Weirdest book you've ever read

Years ago a flatmate leant me Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5, and I thought that was strange. Just recently I tried House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski but that was just too much like hard work and I didn't finish that either.

The weirdest book I ever read was Stephen Wells' T*ts out Teenage Terror Totty: "A perpetually resurrected Princess Di who is just as soon killed again to..."

Close behind was Tommy Udo's delightfully titled Vatican Bloodbath

What's the weirdest book you ever read? ie, all the way through. I'm sure we've all started something and thought, this is not for me.

[bill, feel free to convert the Amazon links to BGO's]

Haven't read the Da Vinci Cod, but I'm interested in the apparent assumption in the original post that a 'weird' book is one you probably wouldn't want to finish. Maybe I haven't read anything weird enough (and T*ts Out Teenage Terror Totty admittedly sounds weirder than I've yet encountered!) but on the whole I tend to enjoy something 'strange' - so long as it has some sort of rationale/quality.

Iain Banks' more 'out there' books are probably the weirdest I've read (The Bridge, Song of Stone and even The Wasp Factory) and I greatly enjoyed them. Of course, this probably just makes me weird...

I've been thinking about this - and actually I think some of the strangest books I have read have been Man Booker winners. "The Famished Road" (Okri) is one that sticks in my mind as leaving a feeling of "what was that all about?". I also think that "The little prince" (Saint Expury) is weird!

Hmmm...Steven Wells. There's something desperately, relentlessly self-conscious about that guy's work - I often wonder whether he was accidentally castrated as a kid.

Weirdest book? I'd say William S Burroughs' 'Naked Lunch' takes some beating...

Ah, dear old Seething, what is he up to these days? I reckon all that SHOUTING AND SWEARING IN CAPITAL LETTERS was a sign of A.D.D.

Burroughs is certainly odd, but when I need a dose of the peculiar I usually reach for a Philip K Dick. The filmed versions of his work barely hint at the bizarre and paranoid mind behind his vast literary output.

I also think that "The little prince" (Saint Expury) is weird!

Admittedly it was wierd - but it was very wonderful too :)

Still thinking of my own answer to this - I've certainly read (and sometimes enjoyed) some really wierd stuff - I just can't remember what they were called :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Rescued Replies

Stewart 18th December 2005 12:50 AM

The Atrocity Exhibition, JG Ballard

House of Leaves, however, was an interesting read but, like you, I abandoned it. It was taking up far too much time and only one part of it was interesting; and there was plenty more interesting books out there to read.

Mungus 18th December 2005 11:06 AM

I finished House of Leaves and I can tell you that you didn't miss anything.

Hilary 18th December 2005 04:33 PM

Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter. Anyone read it? :thinking:

megustaleer 18th December 2005 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hilary

Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter. Anyone read it? :thinking:

Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter -discussion thread

Momo 29th December 2005 11:14 PM

May I mention two books - they're a tie:

John Lanchester "The Debt to Pleasure"

Douglas Glover “Elle” They were both pretty weird. Mind you, the first one I did understand at the end although I didn't enjoy reading it. The second one I read twice and still didn't get the meaning. Both were book club books (therefore I read "Elle" twice) which I might never have chosen myself.

BTW, I agree with Flingo, "The Little Prince" is pretty weird, too. But he is certainly topped by the two I mentioned.

Page 2

29th December 2005, 11:45 PM

Adrian

Originally Posted by Momo

John Lanchester "The Debt to Pleasure"

I loved the Debt to Pleasure. The story was teased out so skilfully, and the food bits were, well, mouthwatering.

I've just come back from the library, but I might have to go again and see if it's available - my copy is in storage somewhere

Grammath 30th December 2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by chrisqqgx4

I loved the Debt to Pleasure. The story was teased out so skilfully, and the food bits were, well, mouthwatering.

I loved it too. What a fiendishly splendid character Tarquin Winot is, even the name is just right. He has something of the Humbert Humberts about him. I thought it very clever and enjoyed it a great deal.

Momo 30th December 2005, 11:33 PM

Oooh, I'm glad somebody did because no-one, absolutely no-one in my book club enjoyed it.

This year I have finished two very odd books:

The Pronographer's Poem by Michael Turner. I know, you are probably saying that the title alone should have given me warning, but I thought it was just catchy.

Scar Culture by Toni Davidson. Afte reading the first two chapters you are very thankful for the third. Why? Because you begin to wonder if this is a book of short stories since the first two chapters seem to have nothing to do with each other at all. Then when you meet the psychologist.....oh boy.

Iain Banks' more 'out there' books are probably the weirdest I've read (The Bridge, Song of Stone and even The Wasp Factory) and I greatly enjoyed them. Of course, this probably just makes me weird...

I'm with David in the weirdness stakes.

I found The Wasp Factory very strange and unsettling but I don't dislike it.

I've just finished House of Leaves and that was pretty weird.

I remember reading Brave New World years ago and finding it not weird, exactly, but it stood out in my memory. Ditto with some of the passages in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest, though I may have been too young to really understand them. (I read it in my early teens)

I don't think I've read a really weird one since this was last discussed but if I had to choose the most weird one from last year it would probably be The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Some of you might remember that I didn't like it because it didn't make any sense to me.