opener and should be read by everyone whatever your political persuasion.

I think one which had a profound effect on me was Until the Final Hour by Traudl Junge.  She was Hitlers secretary and as the title of the book suggests she was with him in the bunker until the time he killed himself.  Everyone has this concept of Adolf Hitler, the deranged madman who was completely evil.  Yet this books shows that someone saw him differently.  It is interesting to read how she saw Hitler and how she genuinely liked him and how she talks about him as an ordinary human being.  You also read how that fact doesn't sit well with her and how she feels a profound sense of guilt for 'liking' one of history's greatest monsters especially as after the war and the extent of the atrocities came to light.

I don't know why I missed this topic.  

The non fiction book that had the most impact on me was a biography of Dennis Nilsen, the serial killer - Killing For Company, by Brian Masters. I'd been reading this type of thing for years by this time but I realised that this one was different when I actually had a nightmare about it. I did finish the book but moved away from the genre.

Edited by lunababymoonchild
To add “this topic” so the sentence made sense

For me it was The Story of Art by  E.H. Gombrich. It was many years ago and well before I took an art module with the O.U.  The professor's language was straightforward and the colour plates so well chosen. It just  kept drawing me in.